Ballistol

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Ballistol

Post by art_collector » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:09 pm

I see this Ballistol advertisement on the top of the site. Has anyone used it and what are the results like.

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Ballistol

Post by nagarifle » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:14 pm

not used it. but do enjoy the smell, beats channel No 5.lol
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:17 pm

Nagarifle,

This is rather OTT, but Hoppes has gone a step further and even put out their oil scented fresheners. Check this out http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_air_freshener.html

Art_Collector,

Ballistol is a very well known brand. Probably from our grand daddys' time. :wink: I personally use the old Rangoon Oil, but I'm sure Ballistol is a worthy product. Plus this is available 'officially' unlike the other stuff that we either scrounge around for or ask our well wishers to get for us from abroad.

Secondly, most people who keep arms tend to be loyal to a particular type or brand of oil throughout their life. I'm not sure why but that's just the way things are.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

rahul567
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Ballistol

Post by rahul567 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:59 pm

I have been using ballistol products for my airguns, and am totally satisfied .universal oil is very useful as it's not viscous and sticky kinds , so ease to remove and doesn't attract dust & grime . But can't give any comparison since I haven't used many other products

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Katana,
I know Rangoon oil has been drilled into our psychee from the days of Raaj but I have seen many a beautiful guns ruined with it as well. This thick machine oil (these days sold as Rangoon Oil) by Vorajis, seeps into the wood around the metal and makes it soft and spongy which eventually plays havoc with the accuracy of a fire arm, especially rifles. Besides it gets thoroughly absorbed in the entire stock over the years. The only way to get this oil out of this wood if it's not totally ruined already is to boil it in water. Actually one should keep the fire arm upside down if at all one decides to use this thick dark oil. This will prevent this oil from seeping into the butt and ruining it. This advise came from a very senior and experienced shikari and seems pretty logical. I wouldn't be able to comment on how the synthetic oils of today's generation react with wood though. I keep mine in a Gun Cabinet protected by dehumidifier (Golden Rod) and wipe it occasionally with silicon cloth. That's it. Has worked for me for last 35 yrs.
Art_ collector,
Ballistol is a reputed product and rightly stands by it's claim of protect fire arms. I do use it when outdoors and it has proved to be very useful general purpose barrel cleaner and lubricant with fine results.
Cheers !!
Marksman

bodhijobs
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by bodhijobs » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:17 pm

I have been using ballistol universal oil for quite some time. Its good, smooth and spreads evenly. Good point is that the oil can also be used on wood, leather etc which makes it a multipurpose oil.

Regards
BDG
Shoot Safe and Shoot Smart...

Bruno22
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Ballistol

Post by Bruno22 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:47 am

I have been using Sentry Solutions Tuf cloth marine on all my guns and knives. I find it's very effective, easy to apply and stays on for quite a while.
THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR.

bodhijobs
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by bodhijobs » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Just to inform you all that you can get Ballistol products at Garg Armoury near Kashmiri Gate, New Delhi. Prices are same as those mentioned in the website. Just picked up a bottle of oil from them.

Regards
BDG
Shoot Safe and Shoot Smart...

skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by skeetshot » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Ballistol is a very old product (1905) and has stood the test of time.

I have been using it for over twenty years, and in todays world of new wonder products, it still stands in good stead.

One of the problems we have here in India is that many of our guns have wooden stocks, and has rightly been pointed out by Marksman, certain oils, especially petroleum based ones, are not good for wood.

Ballistol is not a petroleum based oil and as Bodhijobs observed can be used on wood, in fact it nurtures wood and is the one gun oil you can use freely on both wood and steel.

Being slightly alkaline in nature, it exhibits good cleaning properties and doesnt attack steel.

It is also safe to humans, and in fact can be consumed orally for upset stomachs, there are even capsules sold made from Ballistol.

I am happy to see the product in India, an this will go a long way in preserving our guns for future generations.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:55 pm

where can i buy it in india-im based at roorkee

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:38 pm

andy_65_in wrote:where can i buy it in india-im based at roorkee
Hi Andy,
> You can contact "Ballistol" on phone - 0120 4167639 / 3103202 and speak to Ms. Andrea
> They are located at this address:
1 - 1st Floor, Surya Kiran Complex, 38/A, West Laxmi Market, Main Patparganj Rd, Delhi 110051
> They are very helpful & will give you product details + prices.
Good Luck / Cheers :D
Brihacharan

Eoinsloan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eoinsloan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Ballistol has the great advantage of not attacking walnut shotgun stocks - so you can keep the guns stock down. I put a note on the IMF Greener Crossbolt thread as I use it on my Boswells. When one of friends has a cough he puts a quick spray down his throat - INSIDE! I don't go that far (!) but after cleaning the guns wipe my hands clean on the cat who has lovely glossy rainproof fur as a result. Dogs love it on their ears as well! With experience as Engineering and Weapons Manager of a British Royal Navy Dockyard I use it exclusively. It also has good properties when cleaning shotgun bores after using black powder.
Eoin S
(Eoin Sloan Cdr RN CEng) :D

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Guys,
I have been using Ballistol on my Isaac Hollis DBBL, I was very happy about the results I was getting.
Took off residue etc, smoothly, gun became squeaky shiny,

UNTIL..........

I saw these video on you tube..[youtube][/youtube]

&
[youtube][/youtube]

I am concerned about fellow IFGians using the product, in fact @hickok45 boasts about Ballistol too much, like [youtube][/youtube], but in one video he also acknowledges that with prolong usage the gun becomes smoother (does that mean, loss of metal from between)

I have this fear now to use it on my revolver, that Ballistol though cleans, but is a quick solvent so it can eat up the metal of your guns.

Please research properly before using it on them.

I am open to the views of gurus and suggestions please.

Cheers....

YogiBear
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by YogiBear » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:23 am

Aloha,

Sorry, but, to me and some others, it smells like old stinky socks that have been worn for a long time.

Course, my friendly outboard engine mechanic likes and uses it.

Most of what I use on guns, except for Hoppes don't have any smell or odor.

That way when I clean guns in the patio, the Wife doesn't complain.

Especially when I'm cleaning Her guns.