BEST INDIAN WOOD FOR IOF 30-06 RIFLE STOCK MODIFICATION

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
farhan.lateefi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: BEST INDIAN WOOD FOR IOF 30-06 RIFLE STOCK MODIFICATION

Post by farhan.lateefi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:29 pm

eljefe wrote:why untreated jhamela? check out boydsstocks or richards microfit.Boyds will send you a decent stock for less than USD100-excluding post. Some times you get bargains for lesser. BUT. dont muck around too much with the inletting.Very good stuff for upto and including 458.
hi eljefe,

is importing of stocks allowed? i want to order Laminated Birch Blanks..

regards
FL
''The great object is, that every man be armed.... Every one who is able may have a gun."

Patrick Henry

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Its a piece of fancy wood. By itself, shouldnt be a problem.Unless the connotations for FIRE ARM PART are upheld and appropriate sections of the import act applied? Kind of hazy here, Goodboy Mentor or Winne the pooh may be better people 8)
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

farhan.lateefi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by farhan.lateefi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:06 pm

eljefe wrote:Its a piece of fancy wood. By itself, shouldnt be a problem.Unless the connotations for FIRE ARM PART are upheld and appropriate sections of the import act applied? Kind of hazy here, Goodboy Mentor or Winne the pooh may be better people 8)
thanks a lot for the reply, lets wait for good boy or Winne.

regards
FL
''The great object is, that every man be armed.... Every one who is able may have a gun."

Patrick Henry

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:17 pm

some bargain stocks are about 68 USD.Give it a whirl.

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:52 pm

farhan.lateefi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by farhan.lateefi » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:25 pm

eljefe wrote:here:

htt p://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
hi,

good stocks and the prices are just amazing man. again the same question remains.... can i import them. will wait for someone to chip in on this.

i want to order this http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/RIFLE-BLA ... 00-043.htm

thanks
FL

Patrick Henry

maverickwebley
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by maverickwebley » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:24 pm

Kashmiri walnut is best. Problem is that you can not bring it out for commercial purpose. If any one of you visits kashmir for Amarnath yatra then you can buy a small piece of it any where from srinagar and bring it with you in your car. size should be 4"x 8"x34" for 30.06 rifle. You can also look for Gill Timbres on net. They have this product and many other timber products.

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi guys
after reading the post I had a word with Gill Timbers.They are really nice people to deal with.I have ordered two pieces of wood of size 3" x 8" x 20",this is the size that is recommended by my gunsmith Mr Deepak Mestry from kolhapur.I should get the consignment by this Tuesday ie 24/4/12.I can try and post the images once i get it.The wood is for the iof 30-06 2012 model.The wood as they say is American black walnut an is being imported from Canada.The cost will depend on the grade.They have walnut burl as well. :)

You can contact Gill timbers

Ph No - 8888201002

Regard's
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!"
MarkTwain

maverickwebley
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by maverickwebley » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Gr8 ..... American wlanut is best. Gill timbres have some stock of wood in chandigarh also. But I could not get a suitable size. They asked for Rs. 3000 per sq ft. Now I have asked my cousin who is army officer posted in J&K to arrange it for me. When he enquired from some local person for black walnut he is told that " Til Patra" is even better than walnut for rifle stocks. Til patra is local name for Maple wood. Now I am planning to two stocks of each type of wood. I,ll put pictures of ready stocks.

regards,

Rakeshwar Singh

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:36 am

maverickwebley wrote:Gr8 ..... American wlanut is best.
regards,

Rakeshwar Singh
American black walnut is good, but not "best". Both as to the specie of tree, and climate and soil conditions where it grows.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:39 pm

maverickwebley wrote:Now I have asked my cousin who is army officer posted in J&K to arrange it for me. When he enquired from some local person for black walnut
There is no black walnut in J&K.The Kashmir walnut is the same as Turkish/English walnut.There is a huge variation in walnut and you can not generalize.Also,taking out lumber from Kashmir has been banned.

jaz
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jaz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:16 pm

walnut from swat valley in Pakistan is better than the best.

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:57 pm

yes one can say black walnut is not the best ,most of the high end custom gun stocks are made of claro walnut or probably English walnut,but some experts believe that black walnut is more stronger than claro walnut ,however the strongest of them all the Bastone walnut is considered to be the strongest as it is used in big bore caliber rifles. Indian walnut i am not sure because for sometime i have been checking out these timber marts in Mumbai, and some dealers in Pune have the walnut wood but it was very difficult to make out the grain pattern as it was a rough cut and they were not ready to allow use of sandpaper on it to actually check the grain pattern on it.Honestly speaking only Indian walnut with good grain flow throughout was seen on ifg on a .315 made by Mr Bobby Sidhu and it was definitely high quality Indian walnut.Give me a couple of days i will post the images of the walnut i got from Gill timbers ,the wood is fine with good grain flow and is reasonably priced.

Regard's

Dhiraj
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!"
MarkTwain

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Sun May 20, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi guys,

posting the image of the black walnut blank.These were brought from gill timbers.The rifle should be ready by the first week of June.will post the pics of the rifle when complete ,with new sights ,recoil pad and properly crowned.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... to0329.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... to0328.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... to0327.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... to0325.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by .338 lapua on Sun May 20, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkTwain

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Sun May 20, 2012 2:59 pm

images for indian (kashmiri walnut),this is being made for a BSA .30.sorry about the images as was taken on a phone.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... to0324.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... to0323.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... to0322.jpg

Thanks.
MarkTwain