Linseed oil

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Linseed oil

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Nice one Mark, learned a new one today! Thanks for sharing.

also Timmy... full agreement on the Linspeed brand... It is indeed very good and I certainly think it's much better than Tru-oil which almost feels like PU varnish. The only problem is the spotty availability and the problems in securing a healthy and regular supply for my work...which is why I depend on locally available LO...er BLO (?) that I bum off the local police armory. I've stashed it up in liters so that's going to last me donkeys years.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:57 am

What an interesting thread - I am soaking it all up, avidly! :D

Thank you all for your input gentlemen!

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:52 am

Well here I am still on my tablet, it is nice they are so portable but they are sure a bother to type on without the keyboard!

I made this one almost exclusively by hand, I did profile the blade a bit on a grinder but that was about it. I shaped the handle with a wood rasp and when it was how I wanted it I cleaned it up first with 80 grit sandpaper, then 120 grit and finally 220 grit sandpaper. After the 220 grit I gave it a light rubdown with a damp rag and applied the superglue directly from the tube, and spread it around by hand. After it was dry I gave it a light buffing with fine steel wool and called it good. I could have applied a wax after the rubbing but it was not needed.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:31 pm

:shock: Woo Hoo - nice finish, lovely flowing shape, ergonomic - Mark!

I think the copper pins and (superglue) sealed handle add panache to, what started out to be a simple work (rope) knife and took it to beyond the realms of just a simple tool. I must say, you have given the knife a look of antiquity say, perhaps from your Scottish Village? ;-)

Very nice, indeed, Mark! :D

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:20 pm

It would fit in there rather nicely, style wise, hadn't thought of that CK!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:41 am

Nice patch knife, Mark. Have to try that superglue trick on some pistol grips.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:16 am

Boiled linseed oil is boiled linseed oil ..... except that a lot of modern `boiled` linseed oil contains linseed oil ( probably boiled ) solvents and driers. Boiled linseed oil takes longer to dry than oil that hasn`t been boiled because it`s thicker. I was always wary about using unboiled linseed oil because of worries about the water content and because it can develop black mould but I was assured recently that unboiled linseed oil is better for stock finishing. It DOES take a heck of a lot of coats and never develops a `High` finish but builds up over time. If time is not a concern, then the finish - on a gunstock - is rather pleasant ...... and gets better and better. Using the heel of the hand to rub the oil in and generate some heat helps create a little more gloss and seems to speed up the drying.
My oldest son hated me treating his cricket bats with linseed oil because they went yellow ...... but an oiled bat would last a whole season.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )