Creating Grip for Steyr LP 10

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Creating Grip for Steyr LP 10

Post by to_saptarshi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Hello Fellow IFGians,
I have medium hand with small fingers , hence reaching trigger while keeping web in full contact seems to be little tough for me in my Steyr LP10. I cannot remove woods from web area to push my hand forward since they have very less material there, so I decided to retain original factory grip ( Created by Morini) and create a fresh one that suits my hand. I already identified block of wood suitable for this job, but not sure how to proceed with it.
1. Do I make a mould of my grip with some available quick dry dough type component and the copy it in wood block
2. Or Copy the existing grip first and the gradually remove material till it comes a perfect fit
Grip modification area identified as below
1. Grip needs to be little thin in compare to Factory Provided Morini Grip (Medium Size)
2. Web area should be move forward (6-7 mm) so that I can reach trigger blade easily and squeeze it instead of pulling
3. I am using 7 Degree angle grip which is fine and should be same in new one
4. Middle , Ring and Little finger should cover and reach till other side properly , now they are not embracing the grip properly and If I try to do that resulting a gap in palm contacting area and poor support with Palm rest.
Any pointer, guidance , instructions will be of great help and highly appreciated.
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

For Advertising mail webmaster
tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Creating Grip for Steyr LP 10

Post by tirpassion » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:48 pm

Dear Saptarshi,
please do not fiddle with the grip. Pls take my word. I had worked on, over worked on, destroyed 2 grips to understand that the best grip of Steyr is the original one :D . I am finally with my 3rd grip also on my Hämmerli AP40. I had seen your grip and we had also worked on the gripping yesterday. I would suggest you to stay there only. If needed, we will also see to it next Sunday. The grip is a very sensitive thing. It is only possible to make a match grip after years and years of experience. While waiting for that experience, please confide in the more experienced ones who made the grip or in the less experienced ones who learnt the harder way like tirpassion :D .

best regards
tirpassion

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:02 pm

Aye Aye Captain . Will follow your suggestion :D
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:51 pm

If needed, we will also see to it next Sunday
Its decided then. We will be making a pair of grips for Spatarshi when we meet :wink: :wink:

:cheers:

TC

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Dear to_saptarshi
Which wood do/ did you plan to use for the grip ?

Dear tirpassion,
Just curious ! Filing in the date for future use. ;-)

regs
A.