Can this be salvaged??

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Can this be salvaged??

Post by jonahpach » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:16 am

Can this be salvaged??

One of my cousins (twice removed) dug this out from his closet the other day and challenged me if I could do anything for it. He had lent it to a friend (who kept it for a couple of years) and this friend had fallen off a tree with the rifle slung across his shoulder with a strap. Luckily for him the rifle got caught in one of the lower branches and his life was saved. Not so for the poor rifle! It suffered a major cracked stock, broken cocking handle, and a damaged barrel crown. The cracked stock was hurriedly nailed up and returned to the owner while he was not at home.

Speak softly and carry a big gun!

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Can this be salvaged??

Post by timmy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:05 am

I didn't see a picture of the barrel crown. The most important thing would be if the barrel is bent or if there are any cracks or bends in the receiver. Does the bolt operate normally?

The rest, with various degrees of trouble and expense, and with some degree of accepting a damaged look, shouldn't prevent the gun from being used.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:49 pm

spend about 2 weeks on the stock-those brno's are tough.Araldite and brass pins should help in the stock/wrist repair.
What about the barrel/crown/action? cant make out any damage
You certainly have access to some interesting weaponry.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:02 pm

of course it can be salvaged..............
India is the land of bhangarwalla. :)
If we can sell raddi paper and old TVs and all other pieces of junk that would normally be discarded in the west...... we can salvage a gun for sure!!! If u think it can't be done, please send it to mumbai or pune and the gunsmiths/shops here will work wonders.
Don't even get me started on Kanpur and Hydrabad...
Monish

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks jefe and guys :D just wait for a couple of days.. Too bad I dont have a before photo of the crown, looked like It fell off the tree and landed on some rocks! The barrel itself is not crooked or misaligned in any way.. Test firing will tell! You can makeout where the bolt broke off in the fifth photo on the sliding recess below the ejection port.

Jonah

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:55 am

Yes it can be salvaged.
The barrel can be recrowned quite easily. The bolt can be re-made and a replacement stock should be a simple matter to fabricate in India. So yes with a little cash the rifle could be salvaged quite easily.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the rifle is a .22 automatic? Are'nt these weapons banned? Or is it that old licensees are allowed to retain it? Definitely not allowed in Mahrashtra until unless converted to manual firing.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:23 pm

Semi autos are allowed in Mizoram, as long as they do not have full auto selection capability. I dont know why it is not allowed in Maharashtra, all pistols are semi autos.

Jonah

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:39 pm

do not forget the local arm rules veriaton etc. send it to me will sort it out for you 8)
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Jonach,
MoA +1,
do metal work, if new stock cant be inletted, repair the old one, and recrowning -cut off the affected segment of the bbl-on a lathe if possible and recrown it using a drill and a round head screw-just google the technique.
Instead of the usual bluing, why dont you clean the metal with 400-600 grit wet and dry paper,clean with acetone and then...
heat 100ml of hydrogen peroxide in a microwave, keep adding sea salt until no more dissolves in h2o2, then a capful of vinegar.
Next heat metal parts and spray this hot solution from a regular spray bottle.You may have to do 3-4 coats for a nice ,fine black.Quench in oil as usual
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Hey jefe'

That's a new trick.. will definitely try it out on something else but not too soon as the microwave involves the missus.. (a written application in triplicate would be required :) ) crowning has been done bolt attached.. have even acquired a block of wood for the stock if the old one dosent pass..

Jonah

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:44 pm

eljefe wrote:heat 100ml of hydrogen peroxide in a microwave, keep adding sea salt until no more dissolves in h2o2, then a capful of vinegar.
Next heat metal parts and spray this hot solution from a regular spray bottle.You may have to do 3-4 coats for a nice ,fine black.Quench in oil as usual
Neat.Now where do I get sea salt from? Any one willing to send me a pack? Wont table salt do?

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:01 pm

eljefe wrote:Jonach,
MoA +1,
do metal work, if new stock cant be inletted, repair the old one, and recrowning -cut off the affected segment of the bbl-on a lathe if possible and recrown it using a drill and a round head screw-just google the technique.
Instead of the usual bluing, why dont you clean the metal with 400-600 grit wet and dry paper,clean with acetone and then...
heat 100ml of hydrogen peroxide in a microwave, keep adding sea salt until no more dissolves in h2o2, then a capful of vinegar.
Wah great new technique, sea salt will be tough here. But must do my qb barrel with this.

Jonah make that ole Bruno come back to life. Looks like a fabulous piece, semi 22s are great. :cheers:
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:13 am

jonahpach wrote:Hey jefe'

That's a new trick.. will definitely try it out on something else but not too soon as the microwave involves the missus.. (a written application in triplicate would be required :) ) crowning has been done bolt attached.. have even acquired a block of wood for the stock if the old one dosent pass..

Jonah
Clean, finish polish and then in true Indian fashion sell as modified NIB condition. :P :P ROTFL

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:57 am

That nick at the outside of the crown won't affect a thing, though the barrel does appear bent in the pictures. A bit of elbow grease, a new stock, and it should be as serviceable as new.