Slight rust Cleaning Isaac Hollis SxS DBBL

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
perfectionist
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Slight rust Cleaning Isaac Hollis SxS DBBL

Post by perfectionist » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:55 pm

I have my Grand Father's Isaac Hollis SxS DBBL, which is in excellent condition with great internals, from a couple of years, I am observing certain rust dots on the outer side of the barrel which I want to fix.

Can you please help me which product to use for cleaning up the rust dots, I heard Ballistol or WD 40 can harm the gun metal or remove the polish.

Also please help me by suggesting which product to use for shining up the wood stock, which is excellent. My family has been using Singer Machine oil so far to oil and clean. only hammer spring has been changed so far and the gun fires good.

I hope machine oil is ok to use.

Your quick help in suggesting the two ideal product is appreciated.

regards.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Slight rust Cleaning Isaac Hollis SxS DBBL

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:13 pm

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Neither Ballistol nor WD-40 will harm the metal, or "remove the polish". A bit of fine steel wool and WD40 is a good way to remove light rust. NEVER use something like machine oil on the stock, it ruins it. A few drops of linseed oil on the palm of your hand, and then well rubbed on the stock, is what you would use to maintain the stock finish.
Ballistol reportedly is safe for use on wood also; but the original stock finish was linseed oil.
A fine machine oil, such a sewing machine oil, is fine for the lock work, but remember to use it sparingly.

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:52 pm

The only problem with using WD-40 is that the blueing tends to fade. Balistol is supposed to have better results and can be used on wood as well as leather.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:32 pm

art_collector wrote:The only problem with using WD-40 is that the blueing tends to fade. Balistol is supposed to have better results and can be used on wood as well as leather.
Can only say that I have never experienced that problem with any gun, whether old style rust blue, or modern caustic hot blue. And I have been using WD40 on guns for over fifty years.

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Can only say that I have never experienced that problem with any gun, whether old style rust blue, or modern caustic hot blue. And I have been using WD40 on guns for over fifty years.[/quote]
:agree:
I've been using WD40 on every gun in the family for about last 20yrs. I seriously think that as a rust protector it works the best. Infact my time in US I remember the old WD40 ads in Guns & Ammo claiming it will not remove blueing or spoil the stock. Infact the old advert used to claim it is used by some gunsmiths in the buleing process.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:50 pm

The most amazing thing about WD 40 is...its has an amazing action on rusted nuts and bolts...old water pipes (which are rusted)..they open in a jiffy once WD 40 is sprayed on them. Anything to do with removing rust WD 40 is the best option.

Eoinsloan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eoinsloan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:24 pm

On other than wood WD-40 is pretty good stuff. When I was Engineer Officer of the Type 12 Frigate HMS Rhyll in the 1970's, if there was a lot of salt spray in the air, after landing the complete outside of our "WASP" helicopter was sprayed using a 'stirrup pump' sucking from a 10 gallon drum of WD-40.
Eoinsloan

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Kerosene is great at removing rust as well. You can get a cold re-bluing product and touch up the bluing. Just do it outside.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:06 pm

art_collector wrote:The only problem with using WD-40 is that the blueing tends to fade. Balistol is supposed to have better results and can be used on wood as well as leather.
really?
i have not noticed that at all with all the weapons I soak in WD 40 for storage.