I fancy a shotgun case...

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:54 pm

GasramGandu";p="29431 wrote: Dev is referring to Diamondplate, more clarity here.

http://www.metalwax.com/DIAMOND%20PLATE.htm
Yessir mistah Gasram has nailed it. That is the finish, with Anupam's help we shall have the pics this weekend of the rifle case. I hab been knocked dowbn with flu, will try to get aching bones up by then.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:35 pm

Dev,

I am not buying one at the moment, so there is no hurry.

Cheers.

Mack The Knife

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: I fancy a shotgun case...

Post by art_collector » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:28 am

Hi Mack The Knife,

Just went to your profile to confirm your DOB.

Read that you are an Architect by profession. I have always been wondering what you did ever since I saw these pictures of the gun case you wish to make.....I had never seen anyone who would draw a diagram that beautifully. Have a work table that was so neat and clean..........Well got the answer now.

For me your drawings was actually a piece of art by itself . Great Work..

AC

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:09 pm

Mack The Knife,I would suggest that you use solid wood for the front and rear panells(where you would be fitting locks and handles) and plywood for the rest.This would make for a much stronger case than if you use just MDF or plywood.Would strongly suggest that you dont use MDF.The wood that would be required would not be a lot and you can use any of the local hardwoods.

biking3819
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by biking3819 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:02 pm

sir sidhu is so correct,
i had insisted even in the last post about using wood,but rusty got shocked ,and thats 'cuz wood is expensive...
i had an MDF study table and it didnt last till all the legs shaked and while moving it once a leg even broke,and MDF is quite heavy too...,may be good quality plyboard is tougher than indian wood.
just my 2 cents since this work wud def involve a lot of sweat and dedicated time.
warm regards sanjiv

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:03 pm

penpusher,

The carpentry work is over. What is pending is a combination lock for the middle and a thick canvas external covering. If I am unable to find a good combi lock, I'll ditch it and stick with the two snap locks on either side of the handle.

When I was having soft gun cases made, it took me a few cases to settle on material and design. So, if I don't like this one, I'll sell it and may have another built with revised specs and/or design.

These are all temporary measures because eventually I would like to buy a Pelikan / SKB / Americase take-down gun case for transporting the shotgun.

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:51 pm

Will be getting one made myself.Lets see how that one turns out.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:50 pm

penpusher,

Wait until I review this one, otherwise you may end up making the same mistakes and/or oversights.

Have you considered asking one of the Darlings to get you one of those aluminium 'pitaras'? :mrgreen:

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:27 pm

Mack The Knife,

Taking a shotgun out of a case and them assembling it in the field would require me to bend over :wink: So would prefer a gun sleeve when meeting the DD's :mrgreen:

Have the gun case of the Jeffery as a guide.

biking3819
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by biking3819 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:38 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="29729 wrote:
The carpentry work is over. What is pending is a combination lock for the middle and a thick canvas external covering......

Mack The Knife
any update rusty?
regards sanjiv

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:16 pm

None, Sanjiv.

The blokes busy with more important work and I am in no hurry.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:14 pm

Why on earth would you want to bend over and retrieve your shotty from its case when you meet the DD's penpusher? wont a handshake do? ;)
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:24 pm

:mrgreen:

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:23 pm

I am a proud owner of Pelican case not for shotgun but for a pair of handgun, got this from Australia ,they are built like tank and the best part is sealkit air tight machanism which prevents moisture/rusting.If any body is interested ,pictures can be posted on request.CHEERS James..

veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by veejosh » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Hi Mack The Knife,
How is the case progressing. I had made one for my rifle (an IOF one for which I had made the stock too) . The photos can be found here:

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc23 ... C00827.jpg

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc23 ... ntView.jpg

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc23 ... deView.jpg

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc23 ... opView.jpg

I had used a 3/8 inch thick board and for the inside padding thermocool was used covered with 'not so expensive' navy blue blazer cloth.Could I have views/comments on the work

Regards

Vikas