shotgun storage and care.

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

shotgun storage and care.

Post by shooter » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:50 pm

could my fellow members advice me about caring for my love- my shotgun.
i have a breakdown safe.
can you please clarify if i should store the stock in butt up position to avoid oit trickling in the wood?
does the direction of storage affect barrells?
is it advisable to store ang carry a gun broken/ disassembled?

how often does one need to oil/ lube the action?
how to do it?

what is the proper way to clean the barrels after firing?

does an unfired gun need cleaning (the barrels?under what circumstances?

thanks
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:44 pm

Rustaaaaaaaam!

C'mon reply, top lurking. ;-)

My answer is based more upon the TLC i give my .22 and the limited experience I have with other people's shotguns.

I normally coat my .22 lightly with lithium grease to prevent rust. I inspect it more often during moist weather. Mine stays assembled for home defense reasons. A .22'S barrel doesn't need too much cleaning but since I use KF ammo I clean it after fifty cartridges. Your shotgun should do fine in two pieces since you must have a case. Wrap the stock in polythene (cling wrap) if you want to protect it from oils.
From what I know of shotties you must clean em the moment you're done shooting them. I have cleaned my uncles one with liberal dosage of wd 40 and labouring with a pull through. I also lightly grease the metal if I am putting it away for a while.

Russsssssstaaaaaaaaaam c'mon ;-)

regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: shotgun storage and care.

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:49 pm

Rustaaaaaaaam!

C'mon reply, top lurking.
I keep the website open on the computer but am not always at my desk. ;) That should keep you chaps on your toes and best behaviour. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:07 pm

i have a breakdown safe.
What the dickens is that?
can you please clarify if i should store the stock in butt up position to avoid oit trickling in the wood?
That is the recommended procedure. I have also read an article about an old range in Austria where they store guns horizontally in large drawers.

You could always use a gun oil such as Balistol, Brunox or Napier Gun oil as these do not have a detrimental effect on the wood.
does the direction of storage affect barrells?
As in, "will they get magnetised if I align the muzzle with the north?" I'll get my coat. :mrgreen:
how often does one need to oil/ lube the action? how to do it?

If you mean the internal mechanism, that's something best left to a pro or atleast until you have seen him do it and learn how.

If it's just the external bits, then you need to wipe down the metal bits with an oily rag EVERYTIME you so much as touch the gun.

Unless you are spraying a bore solvent down the tube/s, it is best not to spray or apply oil directly to any metal surface. Put some on a clean rag and then wipe the gun down.
what is the proper way to clean the barrels after firing?
Do a search as this question has been answered in a seperate thread.
does an unfired gun need cleaning (the barrels?under what circumstances?

Oils break down with time. So depending on the oil used and the period of storage, you should get into the habit of wiping off the old oil with a dry rag and re-oiling the gun.

I would also recommend removing the oil from the bore/s with a dry patch before shooting.

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:09 pm

ahhh the fabled clear thinking, this is de gyaaan man ..yes bwana I already am kneeling as I type this. ;-)

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:44 pm

thanks Mack The Knife and dev(senior),

in uk ALL guns are expected to be stored in gunsafes or cabinets.
the tall ones that can accomodate the full gun and the 'breakdown cabinets', the ones that are only 3 feet high and can hold disassembled shotguns only.

i have read the post. very informative.
but i wanted to know the steps involved. i.e. the order of brushes viz bronze, plastic, cloth .
i mean the step by step of the procedure itself.
(just like your wonderful post about the stock finish.)
do i need diff oils for diff steps/ parts?
if yes can you plz suggest.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:11 pm

Thanks for explaining the 'break-down' cabinet bit.

I am new to shotguns and will leave it to the more experienced to explain what's what lest I get something wrong.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:15 pm

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:31 pm

thanks a lot for the links Mack The Knife.
cheers.
i think we have enough info here to write a book.
so when are we publishing the first ifg press book?

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:49 pm

shooter";p="22690 wrote:could my fellow members advice me about caring for my love- my shotgun.
i have a breakdown safe.
thanks
Shooter

Which gun have you finally bought.

Sanjay

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:30 pm

sorry about the late reply sanjay.
plz check out :

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa10 ... a/shooter/

cheers.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Shooter,

That is a fine looking gun,enjoy shooting it :)

But which one :?:

Sanjay

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:03 pm

all the pics are of the browning 425.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:57 am

a silly question:

i store my shotgun after firing so that there is no strain on the pins.
i hope that is the proper way.

i have noticed that when i break my gun for the first time after assembling, there is a loud click, which is louder than subsequent clicks for loading or if i dis assemble and re assemble the gun without firing.
is that normal?

Khan_Imran
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Khan_Imran » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:59 pm

DEAR SHOOTER

Cleansing is the most essential part of owning a handgun or a shot gun With regular cleaning and care, a quality gun will last for many years.
The major step in cleaning your gun is to purchase a cleaning kit. They are available at most sporting goods stores and anywhere firearms accessories are sold. Kits are available for specific firearms, or specially designed for certain types of firearms (i.e. rifles, pistols, shotguns, etc.), but usually the best value is to purchase a Universal Cleaning kit – especially if you have more than one firearm. These kits are designed for used on almost any type of modern firearm. They come equipped with a cleaning rod, cleaning solvent, oil, cleaning patches, and “end rod accessories” (used to hold the patches on the end of the rod). In addition to these tools, an old toothbrush and plenty of old rags are also very helpful.
To start with, choose a workspace in a well-ventilated area. You will need a surface on which to work - a desk, workbench, or tabletop work well for this. Spread a large cloth over the work surface in order to protect it and your weapon. Lay out all of your cleaning equipment along with your weapon
Now is the time to make sure it is absolutely, with out a doubt, UNLOADED. This is definitely the most important step of cleaning your firearm
Your gun consists of four main parts: the frame, the grips, the barrel, and the cylinder. It is not necessary and, in most instances, not recommended to disassemble a firearm in order to clean it. Take the toothbrush and dip it into the cleaning solvent. Use it to scrub the inside of the frame and the barrel / cylinder. Use a rag to remove the loosened fouling and the solvent.
Then you should choose the proper end rod accessory, attach it to the rod, and insert a cleaning patch into it. The proper end rod accessory is usually the largest one that will easily fit into the barrel. Saturate the patch with cleaning solvent and push it slowly through the barrel. Once it comes out the other end, remove the patch.* Wipe the rod clean with a rag and insert a new patch. Saturate the patch with solvent and use it to swab the inside of the barrel back and forth a few times. Again, remove the patch and wipe the rod clean with a rag. Insert a third patch and push it through the barrel without any solvent. Repeat this process until a dry patch comes out clean.
*Note: For an enormously dirty barrel, push a solvent saturated patch through the barrel and allow the solvent to sit for several minutes. It will help to loosen the fouling.
Once a dry patch comes out clean, saturate a new patch with oil and slowly slide it through the barrel.
Finally, apply a very small amount of oil to all moving parts of the gun. INSPECT the gun to make sure it is clean and working properly. Work the action several times to make sure it works smoothly.
Hope this info works 4 u
IMRAN KHAN.........