A Look into the Heart of India's Gun Culture - Vice Media

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

A Look into the Heart of India's Gun Culture - Vice Media

Post by mundaire » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:49 pm

This video was shot in November 2020, but has only recently been released for USA & UK audiences - it is still not available in other locations, so one would need to use a VPN/ VPN Browser Plug-in to see it in India.

NAGRI comes in at around 13:55, albeit briefly.

The easiest way is to download and install the free Chrome VPN extension, it offers free geolocations for USA/ UK/ Singapore and one or two other places, for more locations one needs to subscribe. It's slow, but then it's free and does work for this purpose.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: A Look into the Heart of India's Gun Culture - Vice Media

Post by timmy » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:30 pm

Abhijeet, this is a very interesting video, and I felt that I learned a lot. My comments are:

71 Million guns: So few? I missed an explanation about how they could know how many illegal guns there are. 71 Million guns is not very many, considering India's population.

Dr. Rajpal Singh is a real positive influence, and I heartily salute him for his conviction and work.

Given the crime rate in UP and Delhi, I don't see what justification could be used to deny a citizen a license, given the existing level of danger. It would seem that proof of a threat could consist of one's address.

The stress on women obtaining licenses, shooting for sport, and carrying is a vitally important thing, I think. First of all, women should be armed to protect themselves. The more women who are armed and familiar with arms, the more that gun ownership will be accepted. Women have a tremendous and underrated influence on society. Women's ownership and participation in shooting sports is a great way forward for progress in RKBA, I feel.

Thanks for posting this!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:56 pm

Timmy, I think it may not be off topic to mention here, that Dr. Rajpal Singh was the person who introduced my sister and me to competitive shooting sports in the early 1980's :) So we personally owe him a debt of gratitude for that act of kindness! It's unfortunate that this video isn't easily visible to more members (without using vpn), otherwise I think it's as good a documentary as one can expect from a left leaning media outlet like vice, not overly biased, so long as one is able to look past the obvious lack of gun etiquette of the presenter - but that's something I wouldn't hold against her as few here ever have the opportunity to learn better.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:30 am

Abhijeet, I hope that the presenter has learned something and has changed, at least, somewhat. From the way I saw the video, some very solid reasons for personal gun ownership were presented. From the presenter's point of view, I thought that the case for women having guns was very strongly presented. Several prominent cases of women being sexually assaulted and murdered have been in the news over the last few years. These cases weren't talked about, but the idea of women carrying as a viable protection and deterrent was a case that was ably made, I felt.

Similarlly, the case of the reporter who was attacked was also made. It seems obvious that, unless one is willing to live in a society where the truth of wrongdoing is suppressed and evil allowed to hold sway, something needs to be done so that reporters can have some ability to report those truths.

The corruption of the police and people who wouldn't ordinarily be able to get a gun license definitely showed that the system is not working now, if it ever did. The video certainly highlighted a need for reform in that area.

One thing troubled me: Some mentioned that they were "confident" when they were carrying a gun, and some mentioned that they "had no worries" because they were carrying a gun. The lawyer woman with a gun in the glove box of her car didn't have grounds for 100% confidence in my mind -- she needs to use a proper holster and have that gun on her person. A situation could evolve where she has no time or opportunity to lean over from the steering wheel and get her gun. I would say that her confidence ought not to be 100%.

Even more, when I carry, I never feel 100% confident or 100% safe. I always recall that, while carrying a gun might give me an opportunity, or a good opportunity, to protect myself or a loved one, there is no 100% guarantee of safety because one is carrying a gun. As Humphrey Bogart's character says in the movie, "The Big Sleep," "You're the second person I met today who thinks a gat in the hand means the world by the tail." Not only is a person not invulnerable when carrying a gun, I always recall that, if I were to pull the gun, much less use it, much less kill someone with it, I would be liable to prosecution, fine, and jail. Just like guns don't guarantee personal safety, no system of justice guarantees 100% perfect justice. I take that risk when strapping on a gun.

It seems a foolish thing to me, to think that carrying a gun guarantees anything good. What it does is increase the possibility of avoiding death or injury or being robbed. It is a judgment call, as to whether the risks of carrying a gun are justified by the possibilities of protection it offers. That's why I don't question the choice of others not to carry a gun for personal protection, as long as they don't question my choice or right to carry my own gun, or question the right of others to do so, as well.

My thought would be that Dr. Rajpal Singh's training would correct false thinking about gun ownership and carrying, and instill a respectful and thoughtful approach to what gun ownership, use, and carry means -- in other words, the responsibility of owning a gun.

I hate using the word "hero" anymore, because like the words "patriot" and "patriotism," base people have highjacked "hero" and demeaned the definition of the word. But here, I'll break that practice and say that I think Dr Rajpal Singh is a true hero, and a great asset to society.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Dean Weingarten
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Dean Weingarten » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:22 pm

Well written, thoughtful post.

Good job!