Hello from Perth, Western Australia

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Hello from Perth, Western Australia

Post by SMJ » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Welcome to the forum Martin. You seemed to have lived (and still live) a dream life as far as shooting and the outdoors go. Did you by any chance happen to know Don Anderson, son of the big game hunter and author Kenneth Anderson?

For Advertising mail webmaster
Martin Clarke
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Martin Clarke » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi SMJ, Thank you for the welcome. I read Kenneth Anderson's books in my youth, but no, I did not know him. I think he concentrated on shooting, mainly in South India. Me and my family are from North India. Dad was in the army, and was transferred around the country; he may have met him, but I'm not sure.
Yes, I have enjoyed my youth growing up in India - boarding school, day school, and enjoyed playing football. I was in the school team when I was just 13. My mother was scared that I would be injured playing with senior boys, but I guess I avoided injury. Even though here we have all the facilities, and access to good weapons and ammo, I miss the landscape - hills, valleys, lakes and plains, and the exotic wildlife. Moreover, I miss the humble villagers, who would go out of their way to make us comfortable. Those were the golden days!! I do miss all this very much.
Regards and best wishes..…Martin

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi Martin, I thought I had read Bangalore in your introduction somewhere and hence the question about Don :) You are correct, KA did hunt down South and was known as the Corbett of the South. I can well imagine how it mustve been growing up in India back in those times. Sadly things are very different now. Looking forward to some anecdotes from your times in India!