How to protect Guns from rusting in the monsoons ?

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

How to protect Guns from rusting in the monsoons ?

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:47 am

Hello Guru's

The rains are here in Mumbai and to prevent rusting on my guns I separated the stock and coated all the exposed metal parts with a thin coat of oil. The guns are stored in long plastic bags. I am wondering what about the barrel. How do you protect the bore and rifling from rusting ?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Manish

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:06 pm

Wipe down the metal parts with an oily rag everytime they are touched.

For the bore, pull an oiled patch through the bore.

Different gun oils / rust preventives protect metal against rust for different periods, so be sure to oil the metal bits as and when required.

Rather than seal the guns in plastic bags, it would be better if they were allowed to 'breathe'.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi Mack The Knife,

Thanks for the tips. Regarding the oil patch. What is this ? can you upload a pic, any particular place where I can buy it ? how about a small piece of rag tied around an umbrella wire (its stiff, thin and long) to do the job ? Please let me know.

Rgds

Manish
Mack The Knife Bana";p="45284 wrote:Wipe down the metal parts with an oily rag everytime they are touched.

For the bore, pull an oiled patch through the bore.

Different gun oils / rust preventives protect metal against rust for different periods, so be sure to oil the metal bits as and when required.

Rather than seal the guns in plastic bags, it would be better if they were allowed to 'breathe'.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How to protect Guns from rusting in the monsoons ?

Post by Mark » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:13 pm

For high humidity protection use wax. I like to use a paste wax.

For even tougher protection use spray paint, either clear or black.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:14 pm

You could buy ready made patches but I merely use old cotton t-shirts and the like cut to the appropriate size.

I have never used umbrella wire but I am not sure if it's long enough for rifle barrels. I was refering to a pull through rather than a cleaning rod. If you do use umbrella wire make sure it does not scratch the bore and muzzle crown.

If you do not have a branded pull through, you could use fishing line - 40 lbs. monofilament works just fine.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:26 pm

Mark";p="45288 wrote:For high humidity protection use wax. I like to use a paste wax.

For even tougher protection use spray paint, either clear or black.
There is Vaseline as well. Due to the lack of any gun oils, I had used this to protect my father-in-laws Auto-5. When I opened it after three years, the gun was fine. However, if Vaseline becomes too soft or 'runny', due to heat, it could damage a wood stock.

b.baracho
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by b.baracho » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:05 pm

guies try out G.smith Waffen-Spezialfett or Arm-o-lub they are perfect corrosion protection due to deep penetrating & water proofing properties at tropical climate. i also keep a 0 watt bulb always burning in my gun cupboard it helps in reduction of moisture .

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:22 pm

Listen to what Mark says. Wax has never failed me. It's better then any oils especially in the places with heavy humidity like Mumbai.
Marksman.
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

b.baracho
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by b.baracho » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:40 pm

wax buddy how do you get rid of it later ?

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:47 pm

I let it sit on the fire Arm till it starts weakening and then re coat it. It's a good protection all year round for me like on a car. One should buff it after a heavy coat and it adds sheen to the metal along with protection. Or else remove it with CTC or WD-40 or something like that. Simple.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

b.baracho
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by b.baracho » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:04 pm

cool i know something new today thanks,
Reg,
b.baracho

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:20 pm

I also store it in cases which have silica gel packs. Kept my .22 well for years.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:35 pm

Friends,

I use the zero watt bulb in cupboard and silica gel packets to protect my photography equipment from fungus. I was not sure if these methods would work for protection against rust for guns. But yes both are good methods to keep out moisture which is one of the main causes for formation of fungus and rust.

Manish
dev";p="45324 wrote:I also store it in cases which have silica gel packs. Kept my .22 well for years.

Dev

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:09 am

A wax coated gun can withstand rains as well if one decides to do a bit of shooting in such weather. Take care of the innards though by wiping it dry and lightly oiling it after the session. For example, Water table and breach in case of break open shotguns and magazine well in case of a bolt rifle and so on. And of course the barrel.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:40 am

Marksman,

I believe the term 'water table' is wrong. The correct term, if I recall correctly, is 'table of the action'.