Funny things in the movies related to guns

Post all jokes/ quizzes/ teasers/ 'identify this' type of posts here
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Funny things in the movies related to guns

Post by timmy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:34 am

Remember someone (I think it was XL) post a video (sometime back) from a Hollywood movie where this fellow shoots a pumpkin (or something) with a rifle and the thing blows into pieces.
Prashantji, I'm pretty sure the movie you refer to is the old "The Day of the Jackal," the same one I'm referring to above. However, that scene was correct, in that the Jackal shot the melon with an exploding bullet. He not only wanted to test the gun (in the movie), but also the exploding bullet he was going to use for the assassination.

The movie is actually a very good movie - one of my favorites. The Jackal sights in his rifle with regular rounds by shooting at a melon hanging from a tree limb, and then fires an explosive bullet at the melon, causing it to explode.

This site has a writeup on the rifle here:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/%22Day_of_the ... iper_Rifle

and on the whole movie here:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Jackal,_The

As can be seen, this site is quite a resource when it comes to searching for guns used in movies.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:08 am

Hooo-ahhh! C'mon guys!! Way to go!!

Timmy, you are right, no comments on Rajini saar.

Who can forget our friend the "termite-inator", oh sorry, terminator, aka the Hon Governor. Remember "True Lies", where Arnie's wife tries to fire a gun (which looks like an Ingram MAC-10), the recoil causes her to drop the gun, the gun falls down a flight of stairs, shooting by itself as it hits each rung. And all the bullets have 100% accuracy on the bad guys. Gun.... falling down stairs..... shooting bad guys......!!! And the termite himself using heavy machine guns hand-held on many occassions!

Timmy, the Day of the Jackal was indeed a superb movie - the best assassin movie ever, IMHO, Statham be damned! That scene with the melon is also detailed in the book, and Forsyth is usually quite a bit better than his fellow litterateurs with his weapon descriptions. Prashantji, this was a bullet with a hole drilled in its tip, filled with liquid mercury, and resealed with soft solder. The sudden acceleration & deceleration of the bullet as it is fired and then strikes the target is supposed to blow it apart. Dunno whether that's true - sounds feasible at least!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:10 pm

That's one movie I havn't seen yet. The explosion looked more impressive than the rifle itself. Perhaps I have to see the whole movie to understand it better.