Nationa .22 Air pistol | Trigger too hard

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
gverma
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Nationa .22 Air pistol | Trigger too hard

Post by gverma » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi
I am not sure if this was a topic for air guns or gunsmithing, but here I am.

I have a National spring action air rifle and an air pistol.

Now one of the tips give to me elsewhere in this forum was that before on shoots bring the trigger to a point that just squeezing it would fire the pellet. This worked great for me with my rifle because the trigger was soft. The trigger in my pistol however is very hard.

What should I do to make it softer?

Thanks
Regards
Gaurav

For Advertising mail webmaster
DAN
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Nationa .22 Air pistol | Trigger too hard

Post by DAN » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Common problem with Indian airguns....Some time back remember shooting someone's air-rifle, Its trigger was so hard, had to use three fingers to shoot!! :shock:

gverma
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by gverma » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 pm

So whats the resolution.
On the same note I have been informed that I cant use petrolium oil on a PCP pistol as it might ignite.
However on an air rife can I use the regular lubricating oil the kind used for sewing machines ?

DAN
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by DAN » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:56 pm

gverma wrote:So whats the resolution.
On the same note I have been informed that I cant use petrolium oil on a PCP pistol as it might ignite.
However on an air rife can I use the regular lubricating oil the kind used for sewing machines ?
Dont worry, u can use oil, it will not ignite if u put it on the spring of the trigger...
Once i conducted a experiment by putting different oils in the hollow of the pellet and firing...many oils didn't work but the sewing machine oil did work...the pellet went a little faster and sometimes produced a whistling sound like a cci stinger :shock: ...You can see if the oil burns by dry firing a airgun and putting some oil in the hole where the air leaves the chamber...The barrel of the airgun will be bright red, probably because of the burnt oil. :mrgreen:

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:34 pm

DAN wrote:
gverma wrote:So whats the resolution.
Dont worry, u can use oil, it will not ignite if u put it on the spring of the trigger...
Once i conducted a experiment by putting different oils in the hollow of the pellet and firing...many oils didn't work but the sewing machine oil did work...the pellet went a little faster and sometimes produced a whistling sound like a cci stinger :shock: ...You can see if the oil burns by dry firing a airgun and putting some oil in the hole where the air leaves the chamber...The barrel of the airgun will be bright red, probably because of the burnt oil. :mrgreen:
And you will have messed up seals and may be a broken spring also
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

gverma
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by gverma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:16 pm

So the question still remains can i make my trigger a little softer ?

-- Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:16 pm --

-- Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:16 pm --

So asking the question three times will make it lighter eh? Mod.

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:26 pm

Gverma,

I too have a IHP National air pistol in .22. But there will be a screw close to the trigger which is adjustable. This will increase or decrease the trigger pull depending on the adjustment you make. Did you try that?

Regards,
Ebenezer

gverma
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by gverma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:38 pm

yup been there done that :-(

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:09 pm

gverma wrote:yup been there done that :-(
Try fixing it by a gunsmith. That should solve your problem.

Ebenezer

gverma
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by gverma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:11 pm

Any good gun smith you can suggest in Delhi Area. I need one in any case to get my guns serviced

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:16 pm

gverma wrote:Any good gun smith you can suggest in Delhi Area. I need one in any case to get my guns serviced
Contact Abhijeet, Dev or any other Delhi-based member. They should be able to help you. I am from Chennai and have no idea about Delhi gunsmiths.

Regards,
Ebenezer

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 pm

If gv had done some searching he would have come across a site run by tirtha This thread has been edited to conform with Indian For Guns policy as stated in the Announcements forum. You can buy an improved trigger and have it fitted to your air rifle. Read about having a spring compressor and make one. Take your rifle apart and use Moly grease again available at the same site and apply where ever there is metal on metal contact.

Don't be scared of taking the air rifle apart, that is how most of learned. You will gain a lot by learning to tune your air rifle yourself. Be safe and you have nothing to worry about. If all else fails catch hold of messrs. shamshuddin gun house. If you go to siri fort tomorrow and day after (27th-28th march he will be there). Or else grab onto Mr. Rajeev Sharma who will be there but will be awfully busy conducting the Delhi State Competition. He is the greatest airgunsmith there is over here (besides being a lawyer and the head of the Delhi State shooting Association).
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

gverma
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by gverma » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:42 pm

Hay thanks for inputs

I have actually gone through the link This thread has been edited to conform with Indian For Guns policy as stated in the Announcements forum on the site you have suggested and I am scared to death on opening up my guns... as I have never done that....

I will do the suggested...