Bluing the .32 Ashani

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:37 pm

Hi CC,

Thanks for posting the blueing process..........very meticulously presented.

One query........how does this process rate durability wise to the 10 days rust blue process?

Thanks and Regards,

Vinayaka
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

For Advertising mail webmaster
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:18 pm

Another bit of advice needed , if comparison is done between the above bluing process and nickling done by a professional ,what could be better option keeping in mind parameters like ,rusting,maintanence of pistol,nickle vs bluing life ect.Cheers James..
James, if you'd been keeping track of the threads, some time back I had a light hearted argument with Rudra about nickel plating and bluing. It boiled down to this:

1. Bluing inhibits but does not prevent rust. It certainly is not weather proof. It however has no equal as regards aesthetic value. May sound silly but thats one reason why blue still exists amid numerous inventions in finishing technology.
2. Bluing thus, will require regular maintenance. Well I enjoy cleaning my guns and others too.
3. Nickel plating certainly prevents rust by physically shielding the base metal with a layer of inert(ish) nickel.
4. I think nickel makes a gun look cheap and ugly. Its time was in the 80's... I think the fad has faded though not disappeared.
5. Poorly done nickel plating will flake off or develop rust pockets underneath the plating- They remain invisible until its too late and damage has been done. With bluing, you notice any rust immediately.

Any bluing will wear off in time- but to me and many others a gently worn blue on a gun thats been well used but not abused is what makes a gun seem 'honest'

If rust protection and maintanence is important, professionally done nickel plating is advisable in spite of the...ugh...horrid appearance :)

Electroless Nickel plating produces a more even coating than electroplating.

By the way, anyone shed some light on DIY electroless? I've not attempted it yet since getting the chemicals from brownells into the country would be an insane exercise I believe.

hellfire_m16";p="37350 wrote:Hi CC,

Thanks for posting the blueing process..........very meticulously presented.

One query........how does this process rate durability wise to the 10 days rust blue process?

Thanks and Regards,

Vinayaka
Vinayaka,

as I'd mentioned somewhere along the drivel, the hot caustic blue with minor variations is the most common blue finish in the gun industry today. It has been so for quite a long time.

This is largely because the process is relatively quick for overheads conscious factories. It also takes the texture of the base metal very well- If the base metal is sandblasted to a matte finish- The blue will be matte. If the base metal is polished and buffed to a blinding mirror finish the blue will faithfully reproduce the finish in blue-black.

It is however a very light and thin finish and while it is pretty durable(very) it will eventually wear with time and weather.

We also dare not use this process on older Double Barrels as the caustic solution will attack the solder that holds the barrels together and...you'd end up with two separate barrels floating up.

10 Day Rust Blue on the other hand is very time consuming. Certainly not a wise expedient for factories. Thus it is less common. The good thing is it is a gentle process...and less hazardous since you're only dealing with boiling water. Most older guns including doubles were blued by this process. The process is actually a very controlled rusting process and the finish derived is not mirror but a deep and lustrous satin black finish. I cant think of a lovelier finish.

It is certainly very durable. The 'coating' that develops after 10 days of application, boiling and carding ought to give a clue to its durability. I'd once rust blued an SBBL and had to do a soldering job on the barrel. I had to reblue it. I must say it took quite an effort (even with sandpaper) to get the finish off!

regards,
cc
Last edited by cottage cheese on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:07 am

CC,

Thanks for the reply.......I am totally with you when it comes to the rust blueing finish i simply love the finish and the durability.

My Ex-Krico(I have posted the picture in the rifle section) was re- blued by my dads unit armourer(seven coats was standard army blueing I believe)and the rifle has seen a lot of use and the blueing is still pretty good.

Many thanks for the reply,

Vinayaka
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:18 am

Thanks CC

Best