Recrowning of Muzzle

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Recrowning of Muzzle

Post by snIPer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:45 pm

On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Recrowning of Muzzle

Post by penpusher » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:15 am

Another one

[youtube][/youtube]

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:03 pm

Come to think of it. Is recrowning actually necessary???
Wont it be easier just to chop of the tip of the barrel by say a few mm OR if you want to maintain the barrel length you can just drill the Muzzle for 1/2 an inch using a power drill.
The reason i had this question was if you look at the muzzle of an IHP you will see that it looks just like the barrel has been cut flat.
Has anyone tried the above?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:16 pm

You do need to recrown because when a barrel is cut, there will be minute burrs that affect accuracy substantially.

The types of crown faces (rounded, flat, 11 degree target, etc.) is a matter of choice but you have to ensure that the barrel is cut true (perpendicular) to the longitudinal axis of the bore and that there are no burrs. To ensure this, a very small chamfer of 0.5mm, approximately, is made at the end of the bore and this, along with the face of the crown, should preferably be polished.
Has anyone tried the above?
Haven't read nor seen the links above but suffice to say you will have to crown a barrel.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:48 pm

Thanks Mack The Knife - I have an old airgun at home let me try and see :-)

shadowphaxone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadowphaxone » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:34 am

penpusher wrote:Another one

the you tube video is really good. thanks
There are no limits to a man's curious intelligence if he is determined to succeed...

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:56 pm

Well i have finally cut the barrel of my New Lite under lever .22 smooth bore. now it is 5 1/2 inches shorter than what it was. It was cut with a Hacksaw blade and then filed and sand papered smoothly. i havent had time to check it out at long ranges but upto 10 yards the grouping is very good - without recrowning.

shadowphaxone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadowphaxone » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:09 am

Sniper,

I agree with you about the chopping & recrowning part which can be done without much problems. But my question is:

How will you RE CUT the two gauge ways which are required to fix the front open sights on the barrel???
There are no limits to a man's curious intelligence if he is determined to succeed...

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:56 pm

What i have done for that is did got an old scooter part that looks like a piece of pipe (bush, or bearing center) and on that i have welded a peice of metal and shaped it to look like a foresight - works like a charm :-) and best thing is that it just slips onto the barrel and needs no further fixation - you can use a little packing and superglue or Ardalite to hold it in place there.
/S/

shadowphaxone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadowphaxone » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:49 am

snIPer wrote:What i have done for that is did got an old scooter part that looks like a piece of pipe (bush, or bearing center) and on that i have welded a peice of metal and shaped it to look like a foresight - works like a charm :-) and best thing is that it just slips onto the barrel and needs no further fixation - you can use a little packing and superglue or Ardalite to hold it in place there.
/S/

That is a cool improvisation because to cut a gauge way, you will need a shaper or milling machine and the barrel has to be removed from the receiver for this process.

I was taking about gauge ways like that of in IHP air guns. But if you want to fit a traditional " _I_ " type front sight, all you need to do is chop up a slot for the base of the " _I_ " section and you can do it by using a couple of files and spirit level.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards :D :mrgreen: :D

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Recrowning the Barrel

Post by snIPer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Im positive that there is a post about this somewhere but just couldnt locate it.
Mods pls move if you find it :-)

This seems the easiest way to do it and best part is no extra tools are required.

http://www.network54.com/Realm/CFTech/BioCrown.htm

/s/

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Recrowning the Barrel

Post by The Doc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:05 pm

snIPer wrote:Im positive that there is a post about this somewhere but just couldnt locate it.
I remember Mack The Knife posted that, it was about re-crowning his IOF .22LR .

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:09 am

The muzzle is fairly important for accuracy in any caliber. There is no doubt about that. Multiple crown styles exist, and the best ones are those that work for you.

It is like barrel lenghts.. some claim that 26-30 inch is essential, while others will swear by 21 3/4 inches.

I do know a few folks who when a barrel will wear out will chop 1/2 inches off ether side and rechamber and re crown. Personally I found buying a new barrel cheaper and easier.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Can anyone direct me to Mack The Knife banas article on recrowning of his IOF .22

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Pretty sure that there wasnt a seperate article on that.

/S/