BEST INDIAN WOOD FOR IOF 30-06 RIFLE STOCK MODIFICATION

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

BEST INDIAN WOOD FOR IOF 30-06 RIFLE STOCK MODIFICATION

Post by veeveeaar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 am

Please suggest the best INDIAN wood , that is easily available , workable,durable and most suited for IOF 30-06 rifle. In TAMILNADU , NAATU Poovarsu or satin wood is most prefered for shotgun stocks. Does any of our friends have any other suggestions / experiences about the best suited INDIAN wood

For Advertising mail webmaster
Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Re: BEST INDIAN WOOD FOR IOF 30-06 RIFLE STOCK MODIFICATION

Post by Katana » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:43 am

veeveeaar,

I too am on the lookout for some walnut for my IOF .30-06. If you come across anything that can be managed please keep me in the loop.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:18 am

what is your comment on teakwood ?

-- Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:20 pm --

what is your comment on teakwood ?

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 am

I feel it might just be heavy for a stock. Anyway, do talk to people from your area if anyone have made teak stocks.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:50 am

Z375 has all the answers, try PMing him.

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:15 pm

Teak may be an option. Among other Indian timbers Sheesham (Dalbergia Sissoo) although heavier than teak can also be used for a gun stock. It certainly meets the required criteria in term of strength and workability.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:41 pm

walnut or guava, make sure the grain is straight and thick through the 'wrist'. I dont think resin injection is possible in India so, avoid 'knots' and try to have an idea about how long and how it has been cured/dried.
Sure , Teak and Shesahm should be good enough
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi V,Katana,try finding some dried out Pahari walnut specially from Kashmir,H.P or the higher reaches of U A,the grain of this Walnut is amazing and its weight is surprising less,i had a DBBL Gun restocked with this wood,it was amazing to look at,will try to PM the photos if i can find them. Shesham/Teak would be very heavy,though not a bad thing in Mid Cal rifles,but if you have to lug it for some time,it does create problems.Guava i am not very sure about.
PS ; I am usually in the hills in H P,will try and see if i can locate some Pahari Walnut planks,properly aged and PM you. :cheers:

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks Amit, for your offer. Bear in mind that the IOF has a two piece stock. This might require some more quantity than would be necessary.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Use teak.These chaps do

http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/

The difference between a stock made from teak or walnut is not going to be much.As it is,the IOF 30-06 is pretty light.Addition of some weight might be welcome for some.Or you can reduce weight by hollowing out the butt and/or forend.

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Dried , air seasoned African teak wood would be very light weight with good grains easily machinable ,overall best for making rifle stock.

THAMBI
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by THAMBI » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi,
I am Thambi from Nellore. To my knowledge Gangaravi wood(telugu name)malvaceae(mallow family) thespesia populnea or indian tulip tree in tamil poovarsam,portung in hindi it is called gajaganda (see google) is the best suitable for gun stocks. a well known gun smith in south india who is also my friend uses this wood.the wood is very lite weight and durable.

Thanks,
Thambi.
Last edited by THAMBI on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Kashmir Walnut

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:24 pm

There is a ban on the movement of walnut wood out of Kashmir.Also the possibility of some making it's way to Tamilnadu is pretty remote.Why not Rosewood? Makes a nice stock.

Stocks are made from woods other than walnut.

Beech,maple,mesquite,rosewood and laminated birch to name a few.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 am

All things considered, walnut is hard to beat for a gunstock. While other woods have been, and are being used, that usually is done because walnut has been too expensive, or not available in the quantities required.
True teak is quite a bit heavier, very stable, and hell on tools. Indian rosewood is also heavy, and has a tendency to develop checks and splits. Beech is widely used, but also splits more easily than walnut, and lacks figure and color. Birch, not necessarily laminated, is also widely used, but usually lacks the color and grain shown by walnut. Maple can have good figure, but requires special treatment to bring it out, and lacks color. There are other woods in the hardness and weight range of walnut, but lacking in stability when compared to walnut.
Don't know what wood is referred to as "African teak". I would think, that if readily available, and possessing the desired properties, you would see it used by the major manufacturers.