Blueing

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Blueing

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:42 pm

Sumanngon,

Can you please tell me about 'oil bluing' that you mention.
Here, I have learnt about 3 types of bluing as follows.

1. Hot bluing. Rejected the process as it is a complicated process, as advised by other members.
2. Cold bluing. Seems to be the easiest and already tried on a couple of my swords with reasonably good results (pics posted above).
3. Rust Bluing. This I understand, gives a better and longer lasting finish. But I am unable to arrange for the chemicals used. Reason being that it is a corrosive product and shipping is an issue (as per my findings). I have picked some formulas from the internet for preparing the chemicals at home.

Kindly advise me on the 'oil bluing process' as I would like to try that out also.

Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
sumanngon
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sumanngon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Oil Bluing:
Didnt do it on my gun as it require me more experience to remove gun barrel and other parts...which Dominic of kovi shopdoes it for me. Did it on my cane sword and a DIY knife. Came out ultra cool. Small portable burners are available in many shops.

sumanngon
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sumanngon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:03 pm

However on knife I do mostly vinegar/onion patina. Wonderful patterns you get without making it toxic with cold blueing solution...especially birchwood casey stuff. All my knives are funtional and are used, so cant afford toxic stuff on it and the factory coated black coating has given me trouble striking my flint rod. So I strip the coating and patinate it.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:21 pm

Sumanngon,

I went through the link you sent and did some more research. I found it to be quite simple and expect a wonderful finish. I have the equipment including blow torches in my home workshop, so I can easily try it out and post results. The only issue I see is the life span of this kind of finish.
Thanks for introducing an unknown (for me) process.

Regards

sumanngon
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sumanngon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:47 pm

You are more than welcome!

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:55 pm

(y)

Kindly give a link to the other method of Vinegar and onion patina, if possible.

Regards

sumanngon
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sumanngon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:38 am

Using Mustard and Vinegar to patina a knife:
Have fun!

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:50 am

Thanks got it. But this seems suitable for knives only.

Regards

sumanngon
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sumanngon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:46 am

I do it only for my knives.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri May 29, 2015 3:59 pm

A question please,
I have a .22 IOF revolver that I learnt from this forum is powder coated. It has a black shiny finish. Now it has started showing 'holster wear' on the end of the barrel and leading edge of the cylinder. Also the coating is coming off in the area where the cylinder locks.

How do I touch it up?? I was thinking of bluing it, will that be suitable??

Regards

Atul

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri May 29, 2015 5:01 pm

aadhaulya wrote:A question please,
I have a .22 IOF revolver that I learnt from this forum is powder coated. It has a black shiny finish. Now it has started showing 'holster wear' on the end of the barrel and leading edge of the cylinder. Also the coating is coming off in the area where the cylinder locks.

How do I touch it up?? I was thinking of bluing it, will that be suitable??

Regards

Atul
1. Use emery cloth to gently clean the affected surface...
2. Degrease the area by applying 'surgical spirit' (available at all chemists) with cotton or soft cloth...
3. Apply 2 coats of 'Ballistol' bluing solution....
4. Apply a light coat of machine oil...
Briha

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri May 29, 2015 5:21 pm

Briha ji,

Thanks for the input after your advise last time I have all the material at home. I was wondering if bluing touch up would be ok for a touch up job on powder coating or will I have to the complete bluing..

Regards

Atul

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:49 am

aadhaulya wrote:Briha ji,

Thanks for the input after your advise last time I have all the material at home. I was wondering if bluing touch up would be ok for a touch up job on powder coating or will I have to the complete bluing..
Regards
Atul
Powder coating has a tendency to peel off - especially if not properly done...would suggest complete removal of powder coating....
Sand the surface gently with 100, 200 & 400 grit sand paper (in that sequence) & finally a good rub with steel wool...
After this rub the sanded surface with 'surgical spirit' (available at all chemists) to degrease the surface....
Apply 2 coats of Ballistol - allow to dry for a few minutes & apply a light coat of any light machine oil...
Briha

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks Briha ji, will attempt to do just that.

Regards

Atul

chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chengis gun » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:12 pm

feedback: I got the do-it-yourself bluing solution and grease cleaner from Ballistol advertised in this site.The company is very professional..prompt,replies every mail,and when the courier company they used could not deliver to my remote location ,they sent it again via Speedpost at their own cost.The solution being rather thin and watery i used my index finger to wet the metal after loosing patience with a swab.Well,that part lost sensation promptly and now one month removed it is still slightly numbed..so avoid skin contact :) But the result is satisfactory and saves a load of money