GOOD GUN CLEANING OIL

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
ASIF007
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

GOOD GUN CLEANING OIL

Post by ASIF007 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:48 pm

Now that I possess a 12 bore and 3006, I want to buy a good imported Gun Oil and Bore Cleaning Oil. Based on some reviews online I have come done to 3 Brands.
1.) Ballistol - Easily available online in India, many
2.) Hoppes - Reviews are good but expensive
3.) Bisley - a reputed English oil & bore cleaner.

Request members to share their experience as I feel the gun oil available in Gun Shops in Kolkata are cheap and unreliable.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: GOOD GUN CLEANING OIL

Post by mundaire » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 am

I have used 1 & 2, both are good oils but Ballistol has the added advantage of not harming wood (it will still stain it), unlike most other gun oils.

For cleaning the rifle bore, you will additionally need a bore solvent to clean out copper deposits (from use of copper jacketed bullets).

For most Indian users, a good gun oil is all that is needed for cleaning & lubing a shotgun. Only those who shoot very high volumes (several thousand rounds) would additionally require a plastic wad solvent (for removing deposits left behind by shotshell plastic wads in/ around the chokes).

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

ASIF007
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ASIF007 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:08 pm

mundaire wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 am
I have used 1 & 2, both are good oils but Ballistol has the added advantage of not harming wood (it will still stain it), unlike most other gun oils.

For cleaning the rifle bore, you will additionally need a bore solvent to clean out copper deposits (from use of copper jacketed bullets).

For most Indian users, a good gun oil is all that is needed for cleaning & lubing a shotgun. Only those who shoot very high volumes (several thousand rounds) would additionally require a plastic wad solvent (for removing deposits left behind by shotshell plastic wads in/ around the chokes).

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Thank You Abhijeet Sir. This was very helpful. My shooting will not be over 50-100 rounds a year . I have ordered both Ballistol & Hoppes online. Will tell a relative to get a Bisley 12 bore Cleaning Set from England. Is there any specific rods, brushes, swaps & patches to clean both the Shotgun & Rifle?

Regards
Asif

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm

One of the best shotgun cleaning rod set I have come across is the Klin Kit by G Smith, Pune http://www.gsmithco.com/Accessories/projects.php it's quality is much better than most of the cheaper imported cleaning kits. Many gun shops have it in stock, I got mine from Garg Armoury, Kashmere Gate, Delhi.

For the rifle, probably one of the best cleaning rods out there is by J Dewey USA, but they are expensive.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

ASIF007
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ASIF007 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:32 pm

mundaire wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm
One of the best shotgun cleaning rod set I have come across is the Klin Kit by G Smith, Pune http://www.gsmithco.com/Accessories/projects.php it's quality is much better than most of the cheaper imported cleaning kits. Many gun shops have it in stock, I got mine from Garg Armoury, Kashmere Gate, Delhi.

For the rifle, probably one of the best cleaning rods out there is by J Dewey USA, but they are expensive.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Thanks again Abhijeet Sir. I have contacted G Smith for the 12 bore kit.

Regards
Asif