How to mount a rifle-scope

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:50 am

Yaj,

I haven't heard about the TS range but according to http://www.pyramydair.com/site/articles ... ed-for-it/ it should work.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: How to mount a rifle-scope...

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:57 am

Grumpy";p="35014 wrote:I don`t even use loctite to `lock` the screws - never had one come loose.
Different type of recoil on a centrefire compared to a spring piston airgun. They don't always work loose on the latter but it does happen now and then.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:08 am

In simple words, what would one have to ask a dealer for a scope that can be fitted onto most guns. Are there any standards that scopes should confirm with?
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:18 am

If you are buying a spring-piston airgun ask for a spring-piston rated riflescope.

In your particular case, get the Weihrauch HW77K and a Bushnell Legend 4-12x40.

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:26 am

Mack The Knife wrote:Yaj,

I haven't heard about the TS range but according to http://www.pyramydair.com/site/articles ... ed-for-it/ it should work.
Thanks Mack The Knife, it was the Tom Gaylord article that got me interested in it.
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

biking3819
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by biking3819 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:38 am

Mack The Knife wrote:
is the cross etched on the glass?
Got it in one.
does it help to a stronger scope?

Do you mean, "does it help to have a better airgun rated scope"? If so, the answer is yes but it entirely depends on the recoil of your airgun.
thanx Mack The Knife,
-what i meant was does an etched reticle contributes to make a scope tougher to the springer recoil.
sanjiv

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:51 pm

does an etched reticle contributes to make a scope tougher to the springer recoil.
I believe it does but it would also depend on how this etched bit of glass is held in place.

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:22 pm

Brilliant work Mack The Knife! A little elaborate for a novice for me ,but useful for folks with all the access to equipment like yours!. If I may add my 2 cents!
I have a very simple routine I follow!
Firstly (for correct eye relief)I mount the scope onto the powderburner/air rifle,but,do not tighten the rings.I then view a distant object ,and with my eyes fixed on the object I simultaneously bring the gun to the shoulder,which should have the effect of magnifying the object immediately!
When am satisfied with the correct eye relief, I place the gun on a flat surface or at least try and balance it on a flat surface,then using a bore sighter(not the laser one,but with a caliberation grid), I sight the scope. I tighten all the screws last ,i.e,after the reticle looks to be in the correct angle.
This system is not perfect at all,but it has worked for me most of the time.
I have an old bore sighter,which has inserts from .22 up to .35 caliber and I think gamo have started making a similar one now!
Take care!

Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:27 pm

Thanks Mack The Knife,
Very useful advice from u as always. Roughly how much would a scope of the types u mentioned cost in india.
Thanks and Regards.
Happy

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:37 pm

An excellent work by Mack The Knife. i was wondering if someone could elaborate a somewhat similar procedure of boresighting( and hence zeroing) a bolt action scoped rifle ( which permits bolt removal) though i use the method of aligning the scope with the bore on a target and then finally zeroing by firing.are boresighters effective devices in this regard ,has anyone used one .i am intersted for my brno model 1 .22 rifle though i know this is an off this thread topic.andy

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 pm

Happy";p="35063 wrote:Roughly how much would a scope of the types u mentioned cost in india.
If you buy from an individual, at the very least it will be the cost price - even for an used example. Costs are almost twice as much if the scope was bought in the U.K. instead of the U.S., for the simple reason that optics cost more in the U.K.. For example, a scope costing $100.00 in the U.S. will usually cost GBP 100.00 in the U.K.

Gun shop mark-ups are usually a minimum of twice what the scope actually costs overseas. Good quality European glass will carry a super premium but you don't see too many of these on sale.

Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:02 am

Thanks Buddy.
Regards
Happy.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Rusty, with your permission, I would like to convert this to PDF to safely store away for Personal use ONLY.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:04 pm

Fine with me but you need to ask Abhijeet as well.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:36 pm

Thanks Rusty, Abhijeet that ok with you?
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.