Rusting on Barrel Precihole Orion

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Rusting on Barrel Precihole Orion

Post by nevil » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi I had purchased a Orion ( Precihole ) air rifle from Delhi about six months back and was practicing with it on a regular basis . I had not used the gun for about twenty days and was surprised to see many rust marks on the barrel . I usually wipe the gun with a gun oil dipped cloth and store in a polythene bag in the cupboard. My other air rifle .177 pegasus is fine and was purchased around the same time and stored in the same manner. Would really appreciate advise as to how I can restore and prevent further damage will try and post some pictures
Thanks
Nevil

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Rusting on Barrel Precihole Orion

Post by brihacharan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:19 pm

nevil wrote:Hi I had purchased a Orion ( Precihole ) air rifle from Delhi about six months back and was practicing with it on a regular basis . I had not used the gun for about twenty days and was surprised to see many rust marks on the barrel . I usually wipe the gun with a gun oil dipped cloth and store in a polythene bag in the cupboard. My other air rifle .177 pegasus is fine and was purchased around the same time and stored in the same manner. Would really appreciate advise as to how I can restore and prevent further damage will try and post some pictures
Thanks
Nevil
Hi Nevil,
> The one possibility I envisage on your Orion's barrel getting rust marks could be...(that although you had wiped it with cloth dipped in gun oil & stored it in a polythene bag) - that there could have been a remote possibility of humid air trapped within it which condensed due to change in the temperature of the air trapped within it causing rusting...

> To avoid this puncture a few holes in the polythene bag while storing the AR in it...
> Now to restore do the following...
1.Use a 800 grit sandpaper to remove the rust from the affected area...
1.Remove all existing oil on the affected part by wiping it with a cloth moistened with "Surgical Spirit" (this is available with all chemists)
2.Then apply "Ballistol" blueing agent (available with Ballistol online - [email protected]) leave it for 30 minutes & wipe clean with a wet cloth & apply gun oil. Its a simple & easy procedure.
Briha

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Sir thank you very much for the advice have called for the " Ballistol blueing oil " will do as advised
regards
Nevil

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:05 am

nevil wrote:Sir thank you very much for the advice have called for the " Ballistol blueing oil " will do as advised
regards
Nevil
> You are welcome...
> BTW - Its Ballistol Blueing Solution + Ballistol Oil - These are two separate products.
> All the best...
Briha

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:23 pm

oops sent for the blueing agent only will call for the oil also thanks

skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by skeetshot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:47 pm

If you have just noticed the rust on your barrel, chances are it is a light coating.

In that case, You may wish to try rubbing it off with steel wool and then simply applying oil

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks skeetshot but there is a bit of pitting on the barrel I called the company and informed them because its still in the guarantee period spoke to the lady and she was very helpful . Don't want any further damage will try your suggestion till the ballistol arrives

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:37 pm

DSC00501.JPG
Hi just posting some pictures for reference
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by skeetshot » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:22 pm

I would not worry too much about this.

It looks like a light surface rust caused by someone's acidic hand print.

Use steel wool and Ballistol and rub it off and maintain your surface with a regular light coating of oil.

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:02 am

Noted thanks