KLIN SHOOT for cleaning Air rifle barrel

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: KLIN SHOOT for cleaning Air rifle barrel

Post by lazybones » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:44 pm

My IHP 35 started honking after about 250 shots (like a goose, I kid you not) so I had to lube the chamber. This resulted in brownish gunk in the barrel. After pulling a patch through after each shot I got fed up and used the klin lub wads ( with a tight fitting pellet behind every wad My Lud :) ). Haven't used it since and haven't needed to after over a 1000 shots. No harm in keeping a tin handy.
I'm planning on making a couple of pull throughs from tennis raquet gut. Would really appreciate your suggestions Mack The Knife.

Ashok

For Advertising mail webmaster
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:08 pm

The best thing for cleaning a barrel is to use a guitar string or a string like raquet gut. wrap some cotton around the metal ball (guitar string) OR tie a knot on one end of the raquet gut and use that. Make sure that the metal part is completely covered and pull the string in a straight line or else you will end up damaging the barrel.
pull it thru the barrel a couple of times.
After that use some cotton that is a little moist with oil. repeat this a few times and it is good to go.
For barrels that are very dirty i usually do the first round of cleaning with scrotch brite.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:57 pm

Careful which oil you use. It is mostly not required for most air rifles....
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:58 pm

Singer machine oil in modest quantities will be good to prevent internal rusting of the barrel

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:28 pm

snIPer";p="56396 wrote: Singer machine oil in modest quantities will be good to prevent internal rusting of the barrel
Some gurus advise against the 3-in-1 oil, as the residue from mixing lead dust will probably mar your barrel even more... Its not advised for such friction that happens in the barrel, but is more useful for moving parts and rust-prevention...
:)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:28 pm

havent had any problem with it so far :-)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Sniper,

There is nothing wrong with a very light coat of oil or grease/petroleum jelly if you were going to store the rifle for a short or long period, respectively. However, make sure the oil or grease is removed from the bore before shooting.

lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: KLIN SHOOT for cleaning Air rifle barrel

Post by lazybones » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:12 am

I have often wondered about the best way of applying a patch to a loop. Over the years I have seen people doing it in one of three ways:
1) The clothesline: the patch is draped evenly over the loop, like a handkerchief on a clothes line, and drawn together and pulled through with force.
2) The jam roll: the patch is rolled into a tube, like a jam roll, and then draped evenly over the loop and pulled through.
3) The S curve: Enfields issued during the Great war came with a a square of wire mesh and a pull-through with a double loop. The lower loop was for a flannel patch and the upper was for the wire mesh. The mesh was rolled into two tubes (in an S curve) around each of the strands of the loop and this was pulled through.
Is there a "best" way ?

Ashok