Dummy Cartridges to prevent Pin Damage for Shotgun

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
VJ
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Dummy Cartridges to prevent Pin Damage for Shotgun

Post by VJ » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:53 am

Guys I was not aware that I needed to release the triggers after cleaning or getting ready to keep the Shogun aside for a while going through the "http://www.gsmithco.com/accessories2.htm" site foun that out. Checked up a sporting goods store and since they dd not have anything available suggested using empty shells? Is "Conventors" a term for this? If not what do I searh on to get the right part. Also is using empty shells a good idea? What do people normally use?

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Dummy Cartridges to prevent Pin Damage for Shotgun

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:23 am

Hi VJ,

I use the G. Smith snap caps. Provided a used cartridge fits into the chamber you could use that as well.

Mack The Knife

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:55 pm

It is not advisable to snap the triggers of a shotgun before storing it away, more so if it ia an ejector gun. The hammers of the ejectors which are in the fore end stay released from the sear waiting for the gun to break open in order to eject the shell. In other words they are neither totally set back nor fully released and as a result get weaker with the time. This is applicable to doubles only which are generally stored away without diassembling them after snapping the firing pin.(an advice from the house of Holland & Holland) I have seen almost all gun owners and even gun dealers practicing this snapping business which is harmful to the doubles.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:15 pm

marksman";p="16158 wrote: It is not advisable to snap the triggers of a shotgun before storing it away, more so if it ia an ejector gun. The hammers of the ejectors which are in the fore end stay released from the sear waiting for the gun to break open in order to eject the shell. In other words they are neither totally set back nor fully released and as a result get weaker with the time.
Marksman
:? sorry, i've completely lost the plot. so if snapping the triggers of a double with auto ejectors weakens the auto ejector springs, will NOT snapping them not weaken the spring in the action?

i might add i'm assuming snapping to be the simple business of "releasing" a cocked trigger.

please enlighten me further, and fast :x . the bits of my cleaned gun are splayed around the room, and i need to put everything back correctly, and quickly. i can almost hear SWMBO around the corner, about to enter the house( :roll: "oh my god what have you been up to again, at this hour")

anand
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:28 pm

What I do to my Beretta O/U is to snap the triggers on "snap caps" or dummy rounds and before opening the gun, click out the forearm. Then open the gun, and store it. The Beretta manual also mentions this.

Replacing springs in the forearm wd be easier/cheaper than replacing the action springs I'm sure. YMMV. Most everyone I know does the same, even on Perazzi's and Kreighoffs. I've also seen one guy hold the trigger back when closing the gun. I wonder what that does, never tried it not knowing what it may cause.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:30 pm

Another topic for Grumpy to answer!

Here's my "Yankee Ingenuity" approach-

Take a fired shotgun shell, cut the plastic off and make a wood plug to fit. Now where the primer is indented, fill it with a dot of solder and tap it with a small hammer so it is flat. The solder will indent but will still support the firing pin.

I always meant to punch the primer out and epoxy a piece of nylon in there, but so far have never gotten around to it.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:42 am

Using spent shells is not advisable.Mistaking live shells for spent shells is not impossible.Snap caps make better sense.But, really as far as I know,leaving the gun cocked does little or no harm.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:36 am

I have snap caps for most calibres and shotgun gauges which is the ideal scenario of course........although finding them isn`t always easy.
Yes, I`ve heard the arguments for and against snapping the strikers on a double and am firmly in favour of doing so. It is my opinion that `V` springs are more inclined to take a set than coil springs and more difficult to replace.
As regards removing the fore-end before opening the gun......... just try doing it the other way round.
Using a drop of solder as a substitute for a primer is interesting: Solder isn`t going to indent/deform as much as a primer but would offer a more `cushioned` response than allowing the striker shoulders to slam into the back of the face of the action. Pure lead, without any hardener, would probably be better again. There must be a superior alternative ... nylon is a possibility but isn`t renowned for its compressibility.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:07 am

Go ahead and dry practice as much as you want with the snap caps. Once you decide to put the shotgun away, do it without snapping the trigger. You may or may not keep the snap caps in the chamber. I have followed this principle all along with no ill effect on my shotgun that was built in 1912 and the firing pins strike as good as new and the ejectors still toss the empties 12 feet.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:56 am

Marksman, I think dry firing without snap caps would cause the firing pin holes to enlarge/deform as the only thing to stop the firing pins from flying out are the holes and I think they'd deform. Mind you, I don't fully know what retention is provided for the firing pin inside the receiver. I have seen quite a few guns with deformed firing pin holes and I suspect it is caused by too much dry firing without snap caps. Those deformed holes make the breech face unsightly. Eeeew.

VJ
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by VJ » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:50 am

Thanks for your input guys, have placed an order for snap caps some for me some for family in India.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:24 am

Mind you, I don't fully know what retention is provided for the firing pin inside the receiver.
Sharieff,

In my gun the strikers are held in place by threaded discs.

The first photo shows the action with the disc set strikers removed.

The next shows the retaining discs, strikers and spring. The sequence is wrong and the threaded discs should actually have been placed to the right of the spring.

Mack The Knife

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:47 pm

Wow Mack The Knife, thank you for the pics, really appreciate it.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:53 pm

No problem, Sharief. I did not open her up just for the pics. :mrgreen:

I think those springs are called striker rebound springs. Is that right, Grumps?

Mack The Knife