Gun Bluing

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Gun Bluing

Post by shooter50 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:40 pm

Any place in India where Gun Bluing solutions/salts are available

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:45 pm

shooter50";p="35022 wrote: Any place in India where Gun Bluing solutions/salts are available
There were 1 or 2 posts offering quick bluing tubes for sale here (in the for sale section)... try contacting the posters via PM...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Gun Bluing

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:00 am

shooter50";p="35022 wrote:Any place in India where Gun Bluing solutions/salts are available
Unless you plan to take up bluing and gun/metal finishing as money earner, going the salts/solution way is going to be a messy and expensive affair. Don't forget, you need burners gas or electric, tanks large enough to hold at least a full length barrel or several, proper means to regulate temperatures, dangerous caustic or caustic and even volatile chemicals.

As suggested, if you are simply trying to re-blue your personal gun, you could try the proprietary instant bluing solutions. They are not terribly expensive and at most require a bit of clean steel wool and some clean hot water for rinsing. If the result is not what you like you could simple get a gun-house to blue it for you.

regards,
cc

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:35 pm

What about the old fashioned rust bluing? I am told thats what the police forces do and maybe call it browning

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:02 pm

What the police forces and the ordnance people do is to slap globs of enamel/duco paint on the rifles/machineguns and powder coat the 9mm carbines .

Bluing is not exactly blue and ranges in shades from blackish blue to almost black .Browning is brown.Damascus barrels were browned.However sometimes bluing, which is not exactly blue, is also called browning.Then there is nitre bluing.I hope this clarifies your doubts :lol:

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:51 pm

shooter50";p="35092 wrote:What about the old fashioned rust bluing? I am told thats what the police forces do and maybe call it browning
Actually, what info you have about the police is true. But alas the days are long gone. My dad as a young IPS jock in in the 60's Dergaon Dist. (Assam) actually had such a set up under his charge. It was rust bluing alright - Not browning.

Browning belongs to the musket era, though its still done and has its own charm. The confusion is because British terminology often generalized rust bluing as browning (Grumpy can correct me here). The processes are generally similar other than the chemical composition.

The police, sadly , as I know, now don't have the time or mental capacity to do such things... a pity. As penpusher mentioned, its simply gobs of paint nowadays.

I personally feel a 10 day rust blue is second to none.