HELP REQUIRED IOF 30.06 RIFLE (SOLVED)

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

HELP REQUIRED IOF 30.06 RIFLE (SOLVED)

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi Friends,

I though that by spending time on the internet (including this forum), I have become an expert on guns but :stupid:. I have probably screwed up my IOF 30.06 rifle.
I NEED HELP FROM THE FORUM MEMBERS (Shouting)

I will explain what happened and hope that you guys can help me and avoid a gunsmith bill that would be very expensive I suppose.

1. I removed the bolt using the trick I picked up from this forum, hoping to learn the dismantling of the bolt itself.
2. The bolt has a black rear end and this black portion has a rectangular metal piece stinking out of the bottom of the bolt that is directly connected with the firing pin (I presume).
3. I tried to unscrew the rear black portion (turning it anti-clockwise). The Black part suddenly turned about 30 degrees and the firing pin has come out in the firing positio and got stuck.
4. Now it seems that I would have to turn it back to the original position before the bolt goes back into the rifle.
5. I am unable to pull back the firing pin connection with my bare hands and can't find any other way to do it.

I am attaching some photographs taken from my mobile hoping you guys may get a further idea of what happened. Please give suggestions if there is a trick/ procedure to sort out my problem. Photographs follow (though not clear).
BOLT ANOTHER ANGLE.jpg
OBSTRUCTION IN THE BOLT.jpg
Regards

]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by aadhaulya on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: HELP REQUIRED IOF 30.06 RIFLE

Post by Safarigent » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:09 pm

Go to a gun smith. Get the bolt fixed and learn how to disassemble it.

PS: I wanted to do the same after disassembling the bolt of my .22. Bad idea. That spring is under such tension that suddenly i had parts flying out all over the room! And stupid me wasnt wearing any eye protection either. I couldnt get it assembled back together and had to take it to a senior member who used machine tools to put the damn thing together.
To Excellence through Diligence.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:14 pm

Dear Safarigent, Can you suggest me the gunsmith to do the job.

Regards

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:41 am

Problem Solved
Safarigent wrote: That spring is under such tension that suddenly i had parts flying out all over the room! And stupid me wasnt wearing any eye protection either. I couldnt get it assembled back together and had to take it to a senior member who used machine tools to put the damn thing together.
@Safarigent You gave me the idea and I thought about it at night. I had turned the rear portion and brought it to the fired position in the rifle. Now I had to turn it back imitating the opening of the bolt, to pull it back to eject a used cartridge.
Since the spring tension is very high it could not be done by hand. I decided to make a fixture, like the receiver of the bolt and then turn it around. But before doing it I tried to insert the bolt back into the receiver backwards as far as it went. The black portion got safely stuck there and then I turned the bolt back. It worked and the bolt is working fine now.

Regards

PS: I think I should do some 'Gunsmith' course before I start to screw around with my guns again. Wonder if there is some school in India for this

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: HELP REQUIRED IOF 30.06 RIFLE (SOLVED)

Post by Safarigent » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:23 pm

No courses here....
To Excellence through Diligence.

UDAYANJADHAV
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: HELP REQUIRED IOF 30.06 RIFLE (SOLVED)

Post by UDAYANJADHAV » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:50 pm

I know this thread is quite old but still would like to add something which can be useful for others. When the bolt is out of the gun and spring tension is released, the only thing needed to get it back in tension is a boot with strong lace. Wear your shoes and eye protection before doing this. Make sure the lace is strong. Just hinge the cocking cam(rectangular metal piece sticking out of the bottom of the cocking piece) in shoe lace and pull the bolt, this will give you enough leverage to cock it back. It's a very basic technique which was taught to me by my father for places where tools are not available.