How to give your stock a BASIC oil finish

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:43 pm

Vikram";p="14903 wrote:Fantastic again.Mack The Knife great job.The gloss of that stock is superb.I am already visualising the end product.

Best-
Vikram
Thanks. Just don't get too carried away by the visualising....
It may impress the janta log (common man) but not someone who has had the opportunity to hold some of the world's best in his grubby mitts. ;) :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Hey rustum boss atleast tell us now why u were saving those cotton bud stems ..Wads the secret of those sticks?????
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

penpusher

Re: How to give your stock a BASIC oil finish.

Post by penpusher » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:29 pm

Mack The Knife,

Can't see anything in the last couple of posts.From the one saying"Added to the original post"

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:13 pm

penpusher";p="14919 wrote:Mack The Knife,

Can't see anything in the last couple of posts.From the one saying"Added to the original post"

penpusher
penpusher, penpusher, penpusher... :roll:

Having a Sardar moment are we? :mrgreen:

See the ORIGINAL (aka FIRST post on this topic). That is where I have been adding the information and pictures as the work progresses.

Mack The Knife (still chuckling)

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:37 pm

And you keep on calling what you are doing with the stock BASIC.It is coming along very well.However if you plan to add a new recoil pad at a later stage,you will have to do this all over again,at least with the butt.Grinding the recoil pad to the stock dimensions would marr the finish.The recoil pad that is on the stock is ugly.So did you pattern it again using the tips offered?

penpusher

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:46 pm

Awesome Job Mack The Knife, :D A very nicely showing step by step guide also..waiting to see the final product

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:31 pm

Thanks. However, it's one of those good from far but far from good efforts. Trust me. I'd be the first to blow my trumpet if I thought it was justified.

This is very basic. One cannot afford to miss any of these steps.
However if you plan to add a new recoil pad at a later stage,you will have to do this all over again.
I am glad you brought this up because neither Grumpy nor I like it. What's worse is that it makes the reach to pull too long for me. It's the only non-original bit on the gun. I'd love to have an original buttplate/pad and even found someone who had this very same gun (non-deluxe version) but he cannot find the plate he had removed in favour off a Pachmayr offering.

I have been looking for butt plates on the net from a shop that will mail it to me but am unable to find a suitable example and may have to settle for an English style orange butt pad. I have never done this before but this is the way I plan to do it.

1) Establish how much of the buttstock needs to be cut once the butt pad is at hand.

2) Mark the buttstock.

3) Put masking tape.

4) Make the cut.

5) Outline the cut end of the butt stock on buttpad and mark the angle of the toe as well.

6) Grind buttpad as close as possible to the outline before fixing to buttstock.

7) Fix buttstock and sand manually.

8 ) Keep fingers crossed whilst removing masking tape.

Grumpy, if you should read this, please let me know what you think of the above method.

No, I did not pattern it again. I couldn't make it to the range last Sunday, so decided to start working on the gun. I knew it would be the wrong thing to do but I am an impatient sod at times.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:41 pm

badshah0522";p="14918 wrote:Hey rustum boss atleast tell us now why u were saving those cotton bud stems ..Wads the secret of those sticks?????
Don't worry, it has nothing at all to do with fishing. Will wait until Asif see's the question. He's going to be extremely busy for the next few days.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:12 am

Will get back to you later - we`re about to go out again - but thought that I`d point out that a Silvers pad is a recoil pad and just as thick as a ventilated pad......or very nearly.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:24 am

Lovely, Mack The Knife!

I do think that if you joined Trinidad State and did your Gunsmithing degree we could have a Guild member gunsmith in our midst. 8)

Superb and congratulations again!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:53 am

Ta, Mehul.

Good news! My friend (you chaps know him as Cauvery Cowboy) found the original Brno butt plate and it will be on it's way to Bangalore tomorrow.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:11 pm

I was going to suggest that if the stock was the correct length once the `go-faster` white butt pad was removed that it might make sense to refinish the butt as a British gun, by shaping and cross-hatching it.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:56 pm

Grumpy,

We have already discussed this and you know I would like to have some protection at the rear of the stock.

BTW, if one were to add a butt plate/pad to an already finished stock would the method outlined by me above be correct?

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:18 pm

Yup, it`s about the only way you can go about things Dodger.........unless you want to have to refinish the stock again that is !
I`ve just checked the 9 shotguns in the room with me and three of them have no buttplates - including both sidelocks.
Of course your mum said that you were a rough boy.......maybe you ought to think about covering the wood with tape just in case you bash the gun about....... camo would look almost as nice as a posey white butt pad !
:wink: ( :twisted: ) :lol:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:10 pm

Hehehe....

Stock sealing procedure added.

Mack The Knife