New Member from the States with a Greener .375 Express Rifle

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
Bill_Noon
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

New Member from the States with a Greener .375 Express Rifle

Post by Bill_Noon » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:05 am

Good day Indians for Guns,

My family and I live in San Diego, California. My wife's family is originally from India. My wife recently inherited a 1910 W.W. Greener .375 40/300 Martini-Action, single-shot rifle.

We are trying to learn some history behind it. We believe her grandfather acquired it possibly in the 1930s. Before the partition of India and Pakistan, her father then inherited it. She inherited it when he passed away a few years ago but only just recently took actual possession. It will eventually pass down to our youngest son. He and I are now in the process of restoring it.

I wrote to Mr. Greener in the UK and he provided the following:

"Dear Mr Noon.

W W Greener single barrel Martini action rifle was started on 3rd February 1909 and finished on 25th January 1910. According to our records it is a .303 with round 28 inch barrel. It has engine turned engraving by Stokes and weighed 7 lbs 9oz when made. The person ordering the rifle is not recorded, however, a lot of this type were exported and it may well have been sent to India.

Graham N Greener"

We believe after Greener completed the gun, it was immediately re-chambered for the .375 H and H Express round as this is stamped on the barrel. I test fitted some .303 snap caps and while they chamber and eject, they bullet is far too small. I checked the barrel diameter and it is .375 of an inch or 9.5mm.

If someone can show me how to post photos, I will do so. I am hoping to learn if there is modern ammunition commercially available to purchase it as I would like our family to be able to take it to the range and shoot it.

If this should be posted in a specific area, please let me know.

Kind regards and many thanks,

Bill Noon

For Advertising mail webmaster
miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: New Member from the States with a Greener .375 Express Rifle

Post by miroflex » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:50 am

Welcome to the group Bill.

Someone here may be able to help you in your quest if you mention something about your wife's grandfather and where he lived and worked. India is a sub=continent and was a very big country before 1935, before the separation of Burma (now Myanmar) and of Pakistan (now Bangladesh and Pakistan) in1947.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: New Member from the States with a Greener .375 Express Rifle

Post by marksman » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:03 pm

IMHO it could be a 9.5mm round of various German descend cartridge e.g. 9.5x56 mm or 9.5x57 mm. mostly rimmed version.

Marksman