trying to zero a scope

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

trying to zero a scope

Post by cyrixoutside » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:59 am

hi,

i tried to mount and zero in a bushnell rimfire scope on my .22 krico, i used iof ammunition, i was a bit surprised by the consistent performance of the iof ammo. I could only shoot at 25 yards, due to space limitations.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg11 ... /shoot.jpg

i am presuming that the horizontal spread is due to my moving the rifle.

rajat

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:48 pm

IOF ammo is not as good as imported ammo but nevetheless it does do the job a fair bit.

Expect 1/2 inch groups with .22 LR IOF ammo at 50 yards.

At 75 yards it will be more like 1 inch.

At 100 yards it will open a lot more to about 3 1/2 inch. But the effective range is maximum 70 to 75 yards.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:02 pm

I guess a corret method for such a grouping would be the use of a rifle bench rest which would then permit firing a rifle with min disturbanceand from a fixed mounting.havent seen one myself.any suggestions of such a device here or else how do you carry out such precision shooting

shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:22 pm

Bench rest and fixed mount of course is the best, however even a steady hand rest and focused relaxed shooting on a proper range at 10m, 25 m and then finally at 50 m will give a fair bit of indication of the performance.

10 m is to zero the scope first and then move on. Most scopes alter 1/4 inch at 100 yards.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: trying to zero a scope

Post by Grumpy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:39 pm

The quickest way to zero a scope is to clamp the rifle in a gun vice, ( I won`t use the American `vise` spelling as Mack The Knife will tell me off ! :wink: :lol: ) to set the crosshairs on the centre of the target, let off one shot and then, without moving the rifle, to reset the scope to centre on the hole left in the target from the shot already taken.
Hey ho - immediate zero.
Sounds far too easy but it works !

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:55 pm

I won`t use the American `vise` spelling as Mack The Knife will tell me off !
Hehehe...

There are just a couple of points I would like to add to what Grumpy has said...

1) If your mounts have eleation and windage adjustments, then use that and only use the scope's adjustments for final fine tuning. Do not use the scope's adjustments to their extreme limits because the recoil could damage the reticle.

2) Tap your turrets with your finger or something else LIGHTLY because most cheap and mid-range scopes do not track immidiately and either require a few taps or the recoil from a few shots before they settle. So shoot a confirmation shot or two before making the next adjustment, if needed.

Also, if your rifle shoots its first shot from a cold barrel slightly away from your actual zero, then you should fire another and use that as your actual aiming mark as described by Grumpy.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:49 pm

Good points Dodger.
The matter of the point of aim from a cold barrel being different than when warm should be noted.......except when zeroing a scope for hunting purposes when it is invariably the case that a single shot is fired from a cold barrel.
If bunny hunting however or for target use, the barrel should have a few shots put through it in order to warm it up.

ABABUJAY
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Zeoring my airgun scope

Post by ABABUJAY » Thu May 15, 2008 12:22 am

hi guys,

recently i fixed my diana 54 with a scope (4-9x50), my question is, is it possible to zero within 30 feet cos thats the maximum diamension of my appartment. and with wat magnification should i do that?
plzz suggest
regards
babu

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Thu May 15, 2008 9:01 am

HI Babu.
30 feet, which is about 10m should be OK. But why dont you try zeroing elsewhere... a range close by, a friend's farmland, etc...
I would suggest you try 10m, 15m and 25m. That way, you will understand your scope bettter. And this zeroing will primarily matter on what distance you practice more. Zero the scope to that distance and should sail well.
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Zafar
Almost at nirvana