Making a slip-on type front sight.

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Making a slip-on type front sight.

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:55 am

Mark,

Brilliant suggestion about using lead shot. I used a bit of plastic cut to shape but I can see lead being a better alternative.

Coming to your newer drawings....

I like them. However, I need a tube-stop to prevent the tube creeping back, which means the front arc has to go. The rear arc could remain but it would mean a little more machining. Is there any particular reason for the shape you have given the front sight post?

The next drawing of a barrel band with the post block screwed in is brilliant in it's simplicity and considering that far higher torque could be applied to the fastening screws I don't think it would move back under recoil. Not the most elegant of solutions but probably the easiest to make. Infact, if you think about it, one does not even need the block. Won't look nice though.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:36 am

I like blades that slope from front to back somewhat as if the top of the blade is parallel with the base you often can`t see if you have the gun mounted incorrectly so that you are looking along the top surface somewhat which would mean that you shoot high.
An excellent and very important point and one that hadn't occured to me. Thanks, Grumpy, that will definitely get changed.

I have a screw-in front post with a stop nut on my IOF .22lr and as you rightly said it's very practical but not very pretty.

To start with, I think I will stay with a black coloured post but it's good to know that cheap colour alternatives are available.

I did think of a system wherein the post having a small base is screwed onto the main base but I don't think I will be using the rifle with open sights that much. Like I said, the moment I get a new scope, the irons will come off and not go back until a state level shooting comp which is held once or twice a year.

Just out of interest, what air-rifles do you have?

Incidentally, in case anyone was wondering why I had left 15mm of base in front of the post, it is for me to put my spirit level whilst leveling the front sight. The 3mm thick post is purely a concession to my bad eyesight.

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:32 am

Tube stops? You don't need no stinking tube stops! Just use a dab of epoxy. When you want to remove it just heat it up with a torch to where it is a bit warm, loosen the set screws and it will slide right off of there.

Much prettier that a stop somewhere breaking up the lines.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:37 pm

Hmmm... you have a point but this air-rifle recoil is a peculiar thing.

Will epoxy remove or mar bluing? If not, I will go with your suggestion - makes machining far simpler.

Mack The Knife

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:28 pm

I did not quite follow the exact design but my New Lite .22 air gun is missing a foresight.

So i took the measurements and went to a vehicle spare parts shop and found (after many shops) a "BUSH" that was almost the same size. I took it to a nearby welder and had a metal piece put on it. Total cost so far 28/-, 20 for welding and 8 for the bush.

The bush seems to be a bit loose around the barrel.
I have tried to put a rubber belt around it and push it in - that holds but it can be removed easily too so not happy with that, there isnt too much gap there (say enough gap for a business card to be folded and rolled over the barrel once)

Any suggestions on what can be done to fill in the gap. I was thinking of a think metal sleeve and then to seal it in with super glue.

any other?????

p.s. shall try to post pictures later today
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

foresight

Post by dev » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:46 pm

If you pardon my blasphemy Mack The Knife, I could mail you my QB 78 SIGHT and spoil all your fun. Let me know if you want it.

Dev :lol:
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 pm

You are pardoned. Send it over.

Thanks. ;)

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:02 am

snIPer";p="30663 wrote:I did not quite follow the exact design but my New Lite .22 air gun is missing a foresight.

So i took the measurements and went to a vehicle spare parts shop and found (after many shops) a "BUSH" that was almost the same size. I took it to a nearby welder and had a metal piece put on it. Total cost so far 28/-, 20 for welding and 8 for the bush.

The bush seems to be a bit loose around the barrel.
I have tried to put a rubber belt around it and push it in - that holds but it can be removed easily too so not happy with that, there isnt too much gap there (say enough gap for a business card to be folded and rolled over the barrel once)

Any suggestions on what can be done to fill in the gap. I was thinking of a think metal sleeve and then to seal it in with super glue.

any other?????

p.s. shall try to post pictures later today
I would use a fine hack saw balde and slit the bottom of the band, then use a thin file on it until you had all of the extra play out of it. Solder or have welded close, then mount on your gun with epoxy. Soldering is cheaper and you can do it yourself, but you can't blue the thin line. If you had it welded and ground down you can blue it and it will not be noticeable.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:11 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="30694 wrote: You are pardoned. Send it over.

Thanks. ;)
Apologies but please to send thy address again. Will send it across in ticky tocky.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:44 pm

Buckingham Palace,
London, U.K.

Are you still slumming it at the same joint? Got a tackle box that is surplus to my needs.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:10 pm

Thanks Mark - what i did is used a thin brass plate like a filler and then banged the foresight in - its fine now - but once i get bored of the clumsy work i will try what you said.

S.S.Kumar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by S.S.Kumar » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:36 am

Dear Sirs, I had a similar problem with my Webley.
The front sight blade broke off! I Just took a Barrel clamp used for a sling Prepared a steel blade with a hole drilled in the middle and inserted it between the clamp arms where the screw comes. Once tightened sufficiently it serveved the temporary purpose well for about 3 weeks till I got the new aluminum slipon sight made. Maybe it was just crude but it did serve the purpose and I was able to continue shooting. incidentally I dont use a Scope!

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:50 pm