Springer Disassembly

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
tarat
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Springer Disassembly

Post by tarat » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:23 pm

Hiya !

Am gonna take apart my old springer. Am a little apprehensive about the trigger part. I dont want little pieces of levers and springs to go flying all over the room. Also it looks like the spring is held back by some strange sort of "flat top" screws. I dont know how to unscrew these.

Please check out the album below. There are seven pics which give you an idea how it looks like.

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll10 ... C01470.jpg

Anyone know how to unscrew this thing ? I can give it to a gunsmith but is no fun then.

PS : The rifle is, ummm .... sparkling clean. The camera creates the illusion that its dirty ...... hehe

Regards
RT

For Advertising mail webmaster
Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Springer Disassembly

Post by Risala » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:59 pm

If this is clean I wanna see one that isnt :shock: .A very poorly maintaned AR dont open it it will only fall apart and cause more grief.

tarat
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarat » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:29 am

Hahaha .... this is the first time I am tryin this and even I was shocked with the pics .... doesnt look even a fraction as dirty with the naked eye .... The camera lens on a macro mode brings out some embarassing detail, lol !

But I still wanna take it apart .... I dont stand to lose anything even if it falls apart. Any idea how to proceed with the screws ?

Regards
RT
--------------
Regards
RT

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:41 am

Those are NOT screws! They are pins, and you would need to "drift" them out.

First drift out the forward one, it holds the trigger in place. On removing it the trigger and trigger spring will come free. Remove them and store in a box or some other place where you will not loose them.

Second, drift out the rear pin, this one holds the trigger housing in place. The trigger housing also keeps the mainspring in place and will therefore be under tension (from the mainspring). So be careful as it may "jump" out.

Now you can remove the mainspring and piston.

To reassemble, reverse the process.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

tarat
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarat » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:28 pm

Ok. I'm gonna try that out. Thanks for your responses.
--------------
Regards
RT

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Please rig uo some sort of spring compressor or you may end up with a nickname like lefty, patch or hook! ;-)

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

tarat
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarat » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:16 pm

The rear guide, trigger and mainspring is out.
Getting late for office. Will look the piston tomorrow. Its not coming out. Think I have to unscrew the cocking lever.

And gotta buy some tools as well. A car jack to make a compressor. Its DEFINITELY REQUIRED, yes !!!

Another Q. If I get DOT5 brake oil, it should suffice to lube the internals, right ? Other than the spring, that is (assembly grease for that) DOT5 brake fluid is silicone fluid based and has high temperature resistance, so should not detonate.

I'll post more pics with all the details.

Regards
RT
--------------
Regards
RT

tarat
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarat » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Oops, another Q. How does one "wash" the parts ? Before lubing them. Not soap and water definitely, then what ?
--------------
Regards
RT

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:29 pm

tarat";p="40754 wrote:The rear guide, trigger and mainspring is out.
Getting late for office. Will look the piston tomorrow. Its not coming out. Think I have to unscrew the cocking lever.
And gotta buy some tools as well. A car jack to make a compressor. Its DEFINITELY REQUIRED, yes !!!
I'll post more pics with all the details.RT
HI! Tarat you remind me of my school days summer holidays at my farm in UP mate. Used to do the Injun spring drill including changing pistons, replacing barrel locking lugs , barrel seals besides brazing and refiling and settin the piston trigger sear engagement. Well since you have started here is what I used to do - it may or may not work for you ;)
1. You should remove the barrel if not already removed.
2. The cocking lever has to be rotated after aligning properly with the opening in the body and removed - this will free the piston assy. and it can be pulled out.
3. Reassembly : Dont need any tools eg. like car jack , spring compressor etc for any injun made AG. You should have one spike point screwdriver - it comes with most screwdriver handle kits with interchangable blades. Now take the AG body and shove the spring and piston assembly in - push the retainer ring and taking a stiff book which you rest on your stomach place the airgun body against it and press it against a wall and force /guide the retainer into the airgun body. As soon as the trigger pin hole aligns jam the spike into the hole. Work the spike to exactly center the rear retainer hole and when aligned push the retaining pin through. JOB almost done :)
4. fix the trigger - push its pin - attach cocking lever and barrel and you are good to go . - No special or especial tools reqd.
hope it helps and play it safe.
5. Standard disclaimer applies ;) .......
Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

tarat
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarat » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks Stutzen ! Will see if it works.

BTW, anyone based in B'lore know where to procure silicone oil ? The DOT5 brake oil that I was referring to comes in several grades. Only the grade that is composed of 100 % silicone oil will work for this purpose.

Regards
RT
--------------
Regards
RT

tarat
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarat » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:42 pm

Hello !

Disassembly is complete. The piston was so tight, I almost ending up getting a cramp in my chest muscle as I was pulling it out ! Is this normal ? I mean this extreme tightness of the piston, not the cramp part : ) I had to bang the washer/seal with a hammer and screwdriver to take it out, could'nt pull it out no matter how hard I pulled. There is a screw in the center of the seal so I banged it there.

Anyway, here are pics of the parts. So pics of the stock. Now gotta clean it.

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll10 ... 20MODEL65/

PS : I have removed the prev. pics. I have collated those into one pic.

Regards
RT
--------------
Regards
RT