Possibilties of cleaning stock for rifles

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Possibilties of cleaning stock for rifles

Post by Katana » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Hello everyone,

Could anyone help me with some info. With a Brno Mod1, the stock is completely black from usage over the years. How could it be cleaned? Secondly, with a Win. .30-06, the are paint marks on the butt when the firearm was deposited with the police, otherwise the stock is fine. Any idea how to remove the paint without any scratches or fouling the polish?
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

For Advertising mail webmaster
marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Possibilties of cleaning stock for rifles

Post by marksman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:15 pm

I am sure others may have a better suggestions, but I have witnessed my friend boil the stock of his German 8x60 R double rifle butt that had turned almost black,in a drum of boiling water to rid it of all the Rangoon oil and grit it had collected over the decades. It result turned out pretty good BUT, it was a high grade Walnut. I wouldn't advise you to do it to your Brno rifle stock unless it is good matured walnut. Brno .22 rifles generally come with stained Beechwood.Try leaving it in hot sun (with barreled action removed) and wiping periodically with tissue paper. It will take a very long time to get most of the oils out but it's the safest way. All the best. :wink:
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Marksman,

I was also suggested to heat it slowly over a wood fire. Basically the idea being to heat the wood and release the oils from the grains. I get the idea, but am wondering whether to actually do it. Meanwhile, any idea how to remove paint marks from a stained/ varnished/ polished stock? Police atrocity! :roll: I suppose you get the idea!
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi Katana,

I faced a similar problem a long time ago about restoring my winchester 30-06 rifle butt. As per advice from my local gun smith I applied 'paint stripper' (available in hardware shops) and left it overnight. The surface blisters and the scales can be easily removed. I then gently rubbed the stock with emery paper wrapped around a small wodden block. The original wood surface which was walnut revealed. Later I applied walnut wood stain to the stock and subsequently gave the butt 2 coats of polyurethane wood coating with a brush (spraying would have been better). But overall the finish turned out to be good.

Cheers
Brihacharan

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Heating the stock by "showing" it to an electric stove or flame is the best way to drain the oils it has soaked in over the years.
/s/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi Katana my way is simple,works with all kind of wood with no damage.Take a big piece of sheet glass,wear gloves{Be sure that you the sharpened side in ur hand} scrarch the sharpened side on the stock along with the grain,after you scrap the side take 250 grn sand paper and scarp the stock and it will be as good as new.Tried this way on my Savage and a friends Krico

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:34 pm

I think you can make use of this thread.

http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1366

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:56 am

Thanks everyone! I suppose I'll try to do my best. Maybe even post 'before' and 'after' pics!

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Katana, I got a beat up Mod 1 Brno too.
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7125
Took the paint stripper way.Apply paint stripper liberally on the outside first, use a putty knife to scrape off the muck after a couple of minutes.May need to be repeated a couple of times.Do the same on the inside.Careful of the checkering...Then do the heating trick-preferably over an elec stove. build 2 small stiff wire M frames to rest the stock on, about 6-8" high , and do a slow rotisserie chakkar. be warned, will take a fair bit of time, you gotta be right next to the stock with constant monitoring.This will sweat out the oil.Again, may need more than a couple of attempts.Will be interesting to see what lies beneath. I got some decent wood and finished it with 400 and 600 paper, and a simple wax finish
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."