Hi ...up in the hills

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
yakyetiyak
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Hi ...up in the hills

Post by yakyetiyak » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:59 pm

Hi Everyone !

I'm an Indian living in Nepal. Love wildlife and the outdoors. And I'm here to learn everything I thought was history but apparently is alive and kicking !

Never fired anything above an air rifle but have grown in a family steeped in shikaari traditions. Dad's dinnertime stories and black and white pictures from his heyday set my outlook towards life in concrete... or rather turned me away from the concrete jungle I was raised in !

I came to Nepal on a trek 11 years ago, liked what I saw and stayed. I lived in a village in the middle of nowhere for 4 years where the 'sawing' of a leopard was passe'. It was also a regular thing to be served partridge and quail at meals, even pheasant. Bear attacks were common too. All this together with splendid high altitude treks and riverside camping experiences spelt magic to a city boy like me.

Well here I am. On the edge of a forum I never imagined existed - willing to learn and godwilling someday practise the art of shooting.

Thanks to Mack The Knife who hooked me while I was foraging on Indian Angler.

Cheers,

Terry

ps. i clicked on the nepal flag on my profile strictly as a locational reference.

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Hi ...up in the hills

Post by kanwar76 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:16 pm

Hey welcome Teri,

Nice to have a member from up there :)

Have fun here....

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:21 pm

Welcome aboard, Terry.

What with Indian Angler and now Indians For Guns, your internet time is going to double. I just hope you are not on dial-up. ;)

Please ensure Peter joins up as well, kicking and screaming if need be.

I don't think you will ever have to worry about the road not taken.

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:29 pm

Welcome Yakyetiyak.Have a friend who creates the same dilemma yak..yeti..yak.Has hair for both and no Mehul,I don't mean you.Looks like a bear reborn as a sikh.What a regular chorus we make Mack The Knife, Dev, Mehul,Inder and me sometimes.Welcome..welcome...welcome.......

Incidentally how are the Arms laws in Nepal like?Can a foreigner own a firearm? Is hunting legal? If you can keep a firearm,you can bring one back on transfer of residence.If you feel like,you can post your reply in the relevant section of this forum(General ramblings).

penpusher

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:13 pm

Welcome,Terry. Nice to have you amongst us. As penpusher mentioned, we would like to know more about the wildlife and guns in Nepal.Do post often.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:55 am

Welcome aboard Terry! I had met someone in the Washington D.C. area (I think it was way back in '96) who informed me that hunting was very much legal in Nepal, and that there were tour operators running hunting expeditions to Nepal as well!

I am not sure what the law there is, but it would be great if you could find out more and let us know. What kind of game is allowed, what are the laws for foreigners bringing in arms & ammunition for hunts (there might be a special provision in their law for Indian citizens as well).

Look forward to seeing you post here often.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Last edited by mundaire on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:39 am

Comrade/kamrade Parchanda is in Delhi.Maybe we can fix up for a hunt with him and get his assurance that nobody would be held to underwrite the glorious struggle of the people while pursuing a sport of the hated burgeous.

penpusher

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:22 am

Welcome Terry!

Any gun nut (in the most positive and affectionate sense of the term) is welcome, especially if he is a good friend of our most popular member, Mack The Knife! 8)

Abhijeet,

Even through the insurgency, there were firms selling sheep hunts in Nepal at SCI and DSC in the USA. I presume if someone is interested they should still be available. Haven't been to Katmandu since the mid 1980s but there were some nice gun shops there back then. No idea if the royals banned them once trouble started.

penpusher,

I lived briefly in Russia and you wouldn't believe how enthusiastic the Communists are about hunting. Leonid Brezhnev was a very enthusiastic hunter as was Boris Yeltsin who later called himself a "cured Communist." :lol: The Russians made some very fine guns which are exported in small quantities these days to the west. Check out this website and look at their hunting guns. The fine shotguns have to be seen to be believed - with hinged front triggers and internal parts plated with gold, they are very nicely made.

Cheers!

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:26 am

yakyetiyak";p="6168 wrote:
Well here I am. On the edge of a forum I never imagined existed -
Welcome Terry ! And that remark makes me a little nostalgic... my thoughts exactly on coming across the forum :)

Would look forward to your posts.

Sujay
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

yakyetiyak
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by yakyetiyak » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:52 pm

Thank you All !

I feel less like a stranger and more estranged from that edge of the forum feeling now.

I shall try to find out all I can about licensed hunting prospects and arms laws in Nepal. Especially those that answer penpusher's Qs.

Currently am in a better position to contribute with local info on wildlife - have my ears peeled for anything game !

As a matter of fact, Mehul is right. There used to be licensed hunting expeditions in Western Nepal - I shall find out whether they are still in operation now.

Cheers,
Terry

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:12 pm

HI Terry,
Welcome to the jungle...
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."