Changing to OX Main Spring in Air Rifles

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Changing to OX Main Spring in Air Rifles

Post by brihacharan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi Tirths,
> While browsing the net I came across the following information on springs. I believe that OX springs are favoured by many as a replacement in their air rifles.

OX Mainsprings
• Ox main springs are designed to replace standard springs in most air rifles.
• Ox accelerators and mainsprings could result in your air rifle exceeding the 12lbs UK legal limit so should be used with caution.

• Diana Original 35, the SPRING MEASURES 21mm x 270mm, internal diameter is 15 mm.
OX Accelerators
These springs are furnace coated with Molybdenum and PTFE for rapid acceleration, up to 40% more compressed poundage than conventional main springs.
> Sounds great I mean OX Accelerators - are you aware of this treatment to springs?
> Imagine after tuning + installing an OX Accelerator the weapon will turn out to be a real "WHACKO"!!! The FPS could reach anything between 900 to 1100 and delivering an awesome 20 to 25 ft.lbs energy!!!
> Could be worth importing and trying it on - what say U?
Cheers
Brihacharan

For Advertising mail webmaster
tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Changing to OX Main Spring in Air Rifles

Post by tirths » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:14 pm

brihacharan wrote:Hi Tirths,

OX Mainsprings
• Ox main springs are designed to replace standard springs in most air rifles.
• Ox accelerators and mainsprings could result in your air rifle exceeding the 12lbs UK legal limit so should be used with caution.
They are very generic, not custom fit for airgun. Any you may aware, it is very important that the spring should fit the internals with a great degree to get a smooth action.
brihacharan wrote: • Diana Original 35, the SPRING MEASURES 21mm x 270mm, internal diameter is 15 mm.
OX Accelerators
These springs are furnace coated with Molybdenum and PTFE for rapid acceleration, up to 40% more compressed poundage than conventional main springs.
- You see it very clearly here. The ID they are saying 15mm whereas the D35 spring guide is 14mm. 1mm diff will give your toy a good jerk :)
- furnace coated moly will not increase but decrease the poundage as this will decrease the tensile strength therefore how they are calculating 40% is a question.

-OX usually use Chrome vanadium wire which is actually not a much reflex as conventional wire.

Technically, the specs you have given, for OX you will get 242366 PSI tensile strength whereas conventional will get a little more that is 263119 PSI

-Tirtha

R-Dhillon
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by R-Dhillon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:48 pm

I bought an OX accelerator sumtime back. I fit it in my IHP-35 .22. It gives a loud bang n a tiny recoil. But I'm really pissed with the accuracy. I put a Daisy 20mm 3-7x scope on it. It just wouldn't zero. Finally zeroed it in with the iron sights and RWS round head pellets. I have a John Knibbs spring in my IHP 25 .177. It is sweet, smooth and sure. I would prefer a John Knibbs mainspring any day over the OX.
Regards,
R.Dhillon.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Dhillion,
what kind of FPS are you getting with those.
Thanks
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:23 am

Hi Tirths,

> Thanks for the info on OX springs. I stand educated.
> I came across the name TW Chambers & Co - UK who make and supply Diana35 springs. I believe they are a 100 year old company and still in business. Have you heard of them?
> U cld visit them on http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/diana.
> Incidentally I spoke to Kulkarni of GSmith an old friend - they make Diana35 springs out of imported wires from Germany & German technology and swears that his product is as good as the German Diana springs!
> I have ordered one for my IHP35 22 cal & will be fitting it along with the Apex Seal & Adaptor recd. from you.
> Will post the results asap.
Cheers
Brihacharan

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:40 pm

> I came across the name TW Chambers & Co - UK who make and supply Diana35 springs. I believe they are a 100 year old company and still in business. Have you heard of them?
> Incidentally I spoke to Kulkarni of GSmith an old friend - they make Diana35 springs out of imported wires from Germany & German technology and swears that his product is as good as the German Diana springs!
> I have ordered one for my IHP35 22 cal & will be fitting it along with the Apex Seal & Adaptor recd. from you.
Cheers
Brihacharan
You can import almost all parts from them. People have good experience with them.
I know that gsmith talks about German spring wire which is, to me, not meaningful enough. To make springs, the most important element is not the quality of wire only but the process and the design. Steel that has only 0.45% carbon can do wonders if the process and design is correct. At the same time one can have steel with 0.7% carbon + other hardening compound but if the process and design is not right might yield spring of not so great quality.

-Tirtha

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:44 pm

tirths wrote:

Cheers
Brihacharan
You can import almost all parts from them. People have good experience with them.
I know that gsmith talks about German spring wire which is, to me, not meaningful enough. To make springs, the most important element is not the quality of wire only but the process and the design. Steel that has only 0.45% carbon can do wonders if the process and design is correct. At the same time one can have steel with 0.7% carbon + other hardening compound but if the process and design is not right might yield spring of not so great quality.

-Tirtha
> Want to know if the GSmith Spring is better than the IHP35 Spring, since I've already ordered the GSmith Spring.
> Can get one from TW Chambers, but it'll take sometime, till then is it OK to go ahead with GSmith?
Brihacharan

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi Brihacharan,
Please go ahead with gsmit. I still feel IHP spring is decent due to it has closer match with spring guide id. It will help to reduce the buckling defection. Gmith will hold good those whose spring guide id is at least 14mm. will talk abt it offline on which would better.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Cherokee might be a better option for the IHP.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.