Laminated Pistol Grip for PCP Pistol being made

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
karizman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Laminated Pistol Grip for PCP Pistol being made

Post by karizman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:57 pm

I just thought sharing a few photographs of a laminated pistol grip I am making for a friend of mine. A PCP pistol for the same is also being made at present from scratch. I will share progress with you right here.

Oh & the whole grip is made with a drill machine, 2 bits of drill & 3 typs of files only. I have not used even a saw also. I also intend to finish the same with minimum of tools to get the experience about how old timers were making such fine weapons without advanced machinery.

ACTUALLY I DON'T LIKE TO POMPOM MY ABILITIES BUT I JUST THOUGHT OF SHARING THIS LITTLE PIECE OF WORK FOR THE PEOPLE HAVING DOUBT ABOUT MY KNOWLEDGE. THERE ARE MANY PRODUCTS I HAVE DONE EARLIER & ALSO ARE IN PIPELINE WHICH I WILL KEEP SHAIRING HERE IF INSISTED BY ANY OF FELLOW FORUMER.

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

For Advertising mail webmaster
biking3819
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Laminated Pistol Grip for PCP Pistol being made

Post by biking3819 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:37 pm

awesome work!
which pistol would you fit the grip in,the inletting i guess is the tricky part in modern pcp's.
thanx for sharing.
sanjiv

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:38 pm

looks like nice fitting handgrips..are u a gunsmith or you do it just for fun?
Regards
Mandeep

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:49 am

I always admire people who are crafty :) My suggestion will be to have a better/wider thumb rest.

Please also, do not handicap yourself by using less tools. If you're going to use tools, use the best you can afford, if not, then go with the most basic. All the best and PLEASE SHARE WHAT YOU DO, its better than seeing people's pocket lint ;)

karizman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by karizman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:21 am

HSharief";p="52155 wrote:I always admire people who are crafty :) My suggestion will be to have a better/wider thumb rest.

Please also, do not handicap yourself by using less tools. If you're going to use tools, use the best you can afford, if not, then go with the most basic. All the best and PLEASE SHARE WHAT YOU DO, its better than seeing people's pocket lint ;)
Thank you very much for your encouraging comments. I have some of the best tools such as dremel set, mini lathe, digital vernier, diamond files & much more collected over the years. This perticular project is accepted as a challange with a friend & please read my post once again. I wanted to feel the difficulties felt by old-timers when most of the work was done with hand tools or minimum power tools.

I will definately keep posting my work here as & when possible.

Thanks once again

Karizman

karizman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by karizman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:24 am

msandhu";p="52154 wrote:looks like nice fitting handgrips..are u a gunsmith or you do it just for fun?
Regards
Mandeep
I am a Gun tinkerer & I do it for fun & to know my hobby in depth.

karizman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by karizman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:28 am

biking3819";p="52153 wrote:awesome work!
which pistol would you fit the grip in,the inletting i guess is the tricky part in modern pcp's.
thanx for sharing.
sanjiv
Thanks for your comments.

I am making two pistols at present one is Co2 powered & other one is PCP. Both the pistols are being made from scratch. I mean to say only their barrel is from Lothar Walther - Germany & rest of the pistol including air reservoir is being made by me at my home workshop. I will let you all know the progress as soon as it is complete.

Thanks

SRI 420
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by SRI 420 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:52 am

Hi Karizman,
Excellent work there! It is also very nice to know that you are making air pistols. All the very best to you and hope you complete the same at the earliest. Please keep us posted on your progress.
srinivas
It is nice to be important: But it is more important to be Nice!

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:23 am

This is a nice project to see. The hardest part will be grooving to fit the gun. Will you be using router or mill? The drill machine is B&D if I am not wrong.

Good luck!
-Tirtha

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:14 am

Great looking piece :)
Is it Pine wood there? Also, I think you could have added a little more wood to where the base of the palm (rear grip) touches the gun. In pistol shooting, I have observed, correct me if I am wrong, that the pressures on the line of the target (fingers and rear of the palm) gives great control.
Or maybe, you have not taken a complete grip in your pic, and I may be completely wrong :)
What matters more is the ability to think you can do it and go ahead and DO IT! Hats off buddy :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:41 pm

Don't build a better mouse trap build a better air pistol for us and we'll come running to your door.

:-)

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Goldfinger
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Goldfinger » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:25 pm

Fabulous beginning

Do please consider a palm swell on the right if intended for a right hander. The last three fingers feel better when they are together hence only shallow finger grooves would probably be suited for the last three fingers and that too pronounced on the right side, fading as they cross the midline. In other words the finger grooves need not stretch identically on the left and right side of the median.

Do please also leave enough corners at the base for attaching weights/counterweights.

It is so easy to advise no ?

Love to see the finished product.

Goldfinger
PS. Which mini bench lathe do you have ?

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:22 pm

karizman";p="52158 wrote:
I am making two pistols at present one is Co2 powered & other one is PCP. Both the pistols are being made from scratch. I mean to say only their barrel is from Lothar Walther - Germany & rest of the pistol including air reservoir is being made by me at my home workshop. I will let you all know the progress as soon as it is complete.

Thanks
Excellent work Karizman :) , do post step by step progress of your project and I wish all the best for it. I have two questions regarding it

1. Did you import the barrel from walther through post/courier or someone personally carried it from abroad ?

2. This one may sound a little bit odd and excuse me for asking this question but I would like to know the legal aspect of it, I mean is it legal to make airguns (even for hobby purpose) without having a special permission or license ? Actually most of the Airgun makers in Kolkata do have a sort of Arms Manufacturer License (dont know the exact name/term of it but that was issue by state goverment). I assume you are not a professional gunsmith and doing it for hobby purpose. Correct me if I am wrong , and I would be the happiest person on earth to know its legal and does not required any special permission to create/make airguns for hobby purpose.
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

karizman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by karizman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:05 pm

to_saptarshi";p="52209 wrote:
karizman";p="52158 wrote:

Thanks
Excellent work Karizman :) , do post step by step progress of your project and I wish all the best for it. I have two questions regarding it

1. Did you import the barrel from walther through post/courier or someone personally carried it from abroad ?

2. This one may sound a little bit odd and excuse me for asking this question but I would like to know the legal aspect of it, I mean is it legal to make airguns (even for hobby purpose) without having a special permission or license ? Actually most of the Airgun makers in Kolkata do have a sort of Arms Manufacturer License (dont know the exact name/term of it but that was issue by state goverment). I assume you are not a professional gunsmith and doing it for hobby purpose. Correct me if I am wrong , and I would be the happiest person on earth to know its legal and does not required any special permission to create/make airguns for hobby purpose.
I am not gunsmith, only a tinkerer. Air rifles do not require licence to own. I am not making a new air rifle. I am just refurbishing the gun which again does not require any kind of licence. Do you require a licence to change a spring, washer in your springer? Don't you change size of piston by polishing it ?

(Dear Saptarshi please see your PM as well)

Dear friend every law has a loophole. One just has to find it. I tried contacting Home ministry, Local arms licensing authorities, gun dealers to know exact law being applied to airguns but everywhere I got vauge answers. Therefore I decided to go ahead with refurbishing while staying in power limit. Secondly I only do it as a hobby & among my friends only.

And above all these I have seen that most of the laws are made without proper consideration & hence always broken or challanged. Take case of import of .177 airguns. What are you going to shoot through it? Peanuts, because pellets or any other accessories & spares are not allowed to import. But still anyone with right contacts gets everything in our country. I just feel pity on ourselves. We want gold medals in all Olympic events but except cricket bats, hockey sticks & protection gear for these sports nothing is being made in our country to highest standadrs. And do you know these are the only products are not restricted to import & are classified as sports goods in DGFT manual. Our government itself does not acknowledge other sports then imagine where we are heading.

I am sorry for such a long reply but I coud not stop pouring out my anguish. I hope you all have the same feelings.

Thanks

Karizman
Last edited by karizman on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karizman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by karizman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:15 pm

Goldfinger";p="52203 wrote:Fabulous beginning

Do please consider a palm swell on the right if intended for a right hander. The last three fingers feel better when they are together hence only shallow finger grooves would probably be suited for the last three fingers and that too pronounced on the right side, fading as they cross the midline. In other words the finger grooves need not stretch identically on the left and right side of the median.

Do please also leave enough corners at the base for attaching weights/counterweights.

It is so easy to advise no ?

Love to see the finished product.

Goldfinger
PS. Which mini bench lathe do you have ?
Thanks Goldfinger for your valuable suggestions. As that also I wanted to thin it & was wondring from where to start. Your suggestions have definately given me the direction & I will see how it fits. There is lot of work remaining on this project. I am trying to spare as much maximum time I can allot but still I am really very dumb when it comes to timing schedule.

Please do not hesitate to make comments or suggestions. I am always a learner, I will never be learned.

Thanks,

Karizman