gun stock checkring tools

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
THAMBI
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

gun stock checkring tools

Post by THAMBI » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi,
Where do we get GUN STOCK CHECKRING TOOLS In India?Pl.Let me know.

For Advertising mail webmaster
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: gun stock checkring tools

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:03 pm

THAMBI wrote:Hi,
Where do we get GUN STOCK CHECKRING TOOLS In India?Pl.Let me know.
You don't get them in India.... you'll have to import them.

Most old and experienced gunsmiths make their own.

After deciding on your choice of LPI (lines per inch) you'll, at the very least need a single line cutter and a spacer of the appropriate LPI size.

Else simply go for laser cutting as some one mentioned in another thread.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

THAMBI
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by THAMBI » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks CC and i want to know how to import? Can you please explain me how these old gunsmiths make these tools .What type of tools they use?

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:27 am

Thami, good to see some one interested in the old arts.
here's a link
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... 16***10516***
you will need a handle and shank
Product #: 854346
and the actual tool, which fits on the end of the shank

Product #: 743414

or, get this starter kit.Dem Bart has been around for years and make a good set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=168386
also look around on instructional videos for checkering.

Play around a bit, learn to control tool head, the vagaries of wood, how to space lines, working on parallel lines and filling up, and if you're true to your trade,I'll let you do my rifle in a couple of years. :D
Best
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:27 pm

THAMBI wrote:Thanks CC and i want to know how to import? Can you please explain me how these old gunsmiths make these tools .What type of tools they use?
There are a number of ways of achieving this...

The simplest I've seen is simply a method of scraping two lines at a time. For this, the most common type I've seen and used is simply a short length of hacksaw blade heated red-hot and folded to a narrow "U" shape lengthwise, and then slightly curved like a curved sword. The width of the "U" corresponds approximately to what LPI you are trying to achieve. If you are trying 16LPI, the width should be 1/16th of an inch, like wise for 18LPI or 20LPI and so on...The rear half is rolled up and sunk into a short wooden handle. You can heat treat before sinking into the handle. Remember your only scraping lines in this process and not 'v' grooves.

Another way is to replicate the small commercial checkering cutter designs by forging a stub from an old drill bit. While not impossible, its is difficult and fiddly and really small...several calculations of angle and depth are necessary for a successful diamond ridge/recess cut. Resharpening is a pain.

If you have a steady and precise hand you can even use a riffling file.

Quite frankly, simply get the dem-bart checkering starter kit from eljefes links. I use them. They are inexpensive and fairly simple to use.

Go for 16 and 18 LPI. Wider than 16 (i.e. 14, 12 etc) is too wide and somewhat looks cheesy. Finer than 20LPI will be pointless as most wood commonly available nowadays lack the fine and dense grain to support such fine cuts. More likely they'll tear and crumble.... of course, if you have a fine stick of Turkish walnut aged for 20 years then you could even try 30LPI checkering.

If you plan to make gunstock checkering your life, then you could go hog wild and invest in a Power checkering cutter... http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9176 ... ERING_HEAD ... ;)

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:08 pm

hi, i have tried with fine files.with practice,i think it will do.the ones used by gold smiths.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Get them from Brownells.Midwayusa does not accept foreign orders.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey CC, post a pic of your DIY checkering tool :cheers:
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:58 pm

eljefe wrote:Hey CC, post a pic of your DIY checkering tool :cheers:
Ah!, 'jefe... the DIY tool was one that I saw being commonly used by local gunsmiths....particularly the one I was 'apprenticed' at. I used them a couple of times but never actually made one from scratch. But its simple enough for anyone with a basic knowledge of metal work. As I mentioned, with this expedient, one is only scratching lines and not exactly cutting diamond relief. The old hand, however was pretty nimble with it and made short work of any chckering job that came his way.

Sorry don't have a picture... :cry: Maybe I'll ask him to email a picture.

Currently, I use Dembart in 16, 18 and 20LPI.

regards,
cc