Tips required-For re-blueing my Diana Mark-IV Air Pistol

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Tips required-For re-blueing my Diana Mark-IV Air Pistol

Post by hellfire_m16 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:08 am

Hi,

Guys this air pistol was handed down to me by my old man bought by him brand new for Rs.75/- 50 years ago.

Couple of years back (5-7 years) I stripped the air pistol to do it up completely but have been chronically procrasting :( because of the metal preparation.

Have tried getting of the rust using fine water wetable emery paper soaked in oil but have not been succesful in getting off the rust from the nooks and coners so by blueing ends up catching rust again.

Have tried a local rust remover(came in a metal tin)picked up from the local hardware store.........but was not off much help.

After getting hooked to IFG this is one DIY project I want too complete since its more than about time.

I was planning to use the electrolysis process mentioned on the forum........inputs would be appreciated.

Actually I want to get the airpistol into good working condition and have it as a keep sake.

Plan on doing the butt back to its original Walnut finish using Mack The Knife's stock oil finishing inputs.

Would appreciate tips on how to get the rust off completely.

Thanks in advance,

Vinayaka

"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:15 am

Use Birchwood Casey rust remover or CRC Rust Remover. Be very careful whilst using the latter as there is a lot of sulphuric acid in the mixture and it will burn like the dickens. Follow the instructions on the bottle. Gloves are mandatory.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Tips required-For re-blueing my Diana Mark-IV Air Pistol

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:03 am

hellfire_m16";p="37909 wrote: Have tried getting of the rust using fine water wetable emery paper soaked in oil but have not been succesful in getting off the rust from the nooks and coners so by blueing ends up catching rust again.
Unless its far too gone, you should try not to use abrasives too much because they remove metal. and you could lose crucial tolerances and also give the gun a very worn and tired appearance.

As Mack The Knife suggested, use B&C or CRC. These will get the rust off and also the old blue off in no time and get the metal down to white finish. Use the abrasives only to smoothen out prominent scratches, or unsightly marks.
Have tried a local rust remover(came in a metal tin)picked up from the local hardware store.........but was not off much help.
Local rust removers are not really what they claim- They are usually oil based and are actually meant only to penetrate and soften rust and- they do not remove rust or offer any chemical action for the same.
I was planning to use the electrolysis process mentioned on the forum........inputs would be appreciated.
Don't bother with the electrolysis- It may turn to be more trouble than simply using B&C rust remover.

Regards,
cc

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:02 pm

one of the springs in the lowe left section looks awfully mangled...have you tried immersing affected parts in RUSTLICK?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:14 pm

Mack The Knife and CC thanks for the tips.

Any clues as to where I can procure BC/CRC rust remover in India?

Eljefe....the mangeled spring is from a lock which I tried to use.

Thanks and Regards,

Vinayaka
-Chuck Norris

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:02 pm

Vinayaka,

Since you sold a bit of BC cold blue on the board I was wondering if you had a source for BC products. Failing which try a gun shop. CRC Rust Remover is available from hardware shops. Use a stiff toothbrush to remove rust near edges but be very careful about not splattering your hands, face and especially your eyes with the solution.

In case you are unable to find either, I can lend you a bottle of Birchwood Casey Blue & Rust Remover but only for this project.

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:21 pm

Mack The Knife I got hold of my first cold blue about 12 years ago and till about 3 years back was hoarding on gun blue.......by means of pestering relatives comming back form the US,Uk........but the source seems to have dried out :(

Thanks for the generous offer.........do appreciate it.

I did a google search on CRC and like you rightly mentioned its available freely in India.........so thought might as well give the desi stuff a shot first.

Many Thanks and Regards,

Vinayaka
-Chuck Norris

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:50 pm

...and for those with a DIY streak, if you don't mind some basic chemistry, try this basic non toxic rust remover:
May I remind you that this is not my original formula - I'd stumbled across it some years back.

1 lit water
50 gm citric acid
add some ammonia 25%,solution pH must be 3,5! (80 C temp., cold solution works too,but slow).

You can immerse parts in solution (30 minutes to 8 hours-it depends on thickness of rust).

If that is problem you can mix it with agar-agar, gelatin or cellulose wallpaper glue or thick gel and use it on rusty points. Rinse well!

Regards,
cc

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:01 pm

will give it a try CC.......thanks
-Chuck Norris