Working on a shotgun stock..

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Pradyumna
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Working on a shotgun stock..

Post by Pradyumna » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Sorry for my ignorance. What is
'' Tung Oil '' where can I get it ?

For Advertising mail webmaster
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Tung Oil is an oil extract from the seed of the tung tree (Aleurites fordii) and is actually grown here in Mizoram
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Pradyumna
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Pradyumna » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Thank you... Jonahpach. BTW what is the local name for it ? I will visit Agartala in December. Can it be available there ?

Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pritu79 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:47 pm

The stock that you see right now has been finished or rather has been given its final finish. i was thinking of staining the wood, but again left it the way it was which really looks superb. Probably i did not do justice to the stock, as i am not that good with the camera. :)

cheers

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:49 am

Pritu looks like its available in mumbai itself.. http://trade.indiamart.com/details.mp?offer=3021453933
http://www.riddhichemical.com/ there is a problem sending liquids by courier from mizoram. If you contact them please do let me know their rates per litre.
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:47 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:Moin,

Linseed oil will be a poor choice as a wood finish.It will never dry.Ok,it will but in a couple of years.

Winnie: Sounds as if you are applying too thick a coat. A few drops on the palm of your hand at a time, spread it on your palms, and rub it into the wood. Dries in a day unless it's really humid. Repeat until you have the desired finish. Tung oil will give some folks a nasty rash.

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:01 pm

what is your finial grit of sanding?? Tru oil and wax buffed will be good finish you have to import it may cost a bit nothing wrong in spending a bit when you got that beautiful stock... or many coats tung oil will also be good finish with wet sanding and wax buffing. It will really make the grains pop out...

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Pritu
That was a super job. Best to leave the Walnut alone, staining to bring out the grain gives it an artificial look. BTW where did u get that fantastic piece of walnut from? The in-lettin and the checkering is all first class. For a finish try mixing 2 tablespoons of pure boiled linseed oil with 200 ml of shellac based carpenters varnish. Apply it like varnish, It will dry quicker, seal better and with a little experimentation, give u a great finish. Congratulations again for an excellent effort
All the Best

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:52 am

shooter50 wrote:Pritu
That was a super job. Best to leave the Walnut alone, staining to bring out the grain gives it an artificial look. BTW where did u get that fantastic piece of walnut from?
Given the figure flowing through the blank, a good stain coupled with the correct technique, will highlight areas in the wood like no other, I will post examples of this with done with test blanks from various pieces of black walnut, albeit of the same family the characteristics exhibited from blank to blank vary greatly, the properties of the species may remain the same, i.e its ability to take on different varieties of finish, its work-ability, resistance to break or warp, etc., but the end result will depend greatly on the natural figure present in the blank, heartwood usually has the best figure.
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pritu79 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:48 pm

:agree: stain does bring out the grains and figure's but if done tastefully, often libral staining tends to over exagerate the figure's and mess the whole stock up.
Another factor related to workability, wood with larger amount of burl and figures do look preety and exotic but greatly reduce workability. since the orientarion of grain direction is distorted its difficult to avoid digging in and chipping the blank while plaining, but then again if their no pain their no gain......you need to have an experienced hand or you end up using filler material.

Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pritu79 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:09 pm

My next project will be a Mauser 98, that is as a find time.