BEST INDIAN WOOD FOR IOF 30-06 RIFLE STOCK MODIFICATION

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Tourblanche
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: BEST INDIAN WOOD FOR IOF 30-06 RIFLE STOCK MODIFICATION

Post by Tourblanche » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:36 pm

This is a most interestin discussion , thanks to all of you .

But...... I have a different point of view , from where I am ( East cost , North America )

What is this wood ?

I am quite certain it comes from India

The color varies from one shipment to another , and even sometime on the same gun

because of the presence of sapwood , but it is easy corrected using aniline dyes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniline or even a more modern version of this product .

Here there is a genuine french gun of 1748 with french walnut stock and an India made reproduction after a few corrections in
color and finish

No doubt the Indian wood is heavier , if for not other reason the reproduction is larger ,
but as the increase of weight is on the butt side , it handles very much like the original.

So , my question is : What is this wood ? Dalbergia ? Teak ?

For Advertising mail webmaster
Gursarvinder Singh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Gursarvinder Singh » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:32 am

Hello friends!
I do want to make a new rifle stock. But I need help from someone residing near Indore. As I want Indian ebony wood for that. I know it's very heavy , but like granite its life is very very long. I will amaze you with the results. Please tell me if any help available!!
Well as far as suitability is concerned the most beautyful and most rugged wood is black seesam seasoned in water for at lest 3 years ( immersed immediately after cutting the log) then sawn in blanks and dried for 6 years in shade.
Best wishes.
G. Singh

Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pritu79 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:45 am

Has any one tried red cedar......I have found it to have decent qualities. really liked the figured grains combined with watermarks. Good to work on and has a lot of oil in it, which really smells amazing when heated. I had made a sidelock stock out of it some time back.....was a bit skepticle on using it as a lot of work goes in to making a sidelock stock, but the colour and grains of the wood really apealed to me. I'll try to post a pic of the leftover trim of the blank when i get time.

cheers

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Pritu,

Is red cedar same as Indian Mahogany or is it pine wood.Indian ebony is very hard to find ,however while i was looking for an African ebony wood for the for-end a dealer quoted 25000/- per cuft and only sells it in bulk.I am using a reddish black Indian rose wood for the fore end tip.I am sure the stock would come out nice from this type of rose wood as I have seen some old muzzle loading rifles made from this type of wood.
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!"
MarkTwain

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Last edited by Rajat on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Tourblanche wrote: So , my question is : What is this wood ? Dalbergia ? Teak ?
From this picture it is very difficult to accurately identify the wood. By the light colored heartwood it appears to be teak wood (tectona grandis) but although it is generally darker at times you also get Dalbergia (sissoo) in this colour. If you have other pictures or a few pieces / lot together then it will be easier to identity the wood.

Since it is natural wood the colour will always vary (overall the grain pattern will be similar) and if the manufacturer is not very selective you will get sap wood too but as you said this may be easily matched in colour to the darker heart wood with the help of wood stains.

Tourblanche
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Tourblanche » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:26 pm

The best way to know would be to ask these gentlemen

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:54 pm

To me that wood looks very close to north Indian sheesham,I am sure it is not Teak .
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!"
MarkTwain

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Gents, those in Mumbai can have a look at Jalaram Veneers. They stock Exotic woods from all over the world. I have seen some beautiful samples for African Ebony, Spalted Maple Mahogany,Oak, Walnut brought for a project of mine.( I am not sure which woods are used for making gun stocks, except Walnut )

These are very expensive and sell by Cubic Foot or Ghan Foot in local lingo. I am sure they will be cheaper than the woods available with the Fire Arms Dealers in Mumbai.
Worth having a look. I'll see if I can get the pics of the samples and arrange for a price list...

Jalaram Veneers

Near Siddhivinayak Temple Agar Bazar Daya Nagar, S K Bole Road, Dadar West, Mumbai - 400028

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:04 pm

.338 lapua wrote:To me that wood looks very close to north Indian sheesham,I am sure it is not Teak .
Sheesham IS Dalbergia Sissoo

Teak at times also has similar grains.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Dear All;

In no way endorsing these prices or the particular vendor. Came across this thread and thought this information might be useful for fellow IFGians. Saw some obsence prices quoted for wooden blanks on gungeek, so this should be helpful. Some very nice samples of these exotic woods are lying with our architects office. Will try and arrange for some pics. Though the samples are generally taken from the pieces with teh best grain, but should give you an idea.

I have very limited knowledege of firearms but know walnut is extensively used for gun stocks.

And yes if anyone manages to procure a pretty looking piece for their gun stocks, spare a little piece for me for some nice knife handle slabs :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The below prices are in cubic foot

Please find below the names and prices as requested
Wood Prices
Am Cherry / Am Walnut 6336/- to 6912/-
Am Wh Oak 3600/- to 4320/-
Am Red Oak 3312/- to 4032/-
Am White Ash 2448/- to 2880/-
Af Mahogany / Af Cherry 3888/- to 4176/-
Ind Mahogany 4608/- to 4896/-
Bubinga 5040/- to 5472/-
Jatoba / Sucupira 5760/- to 6336/-
Ipe 6480/- to 7200/-
Braz Walnut 5040/- to 5760/-
Wenge / Zebrana 7200/- to 8352/-
Fumed 7200/- to 7776/-
Sycamore 2448/- to 2880/-

21/2" x3" - Rs.720/- Extra, Add 12.5% Vat.

Thanks
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

thunderbird1
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by thunderbird1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:15 am

Hi Friends
I talked with two gun smiths from Kochi and few old timers. They are unanimous in recommending Pezha tree (Careya Arborea, Kumbhi(Hindi) or Slow match tree(English). Butts made from this tree can absorb tremendous shock loads including hammer blows with out breaking. Bottom most portion of trunk seasoned atleast two months in water is used for processing.
The second best choice is Poovarasu (Portia/ umbrella tree/ pacific rose wood or Indian Tulip). This is traditionally used for gun butts in Kerala.
Mahogany is a strict no-no (develops cracks).
Teak is supposed to be heavy even though it got great finish.

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:29 pm

Burma teak and walnut have more or less same physical properties and workability is also very good . quater sawn timber have good grains like walnut .

magnolia
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by magnolia » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:25 pm

I had to search a lot to make a spear shaft from Indian wood . Then I had to read a lot about wood .

I would recommend
1. Dalbergia sisoo ( Shesham )
2. Walnut
3 . Mahogany
4 . Babool ( yes babool . its hard like Shal , light weight but strong , heart wood takes a very nice finish )
5 . Teak
6. Citrus maxima

May visit wooddatabase.com and consider stiffness and mor to select the correct wood .

Best of luck !

chetan4shooting
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chetan4shooting » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:46 am

Brothers, as far as my experience in Furniture Manufacturing Business; for .30-06 Stock Kashmir Waulnut , Gajaganda, Indian desert Babool, Himalayan Sprus can be used for Light weight Stocks and if want heavy weight stock - use Black seesam and Sagwaan