Shooting from Goa!

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
mendesgilbert
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Shooting from Goa!

Post by mendesgilbert » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:36 pm

Hello Respected Members,

I've been on the forum here since May! Have learnt so so much from all the gun owners and experts here. I recently took to shooting sports. Won my first medal at State Championship in 10m Air Pistol. Now i want to learn and participate in Firearms (Standard and Centre Fire). Will be applying for my Fresh Arms Licence and let's see how the procedure goes !!

I look to be able to own my first weapon - shortlisted .22LR IOF Revolver ( I believe I learnt from this group, the ammo is cheapest, the recoil is least and with practice on the range I can practice most with this calibre)

Would love to hear your opinion too ....

Love to all from Goa.

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Shooting from Goa!

Post by timmy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:13 pm

Welcome to IFG, and congratulations on your competition win. We're glad that you've officially joined us and will soon begin to shoot 22 in competition. We look forward to your participation!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

mendesgilbert
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mendesgilbert » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:32 pm

Thank you Timmy 😊

Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Jr. » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:00 pm

Hi mendesgilbert,

Welcome to the Forum.
Congratulations on your Sate Championship Medal.
In my limited experience, I would not recommend a IOF .22 LR Revolver.
Not sure if it will fulfill a Professional Shooters requirement.
How did you qualify, what are the procedures and formalities.
Kindly elaborate.

Regards,
Jr.

mendesgilbert
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mendesgilbert » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:56 pm

Hi Jr.

Well i will not be using the IOF .22 revolver for sports shooting. For sports shooting i use the equipment of the academy i train at. I used to shoot with Air Pistol and Air Rifle before taking up the sport.

So i approached Goa's only registered range Yash Shooting Academy for a practice session and participated in the 10mtr Air Pistol event. To my luck didn't have much competition so scored the second best. The competition and training is more focused towards 10 mts Air Rifle event.

Another Shooting Range is developed for 25mt and 50mt by Yash Shooting Hub at Mandrem and there I got a chance to experience 25mt Standard Pistol, Centre Fire Pistol and Rapid Fire Events... And i loved that so decided to train in that before participating in the same. The weapons i use are as follows for training and event which i rent from the Academy
Air Pistol - Steyr Air Pistol
Firearm Event - Pardini HP SP with a Convertable Kit for Standard and Centre Fire Events. Wonderful Weapon!!!

I chose the revolver as my wishlist weapon as i don't have much of a budget to start off with and the ammo is super cheap even if i choose to use imported ammo
I believe practice on the weapon will allow me to learn the weapon discipline better to graduate further in better weapons for the future 😀

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:56 pm

Welcome aboard Gilbert! The IOF .22 revolver is NOT a very well made pistol, having shot it a bit (my neighbour has one), the single biggest issue seems to be that of extraction (empty cases getting stuck in the chamber, after firing). If you're willing to work around that, then it's a pretty reasonably priced handgun (in the Indian scenario), especially if you can get a used piece, which should cost you maybe 30-40,000 or even less YMMV.

Cheers!
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mendesgilbert
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mendesgilbert » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:09 pm

Thank you mundaire

Yes sir i believe in the saying "beggars can't be choosers" 😂😂
The academy weapons are good for target practice... But to own and enjoy a personal weapon i think i can work around the extraction issue. When I can afford to invest bigger il move to a Pistol preferably till then i am plinking with a Glock 17 Gen 3 Air Pistol 🔫 CO2 and Blowback gives it a nice experience.

Regards
Mendes

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:20 pm

You'll soon find, the blowback type co2 air pistols are nice for plinking, but suffer from poor accuracy as they use bb's in unrifled barrels. I have one, just good for "minute of can" type backyard shooting :P which wouldn't be such a bother, if it wasn't for the crazy prices of co2 powerlets...I rarely use mine, unless there are a few kids over and I need to create a bit of fun shooting experience for them at home :)

Personally, for myself, I would pick accuracy over gimmicks any day of the week. :)
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mendesgilbert
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mendesgilbert » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:27 pm

I agree 💯 but it's what got me hooked to seriously looking at possibilities of owning a real firearm and taking interest in sports shooting. So il give it it's due credit.

Just to share with all members... Today I submitted my application for a fresh arms Licence under Self Protection for a NPB Handgun. Thanks to many posts in this forum i have filled the form as per advice by the members 🙏

Martin Clarke
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Martin Clarke » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:07 pm

Welcome to this forum - hope your dreams for range shooting are fulfilled.

mendesgilbert
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mendesgilbert » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:00 pm

Thank you Martin😀
Cheers

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:44 pm

Welcome aboard and all the very for your arms license.

mendesgilbert
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mendesgilbert » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:02 pm

Thank you Prabhath 🙏