pitting in bore riling

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: pitting in bore riling

Post by nagarifle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:25 pm

TwoRivers wrote:Naga: Don't know where you got that quote, but as written it won't work.
you mean for bore lapping or removal of pitting?
Coming next week: Darwin Awards.
hope i get the top Award, as i need one. :roll:
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:14 pm

TwoRivers wrote:Naga: Don't know where you got that quote, but as written it won't work. Also, if you could lap all of the bore to get a pit out, you'd have an oversized bore. If you just lap 2" from the muzzle, you have a belled muzzle, and accuracy gone out the window.

The Doc's suggestion is by far the best. Could be a lucrative sideline. Only one thing, for the solder to bond, the work has to be hot enough to melt the solder. So we'll need a micro torch as well. Or we could heat up the whole works. But don't forget to take the stock off. As to putting a file down the muzzle of a rifle.....get that gun away from that guy. :mrgreen:

There must be some dentist on the forum. In my opinion, he'd be most qualified to fill a pit without doing too much damage to the rifling. Any takers? :lol:

Coming next week: Darwin Awards.
please friends kindly avoid sharp remarks.if in anyway i am wrong you can correct me.''laping a rifle bore''by Reid coffield.will definetly ,prove what i have written is correct.no hard feelings.happy shooting friends.

gajamacho
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gajamacho » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:19 pm

Dr.Jayakumar,

BTW ,What guns do you own? some pictures will help satiate our (my) curiousity. :cheers:

regards.

Gaja

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:23 am

Richard:The steel lapping rod has to be jagged or threaded at the end, reduced in diameter, for the lead lap to adhere, and become part of it. And the barrel should be securely clamped and the lapping rod guided.
If you lap the bore to get rid of a pit, you are likely to have enlarged it to the point were you have ruined it.
As to an award, not a chance. The line 's so long you are not even in sight. :lol:

-- Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:20 --

dr.jayakumar: Lapping a rifle bore, unfortunately, is not the same as "filling the pit with lead, and filing it down" (to paraphrase your suggestion). Lapping a barrel is not about filling and smoothing out pits with lead. It's about smoothing out rough spots and reducing high spots. It is polishing. And again, you'd have to get the barrel as hot as the molten lead to have the lead adhere to the barrel steel and fill the pit.
What you suggested, if it could be done, would not cure the problem, but would surely do damage to the rifling.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:31 am

hi TwoRivers
i agree with you on the lapping. i was not referring to use lapping to fill the pitting but trying to show the difference between the two. guess i did not explain it pukka.

As for the award? there is always next year to look forward to :lol:

having read the http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithin ... el_200805/
by Lapping A Rifle Barrel By Reid Coffield

and i quote
"The problems with a rough bore are that it hurts accuracy and leads to excessive fouling. The pits actually rip metal from the bullet as it passes down the bore. If nothing else, this roughness makes cleaning a real chore.

One way to deal with a bad barrel is to smooth the bore and remove, or at least lessen, the effects of the pitting. That's were the sand comes in"

has noting to do with filling in or taking out pitting and its talking about barrel lapping not filling or removing pitting.

Although lapping may reduce or smooth the roughness of the pitting but it does not remove or fill the pitting area.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.