.32 IOF revolver misfiring

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
mittu_in
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mittu_in » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:07 am

Hi all,
My IOF Revolver is troubling me a lot. After firing 2-3 rounds the next round misses leaving a very light hit mark on the backside of bullet. The trigger get very light after 2-3 shots which causes missing. Please explain me what is the problem and how to solve it. Please share your exp. regarding this problem.
Regards
Mittu

For Advertising mail webmaster
mittu_in
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mittu_in » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:08 am

Its 2004 MK-1

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: IOF .32 revolver

Post by msandhu » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:27 am

I am no pro but the these might be few of the common reasons for misfires with revolver are
1) poor quality bullets
2) firing pin not hitting the primer or not hitting it with enough force to fire.

There and many knowledgeable people here who can give a more detailed and better answers
Cheers
MSandhu

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:04 am

The trigger gets light and it misfires - I'm no expert either but it sure sounds like the revolver's mainspring is a goner.

Having it replaced by a gunsmith should be a matter of a few hundred rupees at most...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:59 pm

mundaire";p="39127 wrote:The trigger gets light and it misfires - I'm no expert either but it sure sounds like the revolver's mainspring is a goner.

Having it replaced by a gunsmith should be a matter of a few hundred rupees at most...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Abhijeet(Or anyone),

I never actually bothered to check... does the IOF .32 rev have a flat or coil spring?

regards,
cc

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:39 pm

cottage cheese";p="39191 wrote: Abhijeet(Or anyone),

I never actually bothered to check... does the IOF .32 rev have a flat or coil spring?

regards,
cc
Never had the opportunity to see one being opened up, but considering the fact that it's a copy of the Enfield, the mainspring should be a flat spring...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:43 pm

Thread split into a separate one in the Gunsmithing/ Gun care section....

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: .32 IOF revolver misfiring

Post by Grumpy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:38 am

Yes, agreed. There are really only two things that could have caused this situation - a soft/broken spring or a broken firing pin - however as you say that the trigger pull has become very light it suggests that Abhijeet is absolutely correct in suggesting that the proble lies with the spring.
I would be interested in learning the condition of the spring when you get it checked out as a broken spring could be just plain bad luck BUT a spring that has gone `soft` indicates that it was incorrectly tempered.
It should be a quick and inexpensive fault to remedy.

pokhar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re:

Post by pokhar » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:34 pm

mittu_in wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:07 am
Hi all,
My IOF Revolver is troubling me a lot. After firing 2-3 rounds the next round misses leaving a very light hit mark on the backside of bullet. The trigger get very light after 2-3 shots which causes missing. Please explain me what is the problem and how to solve it. Please share your exp. regarding this problem.
Regards
Mittu
Hi mittu_in,
Trust you are doing well. Just exploring the topic of iof revolver misfire, I know it's a old thread still could you please conclude if you have found the solution of the problem. It will help to all members to understand the actual cause and solutions.
Regards

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: .32 IOF revolver misfiring

Post by shooter50 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:15 pm

Check the mainspring, Abhijit and Grumpy are absolutely correct. Best to replace it rather than restore the temper.