Working on a shotgun stock..

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Working on a shotgun stock..

Post by Safarigent » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:34 am

Alsi ka tel
To Excellence through Diligence.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:19 pm

Safarigent wrote:Alsi ka tel

Thanks much AB.

Best
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Moin,

Linseed oil will be a poor choice as a wood finish.It will never dry.Ok,it will but in a couple of years.

Most of the oil based finishes sold abroad use Tung oil.They have driers added to them to enable the finish to...well dry out.Birchwood casey made Tru Oil is not a traditional oil finish more like an oil based varnish.Those traditional oil finishes had some nasty stuff in them.Search for 'Slackum oil'.

You would be better off using a modern wood finish.Something like a water based PU finish would be easy to apply and not stink.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:31 pm

[quote="Moin."]
I've read about using Linseed Oil and wax to finish wood. Can the Linseed oil available at local kirana shops be used for this purpose and the wax used by wood polishers to fill in dents in veneer and wood be used for this purpose. Pardon my ignorance, what is the local hindi term for linseed oil.

Don't want to spend on BirchWood Casey's expensive gun stcok finishing oil and teh hassle to try and source it.

> The local Hindi term for Linseed is "ALSI"
> Better buy the oil from a hardware store.
Briha

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:26 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:Moin,

Linseed oil will be a poor choice as a wood finish.It will never dry.Ok,it will but in a couple of years.

Most of the oil based finishes sold abroad use Tung oil.They have driers added to them to enable the finish to...well dry out.Birchwood casey made Tru Oil is not a traditional oil finish more like an oil based varnish.Those traditional oil finishes had some nasty stuff in them.Search for 'Slackum oil'.

You would be better off using a modern wood finish.Something like a water based PU finish would be easy to apply and not stink.
Thanks Winnie, had a few woodenscales for a few knives that I was working on and thought to finish them in the traditional way rather than getting a PU coating done.

The formula for Slackum Oil's intersting, this one iS from a website which says was used to finish Purdey's Stock.

Boiled linseed oil – 16 oz
Spirits of turpentine – 2 oz
Carnauba wax – 200 gr
Venice turpentine - 2 teaspoonfuls
Mix together and heat until it simmers. Simmer for ten minutes then allow to cool.

So then what would be the best way to finish wood in the traditional way with easily available materials then.

Thanks Again
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:28 pm

brihacharan wrote:
Moin. wrote: I've read about using Linseed Oil and wax to finish wood. Can the Linseed oil available at local kirana shops be used for this purpose and the wax used by wood polishers to fill in dents in veneer and wood be used for this purpose. Pardon my ignorance, what is the local hindi term for linseed oil.

Don't want to spend on BirchWood Casey's expensive gun stcok finishing oil and teh hassle to try and source it.

> The local Hindi term for Linseed is "ALSI"
> Better buy the oil from a hardware store.
Briha

Thanks Brihaji, have you tried this before ?

Regards
Moin.

Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pritu79 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 am

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Pritu79,

Looking really pretty! :clap: :clap:

Have you/ your friend taken her out and shot her yet? How does she handle with the new stock?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Moin. wrote: .
Thanks Brihaji, have you tried this before ?

Regards
Moin.
> Yes I've.
> My recipe is:
1. 150ml Linseed Oil
2. 50ml Turpentine
3. 50ml Neem Oil
> Mix well & warm it a bit & apply
> Final finish - I used Carnoba Wax
> You can see the finish on my earlier posts.
Briha

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Pritu79 wrote: Charlin action inletting is a pain.....but i am happy with the out come.

cheers..

Amen! to that one. Now that you have gained the experience, would you like to restock mine? :mrgreen:
It's a job I have been putting off forever. (But she needs new barrels as well.)

You did a beautiful job!

Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pritu79 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Thank you......
I am planing on firing a few rounds through it this weekend, so that i could give it a final tightening torque. which will make sure that the action is tight enough rather one with the stock. will also get to see how it aligns in actual, i am dead sure its a perfect fit. will post the results.... :D

cheers..

Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pritu79 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:43 am

Hi...all
mundare the charlin after re-stocking it handles/mounts real good, atleast for now until i try it for actual results.......though to be honest i am quiet confident it will be dead on, earlier it used to slam the cheek and had a bit of muzzle rise on the company stock which i have tried to rectify on the new stock by changing the dimensions and design. Untill actully tested cannot for sure comment what changes helps improve a charlin.
Towrivers i have got decent experience on a charlin now, from this projects and will surely give you a few pointers on saving your effort and time. because if you have the right approach things are less complicated......any ways go ahead with your project and whats wrong with your barrel.

Sathieshkumar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Sathieshkumar » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:32 am

very good job..... :cheers:

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:36 am

great job pritu.. I can imagine the difficulty of doing a 2 piece stock and wow! the inletting with this particular type of gun.. simply amazing! Walnut would be a mite easier to work on than some of the hard woods that I have been using recently. For the finishing try using raw Tung Oil.. It does wonders!
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:51 am

Pritu,

That blank had a beautiful figure and it was clearly visible back then, the striations can be accentuated if you use an alkanet-based stain, I make mine in small batches and it really works wonders as far as adding depth and highlighting the figure are concerned. BLO (boiled linseed oil) takes a month of Sundays to dry out and you would have to use a japaning agent like cobalt to dry it out completely, it also yellows over time. I personally use tung oil for hand-rubbed finishes and it gives beautiful results each time, bringing out the natural color of the wood you're working with, over the years you realise that it is difficult to use the same technique to an assortment of woods, each type takes on its finish differently and you eventually learn to 'read' the surface and make necessary changes through the process, if needed. I would suggest you go the long and painful way and do a classic hand-rubbed oil finish to this stock, followed by a few dozen rub-downs with good old rottenstone! :mrgreen: Given the care, planning and attention to detail you have delegated here, it truly deserves a finish done the forgotten way!

Cheers!
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)