Dent in the barrel

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Dent in the barrel

Post by Happy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:22 am

Hey Gurus,
Need yor advice, A friend of mine has a 12 GA gun and the choke barrel has a dent of approximately 0.5mm dent in it, probably due to a fall. Somebody advised him to fire a ball through it and that will take care of it and there wont be a problem and it will staighten it out. When this was brought to my notice i asked him to hang on until i have discussed this with my friends and gurus on the forum. So friends, gurus what does your experience say. The dent is about 12" before the barrel ends, not from the loading end but the other end.
Regards.
Happy.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dent in the barrel

Post by Mark » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:02 pm

As you suspect, firing ball through it might possibly destroy it. There are tools made for raising dents in shotgun barrels. I would suggest asking some local gunsmiths to find one qualified to fix the dent.

Perhaps somebody here on the forum can suggest someone.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:39 pm

Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Thanks Mack The Knife, Mark.
will inform my friend accordingly and see if the gunsmiths this side of the town have any dent removing equipment.
Regards.
Happy.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:51 pm

If I am not mistaken (Mark please confirm), the same machinery is used in the auto industry as well. So, if the gunsmiths don't have it, he can look elsewhere.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:53 pm

Mack The Knife where in the auto industry is this used, i mean to do what sort of a job?

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:55 pm

Happy,

Find some one with a hydraulic dent raiser.One dent should not take more than a couple of minutes to raise.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:02 pm

Happy";p="40316 wrote:Mack The Knife where in the auto industry is this used, i mean to do what sort of a job?
As the name suggests it is used to remove dents. Haven't seen it in use but I was told that a rod is first soldered to the dented part as part of the process. Mark is a professor of automotive engineering, so wait for his confirmation or clarifications.

Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:06 pm

Mack The Knife one of my friend has a garage and i have seen them removing dents in the body by welding a rod to the body, but the thickness of the body if compared to the barrel is much lesser hence it is easier to remove the dent by that way from a automobile but a gun barrel, i have my own apprehensions. what do u say penpusher?

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:13 pm

Welding a rod to the dented part to pull out the metal would work in case of a car.Would certainly destroy the shotgun.

As I said earlier,find some one with a hydraulic dent raiser.It is designed for this sort of work and if done well,you would not even be able to make out where the dent was.It is this one here

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... T%20RAISER

Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Thats just great penpusher but do gunsmiths in India have these.I dont know about Pune will enquire and if it is available then it will truely be a job of just a few minutes.
Thanks

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:20 pm

I know of only one who has it and he is here at Patiala

Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:25 pm

How far is Patiala from Jalandhar by road ....just in case.... :roll:

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:34 pm

Happy";p="40326 wrote:How far is Patiala from Jalandhar by road ....just in case.... :roll:
Irrespective of the distance,it would be worth the drive,to get the job done by a competent gunsmith.

Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:38 pm

what u say is quite true sanjay, but again those 'BUTs' and 'IFs' are involved as we would have to arrange for a TL from Pune to Punjab, will try over here if possible if not then will do some thing about it.
Thanks.
Regards
Happy.