Dent in the barrel

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Dent in the barrel

Post by art_collector » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:29 pm

...........well in Delhi we use a iron rod which is pushed in the barrel and that removs the dent. None of the gun smiths would be having any machinery to take the dents out...and every where else the same procedure must be in use.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:28 am

Dear AC ,
This is supposed to be a precission job. Are the gunsmiths capable of doing so without damaging the barrel externally and internally ?
The reason i say so is the dia of the barrel at both the ends are different. there is a slight taper (correct me if i am wrong) hence pushing a rod just does not sound right.
Happy

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:39 pm

hI Happy,

I am not a gun smith ...I just explained the procedure what most reapir shops use in Delhi...ofcourse the rod used is specially made according to the size for 12 bore barrel. None of the shops I know of in Delhi use any kind of machines to remove the dents.

AC

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:46 pm

I have had the dents in the barrels of one of my shotguns removed with a hydraulic dent raiser.I don't think that the result that you can get with it,can be achieved with a rod being pushed through the barrel.

Getting a hydraulic dent raiser should be fairly simple and I hope that more gunsmiths get these.It is the ONLY proper way to do this.