Cleaning chambers of revolver

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
ruger_rugged
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Cleaning chambers of revolver

Post by ruger_rugged » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Gurus,
Please suggest method to clean chambers of revolver. Stubborn carbon deposited on the walls of chambers are giving me a hard time. I have tried with patches soaked in gasoline. It did clean but its not impressive. I dont want to use brass brush and am looking for some thing that will dissolve carbon and that is available in India.

:cheers:

For Advertising mail webmaster
vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Cleaning chambers of revolver

Post by vrohan59 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Use a nitro solvent,I use Ballistol :cheers:
War does not define who is right -- only who is left
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:49 pm

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12837
ruger_rugged wrote:Friends I need any caliber NPB Revolver / Pistol just for retaining licence. I am in Thane, Maharashtra.
ruger_rugged wrote:Please suggest method to clean chambers of revolver. Stubborn carbon deposited on the walls of chambers are giving me a hard time. I have tried with patches soaked in gasoline. It did clean but its not impressive. I dont want to use brass brush and am looking for some thing that will dissolve carbon and that is available in India
So may be you have a revolver and looking for a second handgun . :)

Kindly do tell ......
1. After how many rounds are u getting the so called stubborn carbon deposit on the chamber walls ?
2. Which ammo are you using ?
3. What is the caliber/make/model of your revolver ?
4. What about the lead fouling around the forcing cone and under surface of the top strap ?

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:51 pm

@ Doc - :shock: thats an amazing piece of detective work! Kudos!
Maybe, this is sort of planning things much ahead? Like, if I had a blued revolver, how would I go about removing carbon deposits that are bound to build up on the cylinder, when I have shot it for a while? :lol:

Anyway for whatever it is worth - here goes:

Hi ruger_rugged,

I have seen in some earlier posts that

Tetra Gun Care Kits are available from:

R K Trading Company
33/1, Netaji Subhash Road
414, Marshall House Kolkata,
West Bengal, INDIA PIN-700001
Phone no. 033 220 9882 / 033 220 9468

Tetra Gun have solvents check here for details:

http://www.tetraproducts.com/products_b ... 20Products

http://www.tetraproducts.com/images/pd- ... volver.pdf

For blued revolvers you could use a tough bristled brush, such as a slim bottle brush, or even a tooth brush.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

bandukbhandar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by bandukbhandar » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:54 pm

This is the address of Sansun Mercantile and now they are not in business of gumn accessories.

ruger_rugged
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ruger_rugged » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:55 pm

Dear Doc,
Actually we got 3 firearms in the household. 2 Revolvers and a 12 Bore DBBL. I recently got a handgun licence as additional weapon and therefore I am looking for a handgun. My dad got a 32 cal Spanish Revolver and brother got 32 Cal IOF. We did some shooting using S&B and KF about 30 rounds with both the weapons. Inspite of intensive cleaning I am not able to get rid of carbon layer in the chambers towards the forcing cone. I am able of clean everything else apart from this.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:15 pm

ruger_rugged wrote: My dad got a 32 cal Spanish Revolver and brother got 32 Cal IOF. We did some shooting using S&B and KF about 30 rounds with both the weapons. Inspite of intensive cleaning I am not able to get rid of carbon layer in the chambers towards the forcing cone. I am able of clean everything else apart from this.
ruger_rugged,
Thanks for clarifying . You did not say whether the Spanish or the IOF revolver developed the fouling. So you fired 30 shots , say 15 with each ? Now 15 is hardly a number that would leave such stubborn leading in the chambers and forcing cone area i.e. presuming that you started with absolutely clean chambers/cone/barrel. I suspect that the fouling has been slow and chronic and has been highlighted late . One of the underlying causes for stubborn leading might be a slight misalignment between the bore and the cylinder . Can we make sure that it is a "carbon only" fouling or is it leading too ?
Here is a link on leading .... http://www.leverguns.com/articles/leading.htm

I believe that a brass brush is not going to harm your firearm and you might have to use it judiciously that too for a "longish" time to get rid of all the fouling . Gasoline alone might not be a good idea and you might need a stronger solvent available at/around your place. If the problem is persistent and nasty, I reckon, services of a good gunsmith might be required regarding the alignment issues.

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

ruger_rugged
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ruger_rugged » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks vrohan59, ckkalyan, bandukbhandar and Doc.

The handguns have not been fully clean for a while. A slight amount of carbon layer was always left behind in chambers due to low to inability of gasoline in dissolving the carbon residue. I guess a strong solvent will do the job. Hoppes # 9 which works really good but I couldnot bring it to India because TSA did not allow.

Friends Any place in Mumbai / Pune where I can buy Hoppes # 9 or Ballistol.

Thanks again