Air gun blueing.... half done, tips needed

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
ajayplahane
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Air gun blueing.... half done, tips needed

Post by ajayplahane » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Dear friends,
I had an air gun given to my farm labour. See pictures. Hanged it on the chulha.... corroded for 3 years in rainy season, cought carbon as well.
Tried to attach pics... couldn't do. But an sure, you will be amused to see them.
Cleaned with 250, then 400, 600, 1000 and ultimately 1500 grit sand paper.
Took some 9-10 hours for cleaning.
Now I want to re-blue it. As long as I got it from various topics and threads,
about three parts sodium hydroxide, one part potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate, and two or three parts water; about to boil situation, then immerse parts in solution till dark blue or black colour appears, then immerse in boiling water, and then dry and clean. Is that all ?

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Air gun blueing.... half done, tips needed

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:14 pm

yes.but you have to plug the ends.this method is called hot caustic bluing.if you can try rust bluing that would be the best.good luck.

GreenBeret
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by GreenBeret » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:56 pm

Better if you buy a bluing agent and coat the gun in my view. They are available in the sales section.

Regards,
GB
The right of self-defense is the first law of nature..

MDHASAN
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by MDHASAN » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:23 pm

ajayplahane wrote:Dear friends,
I had an air gun given to my farm labour. See pictures. Hanged it on the chulha.... corroded for 3 years in rainy season, cought carbon as well.
Tried to attach pics... couldn't do. But an sure, you will be amused to see them.
Cleaned with 250, then 400, 600, 1000 and ultimately 1500 grit sand paper.
Took some 9-10 hours for cleaning.
Now I want to re-blue it. As long as I got it from various topics and threads,
about three parts sodium hydroxide, one part potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate, and two or three parts water; about to boil situation, then immerse parts in solution till dark blue or black colour appears, then immerse in boiling water, and then dry and clean. Is that all ?
AJAY BRO wants some help or tips on bluing pls cantact :D

ajayplahane
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ajayplahane » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Friends,
Its a to be or not to be situation. I am ready for both hot caustic bluing as well as rust blueing. The little problem I am facing is, for hot blueing, preparing a mug-like utensil , of the lenght that can accomodate a 18 inch barrel, and that too, three pieces is a problem. Being director of a big Leprosy rehabilitation institution, that has a big iron smithy section, dedicated to preparing iron furniture, I am in a position to construct them. But then how to put them on a circular gas burner, is another challenge...!! The requirement of multifold quantity of chemicals is another constraint. Sodium nitrate is cheapest, 160 Rs per 500 gms. But total requirement including caustic soda goes in thousands..! That way, Rust blueing requires only one jar for boiling. The chemicals are too much within the reach. But I must keep two clear days for the process.... clearing red rust and boiling every three hours....Quite time consuming...
But then Hasanbhai, thats the beauty of all the DIY Things. We call it ' Keeda ' inside yourself.
Will somebody tell me in simple words, how to upload the pictures from my pc ? Give a link...
Thanks,
Ajay

MDHASAN
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by MDHASAN » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:15 pm

cold rust bluing are of two types 1 u have to do 1 coat once a day and boil it after 24 hours this all repeats 8 to 10 days , bluing chemical is made according the climate and seasons if u not take care of this things ur guns get pitted and have holes . :D and thanks for that KEEDA :deadhorse:

ajayplahane
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ajayplahane » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Hasanbhai,
I think, I can go ahead with the 2nd method, you have not mentioned....!!
My air gun is at stake. Will do it many times. Doesnt matter. The real work is ahead.... I have an ashani- .32 pistol. If I succeed in air gun, will try some day on ashani too. Then comes some .22 rifle I am looking for on my license as second weapon.

Ajay