IHP Scope Mount by Tirths

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

IHP Scope Mount by Tirths

Post by brihacharan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:51 pm

Hi Guys,
> I recently acquired an IHP Scope Mount from This thread has been edited to conform with Indian For Guns policy as stated in the Announcements forum - Here's my critical evaluation.

> Next to steel, Aluminum is the most commonly used and commercially available metal. Its light weight and high strength-to-weight ratio make it a good choice for everything from aircraft to jigs to just about anything else you can make out of metal.
> Hence the choice of using Aircraft Grade Aluminum is not only ideal but perfect for the mount.
> It's 15cms long & 17mm wide with a 11mm rail ideally suited for mounting scopes.
> The groove is perfectly machined at an angle of 45deg approx thus ensuring a perfect grip of the scope's clamp mounts. In fact the bias cut is absolutely uniform.
> The holes are drilled, tapped (3.2mm dia) and counter sunk to fit M4 screws snuggly.
> The space between the holes are precisely 6mm which ensures a firm and uniform grip and the transmission of even vibration across the mount when the gun is fired.
> The ingenious provision of the 'Scope Stopper' is a blessing - as it prevents Scope Creep that's common amongst air rifles due to their both forward & rear shocks when fired.
> Lastly the finish is absolutely professional and neat that includes the bottom curvature which sits well on the tube.
Hats off to Tirths for his contribution to all gun lovers.
Cheers
Brihacharan

For Advertising mail webmaster
tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: IHP Scope Mount by Tirths

Post by tirths » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 am

Some time critic motivates too! And this a classic example here. Thanks much!

trammway
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by trammway » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:08 pm

I'm on queue guys... Will join elite customer base of Tirtha :)

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Happy to hear that Trammway :)

Atanu
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Atanu » Sun May 09, 2010 11:36 am

brihacharan wrote:Hi Guys,
> I recently acquired an IHP Scope Mount from This thread has been edited to conform with Indian For Guns policy as stated in the Announcements forum - Here's my critical evaluation.

> Next to steel, Aluminum is the most commonly used and commercially available metal. Its light weight and high strength-to-weight ratio make it a good choice for everything from aircraft to jigs to just about anything else you can make out of metal.
> Hence the choice of using Aircraft Grade Aluminum is not only ideal but perfect for the mount.
> It's 15cms long & 17mm wide with a 11mm rail ideally suited for mounting scopes.
> The groove is perfectly machined at an angle of 45deg approx thus ensuring a perfect grip of the scope's clamp mounts. In fact the bias cut is absolutely uniform.
> The holes are drilled, tapped (3.2mm dia) and counter sunk to fit M4 screws snuggly.
> The space between the holes are precisely 6mm which ensures a firm and uniform grip and the transmission of even vibration across the mount when the gun is fired.
> The ingenious provision of the 'Scope Stopper' is a blessing - as it prevents Scope Creep that's common amongst air rifles due to their both forward & rear shocks when fired.

> Lastly the finish is absolutely professional and neat that includes the bottom curvature which sits well on the tube.
Cheers
Brihacharan
Hi,

All that said Brihacaharn is 100% correct, although I wonder where is the criticality?!. I have already posted pictures of this rail seperately and also mounted on the spring chamber. Personally, as mentioned before, I would prefer a black anodized colour, so that it gels with the color of the gun. Except that the rail is a perfection.

I still have to understand as to how to use the scope stopper. maybe Tirths or Briha can shosome light.

BR// Atanu

-- Sun May 09, 2010 12:36 pm --
brihacharan wrote:Hi Guys,
> I recently acquired an IHP Scope Mount from target-tune In (Tirths) - Here's my critical evaluation.

Cheers
Brihacharan
Hi,

All that said Brihacaharn is 100% correct, although I wonder where is the criticality?!. I have already posted pictures of this rail seperately and also mounted on the spring chamber. Personally, as mentioned before, I would prefer a black anodized colour, so that it gels with the color of the gun. Except that the rail is a perfection.

I still have to understand as to how to use the scope stopper. maybe Tirths or Briha can shosome light.

BR// Atanu

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon May 10, 2010 10:33 am

Hi,
BR// Atanu

Hi Atanu,
> Criticality means a proper alignment (centering) & fixing the base mount on top of the power plant / tube. If this is observed then less the problems in sighting the scope.
> Individual manufacturers of the base mount "may not" have the facility to "black anodize' it, because it's a wet process and a bit messy.
> The answer to this is to get it black powder coated - to get a single piece done could pose a problem, if you have friends in this industry, well & good.
> Scope stopper is a screw that come with the scope - it's a lug or a screw that fits into the hole that is closer to the comb on the stock. This prevents the reverse sliding of the scope due the to & fro jerk that's peculiar to all air rifles. Tirtha will give you the exact dimensions of this lug / screw.
Cheers
Brihacharan

santhosh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by santhosh » Mon May 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi friends,

Last Saturday i went to meet Thirth, I took my IHP with me to get the scope rail installed.
I reached his place @ 5PM unfortunately they had a power outage. But that didn’t stop us, we had a small chat, he showed me the power booster piston that he had designed and developed it was very good, less than half the weight of IHP piston and comparatively a better design ( have taken the pic) he also showed me the existing spring IHP spring guide and the flaws in that that and how it will lead to in accuracy he also talked about his plans to manufacture guns that too on international standards and quality ,and then he showed me the Scope mount rails and taught me how to install it. He said that It takes around 4.5 hrs to make this Rail and if we go ahead and paint it will increase the cost of the rail

This is a proto type not the Mass pro model

First he tied a thread to the pin on the Front sight and held it to the rear cap of the chamber, so that we can find the center point on the chamber and then marked it with a pencil, then he placed the scope on the thread (using this as a reference to find the center) and marked the screw hole points and tapped it with a small pin to mark it, then Thirth proceeded to tear down the IHP and he also taught me how to do that.

He had all the tools ready, his home made spring compressor was very good we removed the all the parts (the spring protruded almost 2 inched out when we removed it, Thirth explained that this compression of the mainspring is a pre load on the spring and it will weaken the spring and that compressed energy is not properly used) except the piston that was still inside the chamber, we took that along with the rail to a local automobile shop where they do the turning
works, two guys rejected the work as they didn’t have technician or the tools to make a hole and tap the screw thread, Finally we found another guy he drilled 3 holes on the marked positions with a 3mm drill bit and installed the screw thread in that hole with a 3.2 mm screw tap ( don’t know these specification thirths only did this) and then we went to search for a flat head M4 screw none of the shops had that, we were so disappointed and thirth was saying that he never thought it was hard to find that. Finally came back home without the screw, now it we almost 7Pm and the power came then He searched in his house and i was lucky he found three screws and then we went ahead and installed the scope rail on the chamber. Then he removed the piston and applied some molly on the sides the piston washer is not that great that was supplied by IHP he also showed me Chinese seals, leather seals and all he had all these with him.
He asked me not to change the seal as of now and let it go and will change it later. Then when we tried installing the spring back we had a tough time the piston was obstructing the spring compression which is very common in IHP and the spring pin was not aligning properly and it took us more than 30 minutes to get this work completed and he had a stiff neck and it started to ache poor chap still he dint give up his determination, finally we managed to get it done and assembled all the parts and then installed a single piece mount along on the rail. I had chance to fire his super tuned BAM b40 though the gun was bit heavy that Trigger was super light and gun was extremely powerful and accurate.

Because of the poor lighting i couldn’t take the Teardown Pictures.

Thirth with my IHP scope railed installed

Thirth installing a scope mount

This guy was so patient he answered all my questions and cleared my doubts and was extremely helpful and knowledgeable .Hats off to Thirth

Regards
Santhosh.B

Atanu
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Atanu » Mon May 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Santosh,

Thanks for the detailed update and the pics, especially of Tirths. He looks as pleasant and charming as he talks on phone. :lol:

I mounted the rail myself and also tuned my IHP 35, but to do that I worried the daylights out of Tirths by telephoning hime continuously. I also had the same problem when compressing back the spring. The spring guide gets blocked and has to be readjusted from outside.

All said and done Tirths is indeed a great guy. :agree:
Happy plinking,

Atanu

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon May 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi Santosh / Atanu,
> Nice to see Tirths's pic.
> Glad you got your work done to your satisfaction - change your seal to Apex and feel the difference!
> Like I mentioned earlier Tirths is guy ' with the soul of an artist & the mind of an engineer '.
Cheers
Brihacharan

santhosh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by santhosh » Mon May 10, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi Brihacharan,

My next plan is to get the IHP Piston replaced with the power booster, it has an Apex seal installed and to change the spring guide wich will reduce the tension on the Spring and will avoid the wobbling of the spring when fired, will also change the Trigger with the one designed by tirth.
I had informed him about this but he dosent have it in stock so waiting for his update on the same.

Regards
Santhosh.B

Atanu
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Atanu » Mon May 10, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi Brihacharan,

Thanks. It gives immense satisfaction to have good friends hereabouts.

I sincerely hope that whatever cobwebs with Tirths' membership at IFG, is cleared up soon. :cry:

BR// Atanu

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon May 10, 2010 6:16 pm

santhosh wrote:Hi Brihacharan,

My next plan is to get the IHP Piston replaced with the power booster, it has an Apex seal installed and to change the spring guide wich will reduce the tension on the Spring and will avoid the wobbling of the spring when fired, will also change the Trigger with the one designed by tirth.
I had informed him about this but he dosent have it in stock so waiting for his update on the same.

Regards
Santhosh.B
Hi Santosh,
> Man, you are lucky to be Chennai and meet Tirths personally.
> In fact when he told me about his modified piston & trigger a long time ago, I had requested him to spare me one of each. He was kind enough to say YES!
> It would be worth my while to go to Chennai and get it done when they are ready.
> On a lighter side - as one of our fellow IFGian had remarked "If you change the piston, trigger, spring, spring guide, seal and adaptor - the only original IHP35 part left will be the "STOCK"!!!!! :D
Cheers
Brihacharan

santhosh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by santhosh » Mon May 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi,

Though we change everything only thing that matters is performance and accuracy. :wink:

Regards
Santhosh.B

Atanu
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Atanu » Mon May 10, 2010 10:40 pm

Hi Guys,

Here are some pics of my Tasco 4X32 Scope mounted on my IHP 35, using the rail provided by Tirths:

Close up of the rail:
[Images removed woopics]

Illuminated range finder in the scope
[Images removed woopics]

My IHP mounted on my IHP 35
[Images removed woopics]

I also tuned the gun properly by polishing the insides of the spring/ piston chamber, polishing the piston, installing an Apex seal and properly lubing with Moly paste.

BR// Atanu

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue May 11, 2010 11:08 am

I also tuned the gun properly by polishing the insides of the spring/ piston chamber, polishing the piston, installing an Apex seal and properly lubing with Moly paste.

BR// Atanu
Atanu

Hi Atanu & Fellow IFGians,
> While most of us go "Gung Ho" about tuning our IHP35s, we overlook the bedding of the powerplant tube on to the rifle stock.
> Take a closer look and you'll find that the inside finish of the stock where the powerplant rests is often rough and appears unfinished. Here's a solution.....
> Gently smoothen the insides of the fore-end (where the powerplant rests) with 100no. sandpaper & wipe clean.
> Apply a light coat of araldite - cut strips of a nylon mesh (90 t0 100 mesh) to size and paste. Ensure a clean and firm adhesion - trim edges if they appear - leave the stock as such overnight.
> Fix the powerplant ( in gun terminolgy its called bedding) and tighten the screws. Ensures a SNUG FIT.
> This gives a cushioning effect & absorbs any vibrations when the gun is fired.
Have fun guys.
Cheers
Brihacharan