Best Gun Oil For Foreign Handguns

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
hellboyraden
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Best Gun Oil For Foreign Handguns

Post by hellboyraden » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:20 pm

i want to know ,which is the best gun oil for imported revolvers and pistols..!!

THANKS..

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Best Gun Oil For Foreign Handguns

Post by MoA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Singer Sewing Machine OIl, Castrol, Any synthetic Engine Oil... all work. Even WD-40 does a decent job of prevent corrosion in a humid environment, but will not lubricate.
For long term storage cosmoline is stuff all the armies of the world swear by. :cheers:

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:53 pm

'Gun oil' in India is a generic term for cleaning/lubrication/storage solvent.
Strip gun, soak metal parts in kerosene overnight, if required, remove, dry on newspaper.Use 20w40 oil from nearest petrol bunk.. or singer sewing machine oil on moving parts-just a light film.
If its barrel cleaning, make yourself some Ed's red-just search for it here.
Imported dus lakh ka or desi hatoda, all deserve TLC and care
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

1905mauser
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by 1905mauser » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:37 pm

hellboyraden wrote:i want to know ,which is the best gun oil for imported revolvers and pistols..!!

THANKS..
You may try teflon/PTFE spray to lubricate the gun and see if it helps you keep its free from sticky grim! I do sue PTFE spray for my guns. Bought from cycle shop. cheapest one.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:12 am

I'm going with MoA & 1905mauser here. Singer sewing machine oil is good. My all-time favorite is Automatic Transmission Fluid, which is also synthetic. It fights rust and galling, especially when aluminum is involved (which makes it good for tapping threads in aluminum, too!).

I think that the greatest error people make with oil and grease type lubricants is forgetting that the lubricant molecules act like little ball bearings. Only the lubricant that's between the moving parts does any lubrication. Blobbing all sorts of extra lubricant on the parts only collects dirt and makes a mess.

I'm governed by what they used to say about a popular hair creme of 50 years ago, "A little dab will do ya!"

A whiff of dry lubricant, such as graphite or teflon powder works well in some cases, too. I have especially found the teflon useful.

MoA is precisely correct in noting that WD-40 is not a lubricant: the "WD" stands for "water displacement," IIRC. Its residue will also attract every piece of lint and sand within 20 square miles, which will guarantee you'll need to clean again soon!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

hellboyraden
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by hellboyraden » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:47 pm

THANXX...ALL..!!!

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:21 pm

And the best way to remove WD 40, is spraying on more and wiping clean.