TEFLON-coating a break barrel springer breech

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
vijaycool
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: TEFLON-coating a break barrel springer breech

Post by vijaycool » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:51 am

Brihacharan,
Your information is useful however I wont agree using GS pellets in ihp 35. The reason is the skirt is too wide compared to ihp breech dia. Second is the weight. IHP performs well in low weight pellet as the power plant is small so 18 to 20 grain pellets will break the spring. I find MS pellet is quite decent for ihp. It will give you flatter trajectory compared to GS pellet.

For Advertising mail webmaster
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi, Brihacharan,

Can you pls PM me the contact of the Mulund guy who does the teflon coating? I stay in Mulund itself, so can team up with airgun_novice and get the stuff done. Also, any good tuner you know in Mumbai? I am OK with normal tools and stuff, but don't trust myself with the fine tolerances required by airguns!

Cheers!

EssDee
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:39 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Hi, Brihacharan,

Can you pls PM me the contact of the Mulund guy who does the teflon coating? I stay in Mulund itself, so can team up with airgun_novice and get the stuff done. Also, any good tuner you know in Mumbai? I am OK with normal tools and stuff, but don't trust myself with the fine tolerances required by airguns!

Cheers!

EssDee
Dear EssDee,
For tuning of the springer ARs we could seek guidance from fantumfan2003, who lives on the other side of the forest and the mountains :) @Dahisar, if he is in station and can spare a few hours over a May weekend. Coating, yes - we can give it a shot at Mulund. I still wonder why you have the need to tune the SDB - I think it must be < 1yr old, right ? And if it' .177 would it still sing the tune ? The threads on IFG refer almost entirely to .22 cal when discussing about tuning.
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:46 am

Hi, Novice,

Yes it's still less than a year old, but like your 0.22, it's got a BAD trigger pull and a decent kick. Not a .303 kick, but a kind of up-and-down motion. Scrapes the shoulder, esp with artillery hold. And the cocking could also be smoother. Hence any thing to make it a little smooth will help! (especially anything which does not cost the earth! :wink: )

Cheers!

EssDee
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:12 pm

A talk with Brihacharan convinced me not to try it on the newer AP. Can experiment with the older Chinese springer later in May if need be. :-)
==
(Death Wish V)

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:26 pm

airgun_novice, essdee1972

You folks are welcome....
Spoke to Brihacharan yesterday too.....and discovered yet again that most of us have common interests....

M.
airgun_novice wrote:
essdee1972 wrote:Hi, Brihacharan,

Cheers!

EssDee
Dear EssDee,
For tuning of the springer ARs we could seek guidance from fantumfan2003, who lives on the other side of the forest and the mountains :) @Dahisar, if he is in station and can spare a few hours over a May weekend. Coating, yes - we can give it a shot at Mulund. I still wonder why you have the need to tune the SDB - I think it must be < 1yr old, right ? And if it' .177 would it still sing the tune ? The threads on IFG refer almost entirely to .22 cal when discussing about tuning.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:41 am

fantumfan2003 wrote:airgun_novice, essdee1972

You folks are welcome....
Spoke to Brihacharan yesterday too.....and discovered yet again that most of us have common interests....

M.
Thank you fantumfan2003. Let us springer, err, spring up, the topic on April 10th at Talegaon during a break. :-) Hope the meet's still on.
==
(Death Wish V)

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Thank you fantumfan2003. Let us springer, err, spring up, the topic on April 10th at Talegaon during a break. Hope the meet's still on.

:agree: :agree:

Cheers!

EssDee
Cheers!

EssDee

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:20 am

Last night I tried a couple of negligible actions on the IHP .22 AP - Olympus. I opened the screw (with ring) at the bottom of the butt and separated action from the stock.

1. Then turned the action upside down and that revealed an inch of window through which the main spring was visible. I lubed or pasted the Lithium based grease (Castrol) through it exactly as we take the toothpaste on the brush and in about the same quantity. Did *not* open the receiver. Then I leveled it off lightly with a knife.

2. I then cut 4 1.5" wide strips of thin sponge sheet about 6" long - the one's you get when you purchase pricier Tees stuffed with them and a card paper. Made appropriate cut right through the center for about 3" so that the trigger and the stock holding nut 'pipe' can go through.

3. I then slipped the strips inside the stock in lieu of any expensive 'bedding' and refitted the metal to the wood.

Resultant was a noticeable reduction in recoil and the whiplash on the wrist. Why can't the same be tried on a full length springer AR as DIY ? :-) Yet to see -> how long the sponge 'holds' - My guess = for quite some time as it will not get enough play to shred.

Sponge sheet - FREE (after buying a Polo Tee worth INR 2000 ;^) )
Lithium Grease (in lieu of Moly) - INR 50 (I already had it)
Tools - Knife/ Screw Driver - Assumption you already have these

NB: The idea came after reading 'Spycatcher' where the author suggested that thick sponge be fitted beneath the sub motor to dampen the vibrations resulting in a great reduction in 'signature'.
Last edited by airgun_novice on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
==
(Death Wish V)

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi Amol,
> Good innovative work!
> In fact in one of my earlier posts I had suggested bedding the receiver for Air Rifles with 3mm spongy material that come with Lap Top packaging. Works well to dampen vibration.
> While this approach works - the primary objective is to reduce the basic vibrations in springers.
1. Ensure good clean, straight, uniform ID receiver tube.
2. Ensure well polished piston with no eccentricity in the piston rod - well polished sear.
3. Good synthetic seal that fits snugly with the help of a well machined adaptor.
4. Top quality spring + matching rear guide & top hat - very necessary to ensure NO CANTING TAKES PLACE while the spring is released from compression when the gun is fired.
5. Lastly good lubing of the internals of the receiver tube, spring guides, spring external & trigger sear. use appropriate grades of lubes.
> One more thing stick to ONE BRAND / ONE GRAIN WEIGHT / ONE TYPE CONFIGURATION PELLETS ALWAYS.
> THIS IS ACHIEVED BY SEVERAL TRIALS AT VARYING DISTANCES.
GOOD LUCK - HAPPY SHOOTING - HAPPY DIWALI! :D :D :D
Cheers :cheers:
Briha

SUFFIX
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by SUFFIX » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:08 pm

I am not sure to understand about the coating on breech. Can anyone tell me why you want the breech to be coated.
-Suffix

hornet
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:32 pm

sir's teflon cating in an engine is there to stay for sometime basically for non mixture of petrol and is expensive ina scooter it is meant to stay inthe oil mixture to make the things run extra smooth but any good lube is able to do in the times of synthetic oils.airgun barrels are meant to be just cleam that is all puttimg some lube of good gun quality oil on the cleaning pellet firing it through can do the job.never ever put oils on synthetic materials maybe seals of anything they tend to get loose or loose thier viscosity that is what ihave learned via expierance. and that is all noil on any seal , just simply keep it clean. teflon coating maybe applied during the manufacturing not otherwise it will not stay lubing the barrel after sometime and using the cleaning pelets is the right choice. nothing can be done to improve the shooting of the gun's barrel quality .as some has above mentioned twenty yrs and the thing is ok. because the right quality of building is there so nothing extra ordinary does or doesnot is a matter of personal expierance.keep trying on old atrguns but leave the new ones to recommended ideas by the manufacturer.

hornet
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:11 pm

here iam starting a new thread that springer of differant variety how do i tacle an airking spring of my diana. in break barrels we can do somethings which are possible. but in an airking model should i go to the gunsmith for service? or any suggestions from my seniors because i have started airgunning lately as pastime at the age of 56.earlier ihave had allgood quality imported dbbl.arifle and a pistol which icould handle easily for cleaning purposes.never arose the need to see a gunsmith.these airguns sound small but are difficult in tech.probs i admit i know very less about them.so i need advice on handling my diana airking 54....thanx :deadhorse:

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:18 pm

I was in an experimentation mode then. :-) Anyway, metal on metal won't make teflon coat stay for long. However, the metal (barrel etc.) and the wood (stock) have retained their sheen and the wood is very smooth to (be)hold - just too smooth for comfort. :-(
==
(Death Wish V)

SUFFIX
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by SUFFIX » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:53 am

airgun_novice wrote:I was in an experimentation mode then. :-) Anyway, metal on metal won't make teflon coat stay for long. However, the metal (barrel etc.) and the wood (stock) have retained their sheen and the wood is very smooth to (be)hold - just too smooth for comfort. :-(
> Plain wood feels much better than rubberized wood while holding the gun.

> I like cold blued steel than coated steel. (otherwise, I would have painted the barrel with car paint :) )