when to clean a new rifle

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:40 am

eljefe";p="35146 wrote:forhans used to be the winer in the old days CC :)
:mrgreen:

For Advertising mail webmaster
doctor
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: when to clean a new rifle

Post by doctor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:00 pm

thanks for the great reply guys,
the use of fishing line is a great idea and going to try it .

one more thing that struck me is while using the copper cleaning rods use regular good quality (cold drink) straws to cover up the rod to prevent any rubbing of the cleaning rod with the barrel.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:06 pm

I have always wondered as to what sort of cord was/is sued in traditional pull through's.Is it available in India?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:10 pm

penpusher";p="35227 wrote:I have always wondered as to what sort of cord was/is sued in traditional pull through's.Is it available in India?
I have two that came with the .30 carbine, one is made out of nylon cord and the other is made from jute... never use them though...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:12 pm

penpusher,
I have a old .303 pull through.The rope was made out of cotton strands with a brass piece in the front.
-Vinayaka
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:30 pm

penpusher, as I see most fauji pull-through's nowadays are braided nylon with a jute core. While most come with a brass ends some still have the old phosphated and sharpened steel tube.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:39 pm

Thanks Abhijeet,Helllfire.

Grumpy,

What do the English use?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:57 pm

penpusher,

Following are pictures of some of the pull throughs I have:

1) This one is in Delhi, so I cannot take a closer pic but the material is similar to paracord and it has been with the Auto-5 for a very long time.

2) G. Smith pull through. This chord is also akin to paracord but the diameter is smaller.

3) Anschutz pull through. This seems to have an inner core that is flexible but resists memory and stiffens the cord. The outer layer looks like paracord material again.

Note the cotton wicks alongside. I use these instead of a patch.

4) Otis pull through. This has a steel cable core and clear plastic outer covering.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:04 pm

I picked up an Otis cleaning kit as well, with those pull throughs/ flexible cleaning rods - but the branding is different in UK. IIRC it's sold as Logun over there, probably a marketing arrangement...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:24 pm

Otis have a dealer for India.

Mr. B.C. Jain,
PMB Impex & Consultants Pvt. Ltd.,
5 Fancy Lane,
Calcutta - 700 001.

Tel.: 033- 2488257

The above are old contact details but hopefully still valid. They sent me my pull through via post. They also sell their products at most national level competitions.

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:21 pm

Mack The Knife,
Are the wicks made specially or for guns or the normal types?and can u please also tell me what advantage they have over the patch cas i have never used a wick.
-vinayaka
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

doctor
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by doctor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:13 pm

penpusher";p="35089 wrote: Don't store the rifle wrapped up in cloth or in a gunslip/bag/case.Don't stuff the muzzle with a cotton/cloth wad
sir, i reside in mumbai which has high humidity ,the rifle was received in a good quality leather carrying case .
i would be using this rifle very sparingly and it would be for most of the time resting in its case.
do you think i should oil the gun put it in a big air tight plastic bag with some desiccants like silica gel to absorb moisture.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:24 pm

Vinayaka,

The wicks were bought from Anschutz along with the pull through but there really is nothing special about them and neither do they have any advantage over a patch.

For all you know, they were probably made in India.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:08 am

hey Doc,
remove grease, oil all metal with a decent oil.Keeping gun in a plastic bag with silica gel is a good idea, keep a bunch of silica gel in another small polythene and put it in the gun polythene.just make a few holes in the poly bag containing the silica gel dessicant-that stuff can be corrosive when in contact with metal.
Vinayak- that brass/metal tube part of the pull through? its called 'weight'
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:11 am

Doc, storing a gun with a bunch of silica gel sacks inside the case/bag is a very good idea.......but just remember that they only absorb moisture until they are saturated. You need to dry them out every few months - 6 months max.
Just put them outside for a day in sunny, non-humid conditions or put them in an oven set to the lowest temperature for an hour or so to dry them out.