Refurbishing an IHP air-rifle

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
full_circle
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Refurbishing an IHP air-rifle

Post by full_circle » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:08 am

There is an IHP air-rifle at my home in Pune, bought in 1992 or earlier. I don't know the model number or the calibre. As far as I know, it hasn't been used at all for the past 9 years. Not even oiled. Knowing the owner (a deceased family member), he probably oiled it, put it in it's canvass bag and stored it in a trunk and forgot about it. I do know the barrel has a few rough spots (which appear rusty instead of blue) and the stock is cracked (big crack, almost cleaves the stock where the trigger mechanism is). The piece wasn't used frequently, I shouldn't be surprised if less than 500 pellets have been though the barrel. It was once "fired" with the barrel broken over. The barrel must be bent.

I will be returning to Pune, and I would like to refurbish the air-rifle and start using it. I know the stock should be replaced. What else should I look for? Is it best to take it to a gunsmith? A google search came up with Aimpoint, Safari Arms, Gunmark / Gsmith, Patankar, Naraindas Deepchand, H B Jatap and Badruddin Abdultayeb. Any references / reviews about them? And finally, is this refurbishing exercise worth the money? If the piece has to be taken apart, can it be made "better"? At the begining of the IHP National thread there is talk of some experimenting, what came of it?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by full_circle on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mohali & Pune | NRAI Life Member | IOF .32 Mark 2 | Beretta DT11 | .22 coming soon

For Advertising mail webmaster
kb100
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Refurbishing an IHP air-rifle

Post by kb100 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:02 am

It can be refurbished if the barrel is intact/not bent. If you have to replace the barrel then it may make more sense for you to buy a new gun. Please bear in mind that the refurbishing (with better parts) will cost you as much or more than a new gun will!
A Closed Mouth Gathers No Feet!

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:32 am

The Barrel can be straightened and the stock can be fixed too.
If you are doing the refurbishing yourself then it will cost you more in terms of time than money.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi,

You can get a replacement stock from GSMITH in Pune or from Mumbai. Bent barrel, if gun was fired with the barrel not locked up can also be fixed easily. Here is how. After the gun is fixed in its new stock, cock the gun as usual. Make sure your finger is not on the trigger and apply pressure on the barrel FURTHER in cocked position. This will straighten the barrel to its original state.

You can open it up and clean individual parts or spots of rust by rubbing them with fine steel wool, dipped liberally in thich oil. If you want, you can even get it reblued.

M.
full_circle wrote:There is an IHP air-rifle at my home in Pune, bought in 1992 or earlier. I don't know the model number or the calibre. As far as I know, it hasn't been used at all for the past 9 years. Not even oiled. Knowing the owner (a deceased family member), he probably oiled it, put it in it's canvass bag and stored it in a trunk and forgot about it. I do know the barrel has a few rough spots (which appear rusty instead of blue) and the stock is cracked (big crack, almost cleaves the stock where the trigger mechanism is). The piece wasn't used frequently, I shouldn't be surprised if less than 500 pellets have been though the barrel. It was once "fired" with the barrel broken over. The barrel must be bent.

I will be returning to Pune, and I would like to refurbish the air-rifle and start using it. I know the stock should be replaced. What else should I look for? Is it best to take it to a gunsmith? A google search came up with Aimpoint, Safari Arms, Gunmark / Gsmith, Patankar, Naraindas Deepchand, H B Jatap and Badruddin Abdultayeb. Any references / reviews about them? And finally, is this refurbishing exercise worth the money? If the piece has to be taken apart, can it be made "better"? At the begining of the IHP National thread there is talk of some experimenting, what came of it?

Thanks in advance.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

full_circle
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by full_circle » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Thank you kb100, snIPer, fantumfan2003 for your inputs, esp fantumfan2003. I am prepared to invest the time (and money) in the project. Once I reach Pune, I will post pictures of the air-rifle and the project too :)

I wanted to know if I can somehow increase or better the balance, feel, accuracy, and power of the air rifle? I know accuracy and power is a tradeoff, but I am sure the IHP construction has a lot of elbow room :D How about balance and feel?
Mohali & Pune | NRAI Life Member | IOF .32 Mark 2 | Beretta DT11 | .22 coming soon

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:39 pm

full_circle

Balance : Its always individual preference so if you like the balance, be at peace with it.

Power : Now I am worried because I see signs of magnumitis. Springers shoot sweetest at around 820fps or lower. You IHP shoots at 650 which is more than enough for target shooting.

Accuracy : Your IHP will shoot better than you for a very long time

M.
full_circle wrote:Thank you kb100, snIPer, fantumfan2003 for your inputs, esp fantumfan2003. I am prepared to invest the time (and money) in the project. Once I reach Pune, I will post pictures of the air-rifle and the project too :)

I wanted to know if I can somehow increase or better the balance, feel, accuracy, and power of the air rifle? I know accuracy and power is a tradeoff, but I am sure the IHP construction has a lot of elbow room :D How about balance and feel?
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

full_circle
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by full_circle » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:58 pm

magnumitis :) no, I don't want the most powerful airgun (fingers crossed behind my back). Tuning (either DIY or by a gunsmith) as described by mundaire and others in the IHP "National" air rifles & pistols thread should make it a more powerful rifle, if only as a side-effect. :D

You are right about the accuracy part, the rifle can only be as accurate as the shooter... hopefully one day not too far away, I will be able to shoot good enough to justify importing a PCP